PDA

View Full Version : Warning...Curly RANT!!!

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
Ok so I had nothing to do today so I figured I'd play with my hair ( a favorite hobby of mine) I lurked on the boards a bit and decided to comb out my hair. So I sat down with my shower comb, a spritzer of water and some shea butter. I combed it all out gently, spritzed it with water, spread on some shea butter and finally put it up in a bun. So stupid me wasn't expecting a bunch of tangles when I showered later...WRONG!!! Ot took me just as long to get through my hair with a comb and I even added some jojoba oil in with my suave. Then when I got it detangled there was this one part in the back of my canopy that is like cotton candy, I would carefully detangle then go to comb through the whole thing and the comb snagged in the same spot...I went through this process over and over about 3 times. I was finally able to separate the offending part and put some more jojoba on the ends and finally get through it all.

Here I'm thinking, ok...I believe everything happens for a reason, all so-called problems are really lessons in disguise. So I'm thinking, what possible lesson could the Universe be trying to teach me by giving my unbearable tangled hair!!!

Maybe I need a whole lot more moisture, I do us Suave for everything and I know there is none in that stuff.

Ok Rant over!!! I feel better!

Bunnyhare
September 6th, 2009, 06:07 PM
wow, you had a fun hair time ,didn't ya? i have no advice but i believe everything happens for a reason too, so maybe you just needed to have a "slow it down" day!:0)I hardly ever get tangled, unless i have the windows down and hair down but not normally,sorry..

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 06:23 PM
wow, you had a fun hair time ,didn't ya? i have no advice but i believe everything happens for a reason too, so maybe you just needed to have a "slow it down" day!:0)I hardly ever get tangled, unless i have the windows down and hair down but not normally,sorry..

I think it's just the nature of the beast that is curly hair. I can just finish combing it and with the next pass of the comb...it's tangled again. With the length and weight the top part has relaxed quite a bit so I am hoping beings I'm trying to grow my layers out, that as it gets longer and heavier it will loosen up the rest of the curls, maybe give me a break with the tangles!

rhubarbarin
September 6th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Tangles must suck but I have to admit, I never get them (and we have similar hair types!).

Anyway I'm glad you got everything out without having to cut or break hair. There must be something you can put in it or a way to style it that won't require detangling later..

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Tangles must suck but I have to admit, I never get them (and we have similar hair types!).

Anyway I'm glad you got everything out without having to cut or break hair. There must be something you can put in it or a way to style it that won't require detangling later..

I'm sure there is, I could wear it up all the time which would be best but that's my problem, I am so in love with the feeling of my hair on my back, or blowing in the breeze. But today I didn't even do anything, I mean I was home and it shouldn't have really gotten tangled. So I have to be doing something wrong. Maybe I need to run my fingers through it more often during the day to keep the tangles to a minimum and I must have to moisturize A LOT more than I do, I just don't wanna get greasy.

curls2grow
September 6th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Just trying to offer a suggestion.

I finger-comb my dry hair occasionally. In the morning before shower or CO washing, I don't touch my hair (no matter what I've put in it at night, like oil, cream conditioner of some sort, etc.) I just get in and CO or WO wash and then rinse my hair. I don't try to detangle until I get leave-in on my hair. I finger-comb/rake that that through. Then combing is not a prob and my hair doesn't re-tangle. Until I did this, detangling woudl take me forever and I would get so much breakage even if I was gentle. Leave-in first on wet hair / detangling second has made a world of difference for me.

redcelticcurls
September 6th, 2009, 07:49 PM
Attempting to comb out my hair with a water spritzers amount of water would have done the same thing to me. I only detangle or comb out sopping wet - unless it's for an 80s day or a brush out thread. The mess it makes is tremendous.

redcelticcurls
September 6th, 2009, 07:52 PM
I'm sure there is, I could wear it up all the time which would be best but that's my problem, I am so in love with the feeling of my hair on my back, or blowing in the breeze. But today I didn't even do anything, I mean I was home and it shouldn't have really gotten tangled. So I have to be doing something wrong. Maybe I need to run my fingers through it more often during the day to keep the tangles to a minimum and I must have to moisturize A LOT more than I do, I just don't wanna get greasy.

