PDA

View Full Version : Cautionary tale for parents of long haired children.

allege
September 6th, 2009, 07:42 PM
Today my nieces got a couple Zhu Zhu pets. Little hamsters that roll around and make noises.

My youngest niece, who is five and loves her long curly hair. I was sitting in the den sewing when she started yelling for me to help her. Her hair had gotten ate up into the small wheels on the bottom of the Zhu Zhu pet. After figuring out how to turn the pet off so it wouldn't keep eating her hair I tried to unwind her hair. That didn't work.

The poor girl started crying when I broke the news to her that I would have to cut her hair.

It was just a couple little snips that blended in with her curls but she was so sad that I had to take scissors to her hair.

Fractalsofhair
September 6th, 2009, 07:47 PM
This is probably a good reason to wear hair up when playing with electronics!!!XD

patience
September 6th, 2009, 07:51 PM
Poor thing. I'm sure it was traumatic for her. It's sad to say, but I've had the same thing happen to me a few years ago. :o

Addy
September 6th, 2009, 09:20 PM
My cousin once tried to come after me with a mixer that you mix cake batter with. My mom about had a fit on him. :agape:

Poor girl. I so feel for her. I'd be devistated if I caught something in my hair that had to be cut out. :(

missfortune9335
September 7th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Ahhh! That made me have flashbacks! lol, I had long waist length hair as a little girl and my brother would run his battery operated hot wheels car through it once in a while because he thought is was funny! Ugh. somehow my mom always managed to get it out with minimal cutting, but I have no idea how...

Redheaded Raven
September 7th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Everyone used to get round hair brushes caught in my hair when I was young.

My mom got to be a whiz at getting it out.... She got a lot of practice!

Thing was, at the time my hair wasn't that long.

They just would roll it up and there it was. Stuck. All the way to the scalp.:shocked:

Fortunately she rarely had to cut anything.

Phalaenopsis
September 7th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Ouch, I would cry a bit too I think, even though I'm all grown up :o

Thank God that hair grows. :)

Arkady
September 7th, 2009, 08:18 AM
Aww, poor love. That must have been very upsetting for her. How long is her hair?

Lamb
September 7th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Stories like this always make me think that, angry as we tend to be with mothers who kept us in short cuts throughout childhood, short hair on kids makes sense. Getting it caught in the hamster wheel is relatively harmless compared to the several accidents it can lead to.

Rivanariko
September 7th, 2009, 09:47 AM
My little brother used to twist his hair when he was a little kid, kind of like some kids suck their thumbs, he would twist his hair around his fingers. It was on the longish side, so you didn't notice the little bald-spot that it created where he pulled it out when he was little. We were visiting my grandmother one weekend, and he managed to get his fingers knotted into his hair and couldn't get them out. I'm still not quite sure how he did this. She had to cut the clump of hair off at the scalp. He has thick enough hair that it wasn't too noticeable, if I remember right, but I still remember it being quite traumatic for him! His hair wasn't even that long at that point. Just enough to cover his ears, I think.

allege
September 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Her hair is nearly waist length with these really long side swept bangs. Her hair naturally grew out like that, makes me jealous she has such beautiful hair.

My sister lets each of her two girls pick their own hair cut, because when we were little our parents picked our hair cuts for us. She always had long hair and hated it, I always had short hair and hated it.

The oldest niece has short hair, a piece-y chin grazing hair cut. The youngest loves her hair long, and won't walk out of the house with out a hair clip or hair band in. She already has a love of hair toys.

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 08:57 AM
Aww, cutting can definitely be traumatic for a young long-hair lover. It totally was for my daughter when her big brother cut huge chunks of her hair off earlier this spring, almost to her scalp. (Thanks, Disney! :rolleyes:) Maybe she will be more careful from now on, and this can be turned into a positive learning experience somehow. :flower:

Sheltie_Momma
September 8th, 2009, 01:35 PM
When I was a child I had my waist length hair caught between two ropes that were intertwined to make a tire swing. I had spun and spun the tire swing, not realizing my hair was caught. I ended up hanging literally by my scalp screaming my head off. Thank goodness Mom cut the swing down and then laid me across her lap for two hours untwining my hair.