PDA

View Full Version : prewash oiling

MandaMom2Three
September 6th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Ok, I've tried searching for the answer but I'm not finding it, I am admittedly rather computer dumb though :rolleyes:. Anyway I have some questions on prewash oiling.

1- Why? What purpose does this serve? I know coconut oil prewash helps to not loose protein but what else? Does it keep your hair from drying out?

2- Cones? Do they make any difference when using prewash oilings? Would they make them less effective, more beneficial....any effect at all?

Anything else good to know?

ericthegreat
September 6th, 2009, 08:58 PM
A pre-shampoo treatment will help to re-introduce moisture into your hair. Certain types of oils like coconut and olive are better able to penetrate deeper into your hair strands so the benefits they offer won't wash out as easily.

Coconut oil contains a decent amount of protein. Depending on your particular hair needs, you may or may not need to use it. You could use a different oil instead like olive oil or my personal favorite now Ojon.

Cones don't completely prevent your hair from absorbing the benefits of oiling, but if you abuse them and your hair is completely coated with them, then they might block your hair from fully absorbing as much of the oil as it could without all those cones.

mira-chan
September 6th, 2009, 09:13 PM
Ok, I've tried searching for the answer but I'm not finding it, I am admittedly rather computer dumb though :rolleyes:. Anyway I have some questions on prewash oiling.

1- Why? What purpose does this serve? I know coconut oil prewash helps to not loose protein but what else? Does it keep your hair from drying out?

2- Cones? Do they make any difference when using prewash oilings? Would they make them less effective, more beneficial....any effect at all?

Anything else good to know?
1- It protect the hair from being over dried, yes. Plus, especially with herbs, it helps the hair not be damaged by friction of washing. Some oils also penetrate the hair shaft thus helping maintain it's structure and malleability from the inside. This makes hair less brittle. Even if the oils doesn't penetrate it will soften the hair. Something that bends is less likely to break.

2- I don't use cone so can't help here. In practice as cones seal, they can prevent the penetrating oils from doing so.

ChloeDharma
September 7th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Oils can also help replace the EFA's tht can be lost from the hair shaft over time. They only make up a small percentage of the hairs structure but are important. Like Mira Chan pointed out, if the oils are not there and the hai is less flexible it will be more prone to breakage.
I also find that a large amount of oil is needed when i wash my hair as it is fine and quite fragile so can easily be overwashed and damaged by that.
Oils also contain nutrients, which nourish the scalp and therefore the developing hair.

missfortune9335
September 7th, 2009, 06:15 AM
I have a question about this too, I've read a few times that oil essentially just coats the hair shaft preventing moisture from being lost. So that if you oil dry hair essentially you're keeping what moisture is in there from being lost, but you're also preventing the hair from taking IN any moisture as well. If that's true wouldn't oiling before washing prevent the hair from benefiting from the conditioner? Wouldn't it be best to oil the hair after washing while it is still slightly damp?

mira-chan
September 7th, 2009, 03:17 PM
I have a question about this too, I've read a few times that oil essentially just coats the hair shaft preventing moisture from being lost. So that if you oil dry hair essentially you're keeping what moisture is in there from being lost, but you're also preventing the hair from taking IN any moisture as well. If that's true wouldn't oiling before washing prevent the hair from benefiting from the conditioner? Wouldn't it be best to oil the hair after washing while it is still slightly damp?
This varies greatly with what your hair likes. As is usual for the LHC methodology, nothing is once size fits all.

I am sure pre-wash oiling does give conditioner interference for some. Especially if it is a coating only oil. A lot of people do oil lightly post wash on damp hair with great results.

My hair on the other hand, doesn't like water. It likes conditioner when it's wet, but any misting (on dry or wet hair) or oiling wet caused really gunky hair that has no shine. I'm guessing part of the problem for me is that my water is super chlorinated and I'm sensitive to chlorine. The pre-wash oiling is preventing the chlorine ions from damaging my hair and skin.

feralnature
September 7th, 2009, 03:39 PM
My hair likes coconut oil anytime. I believe it is trial and error with oil just like many products. Just get some coconut and start using it. Tiny amounts at first, like the size of a pea rubbed into your fingers to melt and then rub into the ends of your hair and distribute in your hair (not near the roots, just the ends). If your hair drinks it up, add more oil in small increments. Or wait an hour and see how much your hair "drinks up". You will soon get the hang of oiling your ends. I rarely oil after I wash because I forget, no other reason.