For a curly, that would probably just cause more tangles, and it could certainly lead to increased frizz and decreased curl definition.

One of the biggest rules of curly hair care, after moisturizing, is no touching.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 08:25 PM
For a curly, that would probably just cause more tangles, and it could certainly lead to increased frizz and decreased curl definition.

One of the biggest rules of curly hair care, after moisturizing, is no touching.

Oh really..you think? I only figure because I have such tangle prone hair it might help...I mean I know a lot of curly girls get 2nd day hair and more, I I don't detangle ever day in the shower...I end up with one big girl that could eat Manhattan!lol You know what I mean...just a mass of mess that takes forever to separate.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks for any suggestions, and RCC, I was in the shower when I had my horrid experience, I was under the shower spray with conditoner and everything, I had done that water bottle thing earlier in the day. This one part of my hair in the back is kinda sticky, not from stuff, just sticky if that makes sense, I wonder if that means it is porous and I wonder if that is from damage.

redcelticcurls
September 6th, 2009, 08:37 PM
Oh really..you think? I only figure because I have such tangle prone hair it might help...I mean I know a lot of curly girls get 2nd day hair and more, I I don't detangle ever day in the shower...I end up with one big girl that could eat Manhattan!lol You know what I mean...just a mass of mess that takes forever to separate.

I get 2nd day hair, but mostly because I use a sleep hat and try not to touch it, lol.

Also, I use toonnnnnnssss of conditioner and work it in before I even grab the comb. I can go through a bottle a week if detangle daily. Multi-day hair saves me time and money, lol.

I also have porous hair. For me, weekly ACV rinses help and so does oil sealing. I'm not sure how it's done here. I do it the way I learned over at NC.com

After using a leave-in, I use a little bit of oil over my leave-in. I like mango oil because it is buttery and my hair does far better with buttery oils than liquid ones. It seems to help keep the moisture from the leave-in in my hair, and it does seem to tangle less since I've been doing it. I'll never be tangle free as a curly, but it does help a lot.

is this tangling something new, or a normal thing for you? If it's new, you may have an ingredient issue or something else going on.

Speckla
September 6th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I sometimes have some nasty tangles and I wet my hand, add a blob of conditioner, and work them out by hand. There's no way I could get a comb through them first without tearing out sections of hair. What suave are you using?

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 08:48 PM
I sometimes have some nasty tangles and I wet my hand, add a blob of conditioner, and work them out by hand. There's no way I could get a comb through them first without tearing out sections of hair. What suave are you using? I use Suave Naturals Cherry Blossom most of the time. When I detagled with the spray bottle I separated it all, then finger combed it first and then spritzed and used a comb and added some shea butter.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 08:54 PM
I get 2nd day hair, but mostly because I use a sleep hat and try not to touch it, lol.

Also, I use toonnnnnnssss of conditioner and work it in before I even grab the comb. I can go through a bottle a week if detangle daily. Multi-day hair saves me time and money, lol.

I also have porous hair. For me, weekly ACV rinses help and so does oil sealing. I'm not sure how it's done here. I do it the way I learned over at NC.com

After using a leave-in, I use a little bit of oil over my leave-in. I like mango oil because it is buttery and my hair does far better with buttery oils than liquid ones. It seems to help keep the moisture from the leave-in in my hair, and it does seem to tangle less since I've been doing it. I'll never be tangle free as a curly, but it does help a lot.

is this tangling something new, or a normal thing for you? If it's new, you may have an ingredient issue or something else going on.

Even if I slept in something like that just from having my curls all day, say Monday when I get up Tuesday they'll look ok, but just be all matted underneath, I could spritz it to make it presentable cause I've done it before but I stopped because then finally detangling Tuesday night was so difficult and I lost so much hair that it just wasn't worth it.

It's not really something new, it's my canopy that is just the worst. And especially that one part of the canopy that seems to be extra porous and sticks to itself all the time. I'm just noticing so much more now, because my hair is getting longer and I want to get to maybe hip length it's something that is really concerning me now.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 09:26 PM
I think I need a bunch more moisture. I do generally leave some conditioner in for hold ( but it's Suave so no moisture) now should I be oiling before I put the conditioner in or after? Sometimes I feel like the conditioner coats my hair and may not allow any healthy oils in.

redcelticcurls
September 6th, 2009, 09:46 PM
I think I need a bunch more moisture. I do generally leave some conditioner in for hold ( but it's Suave so no moisture) now should I be oiling before I put the conditioner in or after? Sometimes I feel like the conditioner coats my hair and may not allow any healthy oils in.

If Suave is your only conditioner, you might want to invest in something that has some moisture in it if you are having dry tangles. Suave is good for CO washing, but it may not be up to actually conditioning dry curly hair.

Or, you could be high or low on protein as well as moisture (http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/).

I put oil on on top of my leave-in. I don't use the oil to put oil into my hair. I use the oil to seal (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=64577&highlight=sealing) the conditioner layer on top of my hair. Not everyone does it this way though.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 09:59 PM
If Suave is your only conditioner, you might want to invest in something that has some moisture in it if you are having dry tangles. Suave is good for CO washing, but it may not be up to actually conditioning dry curly hair.

Or, you could be high or low on protein as well as moisture (http://pittsburghcurly.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/protein-vs-moisture/).

I put oil on on top of my leave-in. I don't use the oil to put oil into my hair. I use the oil to seal (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=64577&highlight=sealing) the conditioner layer on top of my hair. Not everyone does it this way though.

Yeah I know I should have another conditioner right now but money is tight and Suave is the right price. So it is really my best option is to add things into my Suave and put more stuff in my hair so that I can get more moisture that way. I kinda have to until I can afford pricier more moisturizing CG conditioners.

marikamt
September 6th, 2009, 10:00 PM
Sorry about the tangles.... but it is SOOOOOOOO pretty! Major curl envy going on..... :D

redcelticcurls
September 6th, 2009, 10:09 PM
Yeah I know I should have another conditioner right now but money is tight and Suave is the right price. So it is really my best option is to add things into my Suave and put more stuff in my hair so that I can get more moisture that way. I kinda have to until I can afford pricier more moisturizing CG conditioners.

It can be a PITA. The Aubrey line can be had for about $10, but the bottle should last you a lot longer than a bottle of Suave does. I can get a good amount of time from a bottle, and I don't skimp on conditioner.

Some curlies also like the GVP conditioning balm (a Biolage knock off) from Sally's for under $10.

I'm not sure what you could add to Suave to give it more moisture. People add oils and honey, but oil is oil and not a moisturizer, and honey is a humectant and doesn't impart its own moisture per se. Oil can keep the moisture in. Honey is a humectant and works with the surrounding environment to take in moisture from the air, which is why some get frizz from it in high humidity conditions.

Sometimes a dry crackly canopy is from lack of protein

redcelticcurls
September 6th, 2009, 10:11 PM
Sorry about the tangles.... but it is SOOOOOOOO pretty! Major curl envy going on..... :D

It is! I wouldn't have guessed the OP felt her hair was dry at all from the nice picture

hmmruka
September 6th, 2009, 10:16 PM
I have hair that tangles very easily too! Sometimes I swear my hair is trying make its own dreadlocks. Ii use All Soft shampoo and conditioner Redkin, and finish with the leave in conditioner that Mixed Chicks makes and i hardly have a problem ever. Its kind of expensive stuff but well worth the money I think.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 10:20 PM

Thanks...I guess we all want what we can't have...I've always wanted silky, wavy locks.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks I'm gonna look ok eBay to see if I can find any cheap moisturizing stuff. Next time I hit walmart I look around for more than suave and see what I can find. I do have two bottle of this pomegranit peach stuff that was moisturizing.

redcelticcurls
September 6th, 2009, 10:48 PM
Thanks I'm gonna look ok eBay to see if I can find any cheap moisturizing stuff. Next time I hit walmart I look around for more than suave and see what I can find. I do have two bottle of this pomegranit peach stuff that was moisturizing.