Just get some coconut oil from the baking section of Walmart for instance. I use LouAna and it works fine, very inexpensive. I have no split ends btw. My hair has not been cut in close to 2 years. The ends are a bit dry from old dye but not split at all.

Elphie
September 7th, 2009, 03:48 PM
Coconut oil contains a decent amount of protein.

No, it does not. Coconut oil will help your hair from losing protien but it doesn't contain any. It's a fatty acid. Perhaps you're thinking of coconut milk?

Eryka
September 7th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I oil pre and post washing. Granted my pre-oil is VERY heavy handed and the post is just enough to cover the last 3/4 of my length and then comb through. This after my leave-in conditioner goes on. Moisture starved much? Hahaha.

spidermom
September 7th, 2009, 03:53 PM
I've read a few times that oil essentially just coats the hair shaft preventing moisture from being lost. So that if you oil dry hair essentially you're keeping what moisture is in there from being lost, but you're also preventing the hair from taking IN any moisture as well. If that's true wouldn't oiling before washing prevent the hair from benefiting from the conditioner? Wouldn't it be best to oil the hair after washing while it is still slightly damp?

Some oils do only coat the hair shaft - like mineral oil.

Other oils, like olive and coconut oil, penetrate the hair shaft and replace lost essential fatty acids. Conditioners will help your hair to retain the EFAs plus add more as most of them contain oils that penetrate the hair shaft and other ingredients to coat the cuticle and help retain the moisture (like cones).

It's worth trying both ways - prewash oiling AND damp oiling. My hair responds well to both, also to prewash oiling and post-wash conditioning with cones.

spidermom
September 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM
P.S. - Some people get confused about what "moisturize" means. In gardening, it always means water. In cosmetics, "moisturize" means replacing lost oils (or essential fatty acids) as well as water. Some products replace oil, some water, and many products, like conditioner, do both.

getoffmyskittle
September 7th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I do it, and I love it! I saturate my hair in coconut oil and leave it overnight before washing. I don't know why it works, but it makes my hair softer, less frizzy, and more shiny. It also seems to keep the ends from drying out. :)

I have done it with and without cones.

kwaniesiam
September 7th, 2009, 04:43 PM
Also a fain of prewash oiling. Its the only time I ever use oil except on my very ends in a braid or something. I usually wet my hair down, apply a ton of coconut oil and Nightblooming's Panacea Hair Salve on the ends, then braid and wash the next morning. It makes my hair feel less stripped, tames frizz, and gives it great shine that I don't get from just a normal wash. I do this about once a week, and I'm a daily washer.

Magicknthenight
September 7th, 2009, 04:57 PM
I started as putting a little oil in my hair after i shower. But now a days i usually put a bit more in so its pretty heavily oiled all the time then after its dry (or sometimes when damp) i put it up. So i guess I'd have to say i do it all the time...
I feel weird only putting a scrape on now haha unless i wear it down but at this point of wearing it up for so long it feels odd being down anyway :P
all this extra length haha and it seems like when i do wanna wear it down the wind kicks in e_e so up it goes. (Nikki=1 wind=0) hah :brains: any who..O_O i think oiling defiantly helps..though I've been doing it so long..i dunno what its like without it hah
I was wondering about the protein thing with coconut oil as well since lately my hair seems a little dry :( was gonna try a SMT but i dont have most of the stuff i'd need and i always got the ebil curds :lol: Ahh so I'm at a loss:undecided...But i've been using a little less oil thinking maybe I've over done that and getting it out..(whither it be CO or letting shampoo from my scalp rinse down)...
Sometimes switching up the oil helps though! :toofers:

missfortune9335
September 7th, 2009, 06:43 PM
ahhh, thanks spidermom!