Oh, the Back to Basics one? Lots of curlies liked that one too.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 07:54 AM
Oh, the Back to Basics one? Lots of curlies liked that one too.

Yeah that's the one, I think I got it on ebay a while ago. I still have two bottles left, not sure why I was saving, but those should get me through the week. I'm hoping to find something good that I can afford at Walmart rather than pay shipping charges on ebay. But eventually and when I can afford it I would like to get a big bottle of Redkin Fresh Curl, I kinda remember liking that one.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 08:32 AM
It can be a PITA. The Aubrey line can be had for about $10, but the bottle should last you a lot longer than a bottle of Suave does. I can get a good amount of time from a bottle, and I don't skimp on conditioner.

Some curlies also like the GVP conditioning balm (a Biolage knock off) from Sally's for under $10.

I'm not sure what you could add to Suave to give it more moisture. People add oils and honey, but oil is oil and not a moisturizer, and honey is a humectant and doesn't impart its own moisture per se. Oil can keep the moisture in. Honey is a humectant and works with the surrounding environment to take in moisture from the air, which is why some get frizz from it in high humidity conditions.

Sometimes a dry crackly canopy is from lack of protein

So do you use your heavier conditioner every day? I am looking at Aussie Moist, I could probably try a bottle of that from Walmart for not too much, I guess I may need to clarify more. One of my splurges around tax refund time will be a few of the salon huge bottles of conditioner. Do you have any recommendations for ones that don't have proteins, they seem to build up on me and make me crunchy?

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 08:46 AM
So do you use your heavier conditioner every day? I am looking at Aussie Moist, I could probably try a bottle of that from Walmart for not too much, I guess I may need to clarify more. One of my splurges around tax refund time will be a few of the salon huge bottles of conditioner. Do you have any recommendations for ones that don't have proteins, they seem to build up on me and make me crunchy?

Aussie Moist is amazing. I have it sitting on my tub right now. That's what I typically turn too if my hair is misbehaving and tangling terrible and I can't figure out why. It always sets my hair straight (pun). I was going to come back to recommend it. :)

Suave Clarifying and Aussie Moist Shampoo and conditioner are staples that I keep. They're the no fail backups.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Aussie Moist is amazing. I have it sitting on my tub right now. That's what I typically turn too if my hair is misbehaving and tangling terrible and I can't figure out why. It always sets my hair straight (pun). I was going to come back to recommend it. :)

Suave Clarifying and Aussie Moist Shampoo and conditioner are staples that I keep. They're the no fail backups.

Sounds like a plan, how much is the Aussie Moist and are there proteins in it? I may also be making a trip to Sally's when I can swing it too.

Maybe that has been my problem all along, not enough moisturizing conditioner.

GlassEyes
September 7th, 2009, 08:54 AM
I'll cast in another vote for the Aubrey and GVP lines. Both work incredibly for me.

This just occurred to me, but a few months back, my hair was misbehaving pretty damn badly. Back then, I was only using Suave. I'm not sure if it was protein overload or something (I was using Suave Coconut, which has protein), but it was misbehaving.

What worked for me, and has worked for me since then, is using heavier conditioners after my CO wash. So, basically, I agree with what RCC has said. Aubrey DOES last a fairly long time (especially HSR, though I prefer White Camellia), and the GVP is so cheap I don't skimp on it, and keep a few bottles on hand. :shrug:

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 08:55 AM
Oops...never mind...it looks like there is a cone in there

bis-aminopropyl dimethicone

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Oops...never mind...it looks like there is a cone in there

bis-aminopropyl dimethicone

There's been much discussion on whether it's water soluble or not. I've never had buildup even when I used it by itself. It made the difference of night and day for the times I've used it. I'm no poo for the most part and cone free but that's one cone I don't mind.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 09:21 AM
Ok, well I am off next Tuesday 15th and I get paid that day too so I think I will head to Walmart and maybe even to Sally's I will try a bottle of the Aussie Moist and then check to see what they got at Sally's. I'm all excited now...experimenting is so much fun.

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Yeah. Sometimes certain cones are more of a help with curly hair than a curly hinderance. The plus is that it also smells wonderful.

BTW, you have gorgeous hair and I hope mine looks like yours in the next year.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Yeah. Sometimes certain cones are more of a help with curly hair than a curly hinderance. The plus is that it also smells wonderful.

BTW, you have gorgeous hair and I hope mine looks like yours in the next year.

Aw thanks. I just need them to loosen up a bit right now it's like they are Super Curls!lol I mean when I used to relax my hair, as soon as I'd wet it, it was curly again. If I wanted it straight I still had to blow dry all the relaxer did was make it easier to straighten but it still took me a while to do.

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 09:43 AM
Relaxers just made it easier for me to flatiron. And they helped make my stylist wealthier. I had to get haircuts more often because of broken ends and my hair would never grow longer than shoulder before breaking off.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 09:48 AM
Relaxers just made it easier for me to flatiron. And they helped make my stylist wealthier. I had to get haircuts more often because of broken ends and my hair would never grow longer than shoulder before breaking off.

I had a girlfriend of mine who is black tell me that when they she got relaxer and wet her hair it was still straight. I mean when got mine, sometimes I would get it just because it made my curls less pouffy, and I would wear it curly in the summer, cause blow drying was futile in the heat.

I'll be using some of my B2B Pom Peach today...we'll see what a difference it makes and I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 09:50 AM
I had a girlfriend of mine who is black tell me that when they she got relaxer and wet her hair it was still straight. I mean when got mine, sometimes I would get it just because it made my curls less pouffy, and I would wear it curly in the summer, cause blow drying was futile in the heat.

I'll be using some of my B2B Pom Peach today...we'll see what a difference it makes and I'll keep you all posted on my progress.

It depends on the strength of the relaxer. Caucasian hair (in my experience with relaxers and using different kinds) usually does better with a wilder relaxer because the harsher ones will make the hair break faster due to increased damage.

Keep me posted on the progress. Thanks!

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
It depends on the strength of the relaxer. Caucasian hair (in my experience with relaxers and using different kinds) usually does better with a wilder relaxer because the harsher ones will make the hair break faster due to increased damage.

Keep me posted on the progress. Thanks!

Yeah, I'm Biracial and I went to a black salon cause most white ones really didn't know what to do with me. So it was a relaxer for black hair...I'm telling you...SUPER CURLS!!! They should wear a cape...they laugh at chemicals..lol

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 10:23 AM
Yeah, I'm Biracial and I went to a black salon cause most white ones really didn't know what to do with me. So it was a relaxer for black hair...I'm telling you...SUPER CURLS!!! They should wear a cape...they laugh at chemicals..lol

lol. I always used a kid perm when I relaxed my own hair. Too strong relaxers would eat my hair. Guess I should have used cheese. Would have been hair friendlier.:cheese:

Zéphine
September 7th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Aww, I'm sorry your hair acted up. Your curls are so pretty. I can totally relate about the tangles. My hair's barely 1b in waviness but it's been known to form giant rat's nests that take hours to untangle.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 10:58 AM
lol. I always used a kid perm when I relaxed my own hair. Too strong relaxers would eat my hair. Guess I should have used cheese. Would have been hair friendlier.:cheese:

Man...if I knew then what I know now...or if I had listened to my mon and never relaxed my curls and instead found someone who knew what to do with them...I could have saved myself so much torture and misery

P.S. I was looking up Alba Botanica...that's stuff looks pretty good, no cones or proteins, I may be able to afford that too...man I love Walmart!!

~GypsyCurls~
September 7th, 2009, 11:16 AM
After conditioning, I comb my hair, then put all my styling products in when my hair is still wet/damp. After that I do not touch it and I get minimal frizz and no tangles. I like playing with my hair too...but if I do it when it's dry it goes nuts lol.

redcelticcurls
September 7th, 2009, 01:06 PM

This summer I've been adding more keratin, which is the only protein my coarsish hair can handle. I've been using Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Conditioner, which is a lighter version of the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. It's more medium than heavy, but it is pricey.

The Aussie wasn't quite enough for me, but it does have many curly fans, as Speckla enthusiastically supports it, and there is a through blog post about it on CurlyNikki's site (http://www.curlynikki.com/2009/02/aussie-moist-conditioner.html).

In the winter and fall, I do use the Aubrey line a lot. But, my hair is dry by nature (was dry when virgin) plus I color, so I do better with bigger guns, lol. The Aubrey Honeysuckle Rose and WHite Camellia are protein free or very low protein, and I believe the GVP Conditioning Balm is as well.

rhubarbarin
September 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Just trying to offer a suggestion.

I finger-comb my dry hair occasionally. In the morning before shower or CO washing, I don't touch my hair (no matter what I've put in it at night, like oil, cream conditioner of some sort, etc.) I just get in and CO or WO wash and then rinse my hair. I don't try to detangle until I get leave-in on my hair. I finger-comb/rake that that through. Then combing is not a prob and my hair doesn't re-tangle. Until I did this, detangling woudl take me forever and I would get so much breakage even if I was gentle. Leave-in first on wet hair / detangling second has made a world of difference for me.

This is basically what I do. I never, ever detangle or run my fingers through dry hair - only on wet hair covered in product. Because of this, I say I have no tangles.. but if I did run my fingers (or a comb) through dry curls, you can bet I would!!

Moisture is key for me too. Usually my dry hair has a moisturizing conditioner left in, a moisturizing gel over top of that, and often one or more applications of oil that I put in when it started to feel dry during the day...

As long as you are not getting big, snarly mats that you can't get through in the shower with lots of conditioner, maybe you could try a more low-touch approach.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 02:25 PM
It seems like the worst offender is one part directly in back of my head, in the canopy part and it's really only on the last 12 inches of that part, the top part is smoother. That's about 2 years of growth. I've had layers in my hair for a while and that part was shorter so I am wondering if I never cut all the damage off from there.

Also I found a few more bottles of good stuff in bathroom that can tide me over for the moment. I found a partially used bottle of pom peach in the new salmon colored bottle so that makes almost 3 bottles of that stuff. I found a bottle of Burt's Bees Grapefruit conditioner and a bottle and a piece of Elucence I think it's called. We'll see how I do detangling in the shower tonight.

redcelticcurls
September 7th, 2009, 02:36 PM
Although the protein from the Brewer's Yeast eventually got to me, I found that Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner (if that is what you have) was a pretty good detangler.

Speckla
September 7th, 2009, 04:52 PM
All this talk of Aussie must have gotten stuck in my brain. I got sweaty and gross at the gym so I came home and was going to cowash. Well, I grabbed the shampoo instead. The bottles are the same color and the shampoo and conditioner look the same. I was suprised when my conditioner started to suds. :) I said, heck with it and did the whole shampoo, condition, leave-in, gel, and then used a detangling comb. Guess I'm good for the month. ;) The comb slipped through my hair like buttah.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Although the protein from the Brewer's Yeast eventually got to me, I found that Elucence Moisture Balance Conditioner (if that is what you have) was a pretty good detangler.

I had to do a quick shower earlier today ( to go meet a man! yummy!) So I didn't spend much time on it but I did use the pom-peach and the tangles came out easier, I just had to rewet cause I didn't use enough leave-in for hold but I just rewet and I think it feels better. We'll see how it is when it dries...so far so good.

Debra83
September 7th, 2009, 07:05 PM
A less than dime size amount of Eqyss Detangler will keep those tangles out of there!!!! Makes any tangles soooooo combable, like butter.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 7th, 2009, 07:14 PM
A less than dime size amount of Eqyss Detangler will keep those tangles out of there!!!! Makes any tangles soooooo combable, like butter.

What's that? Is it expensive? And Cone-free?

EmpressRi
September 7th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Shea butter forms a protective coating...which is GREAT on your skin!! On your hair...it can work for you or against you. I can't use straight shea butter on my hair as the coating makes it feel dry, and maybe that's what cause your hair to tangle up so.

You should use something slippery to keep your hair tangle free as possible. I detangle in the shower with my conditioner in, then again out of the shower when applying product. I can go for a week with my hair loose and not have tons of tangles by the next time wash day comes around. Gotta train your hair not to get tangled~!

nowxisxforever
September 7th, 2009, 10:43 PM
My hair is closer to wavy than curly, but I CERTAINLY feel you-- I get tangles like none other! Perhaps it's time for a S&D session? I know my hair tangles more before an S&D, the splits will tangle the rest of it up!

Aer
September 8th, 2009, 12:25 AM
As my husband always tells me, it hurts to be pretty!!!

Curlsgirl
September 8th, 2009, 07:39 AM
I thought when I read your original post that it might be the shea butter too. I cannot use that stuff. It's just a sticky mess in my hair. I also can't use some of the other products listed here though like Aussie moist (does nothing for me) and Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose is just not a good enough detangler for me. I also only usually detangle with a lot of conditioner in my hair. Lately I have been using my Denman brush and working gently from the ends of my hair up. I have been using either Biolage or KCKT for a leave-in and layering with AG re:coil and maybe some gel. I almost always use some coconut oil on it too after it's dry to scrunch out the crunch and then I never comb it until I wet it down again and wash and condition. If I do it is a huge messy frizzball!

Presto
September 8th, 2009, 09:58 AM
I have a terrible problem with snarls too. :( Makes me hate my hair some days.

I also lose wads and wads of hair when I try to comb it when it's wet. :( So I can't detangle in the shower with conditioner. Or afterwards when it's slippery with leave in.

I comb out before the shower with a wide toothed comb, do what I do to "wash", add leave ins, etc. I do a minimum of finger detangling afterwards, it's more like organizing it than actually getting tangles out.

I use Suave coconut, White Rain coconut, GVP conditioning balm, Nature's Gate (the one with henna, nettle, rosemary and camomile) conditioner, and Shikai shampoo in various combinations at a whim. The Suave or White Rain seem like the best leave ins that don't leave my hair too tacky/sticky the next morning for comb out.
Sometimes I CO, sometimes I use the Shikai.

I am an every day "washer". I think I shed more when I skip a day, but it could be two days worth of shed fooling me.

CowgirlKate
September 8th, 2009, 02:08 PM
What's that? Is it expensive? And Cone-free?

Eqyss Survivor detangler is amazing. It can be expensive but if you shop for it online you can get it cheaper. Here is a link to their site http://eqyss-online.stores.yahoo.net/sursupdetshi.html The bottle I have says it is cone, alcohol, and cruelty free. I currently use that and their avocado mist. I love the smell of both and they work great.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 8th, 2009, 07:10 PM
I will definitely check out that detangler

PhillyGirl1978@
September 8th, 2009, 07:19 PM
I thought when I read your original post that it might be the shea butter too. I cannot use that stuff. It's just a sticky mess in my hair. I also can't use some of the other products listed here though like Aussie moist (does nothing for me) and Aubrey organics honeysuckle rose is just not a good enough detangler for me. I also only usually detangle with a lot of conditioner in my hair. Lately I have been using my Denman brush and working gently from the ends of my hair up. I have been using either Biolage or KCKT for a leave-in and layering with AG re:coil and maybe some gel. I almost always use some coconut oil on it too after it's dry to scrunch out the crunch and then I never comb it until I wet it down again and wash and condition. If I do it is a huge messy frizzball!

I can't do the brushing thing, when I did that before my hair thinned out something terrible. I'm sure I can try some trial and error with some heavier conditioners, I may see what I can pick up at Walmart and see what I can afford. I also could probably use something specifically for detangling but those things are usually full of cones...so I have to find something else.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 8th, 2009, 07:33 PM
Shea butter forms a protective coating...which is GREAT on your skin!! On your hair...it can work for you or against you. I can't use straight shea butter on my hair as the coating makes it feel dry, and maybe that's what cause your hair to tangle up so.

You should use something slippery to keep your hair tangle free as possible. I detangle in the shower with my conditioner in, then again out of the shower when applying product. I can go for a week with my hair loose and not have tons of tangles by the next time wash day comes around. Gotta train your hair not to get tangled~!

Wow...that long. Are you curly? I gotta learn that trick. Tangles are the a thorn in my side, and they concern me when I think about wanting to grow longer, which I certainly do. With the weight of the length the top part has loosened and gotten easier to detangle. The canopy is awful and the longest layer on the very sides of my head, like before my ears. That part of my hair has always been straighter and I think the layering made them to scraggly and they knot up.

kelly1970
September 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
My roommate has curly hair and he swears by a leave-in hair repair product - heat activated H2 Ion: http://www.h2-ion.com/ I have chemical sensitivity and can't use anything containing Fragrance, but he loves H2 Ion.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 8th, 2009, 09:04 PM
My roommate has curly hair and he swears by a leave-in hair repair product - heat activated H2 Ion: http://www.h2-ion.com/ I have chemical sensitivity and can't use anything containing Fragrance, but he loves H2 Ion.

I'll have to check it out, is is coney?

P.S.Does anyone know of any detangler's that don't have non-CG ingredients..(cones, mineral oil..)

redcelticcurls
September 8th, 2009, 10:44 PM
Wow...that long. Are you curly? I gotta learn that trick. Tangles are the a thorn in my side, and they concern me when I think about wanting to grow longer, which I certainly do. With the weight of the length the top part has loosened and gotten easier to detangle. The canopy is awful and the longest layer on the very sides of my head, like before my ears. That part of my hair has always been straighter and I think the layering made them to scraggly and they knot up.

She's curlier than I am and has amazing hair! (http://www.youtube.com/user/richeau)

I can get 4 days of down hair if I load up on conditioner of day one and use a sleep hat. I cannot understate the importance of a sleep hat for my multi day hair.

The next shower/detangling does take longer, but it's nowhere near what I had a few years ago. I get tangles like most other curlies, but no debilitatingly so.

Curlsgirl was spot on with the KCKT rec, but it it probably out of your price range. NOTHING detangles like it for me, and it is CG/CO friendly.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 9th, 2009, 06:14 AM
She's curlier than I am and has amazing hair! (http://www.youtube.com/user/richeau)

I can get 4 days of down hair if I load up on conditioner of day one and use a sleep hat. I cannot understate the importance of a sleep hat for my multi day hair.

The next shower/detangling does take longer, but it's nowhere near what I had a few years ago. I get tangles like most other curlies, but no debilitatingly so.

Curlsgirl was spot on with the KCKT rec, but it it probably out of your price range. NOTHING detangles like it for me, and it is CG/CO friendly.

Wow! And I was actually reading in another thread something that never dawned on me, cones are better for detangling. Matter of fact, I don't think I was this tangled back when I used cones. I'm hoping it's not time to give up the routine!

Truthfully, I need something to give me moisture and then something to give me slip. I mean my hair has never grown so long or been consistently curly either so that probably has a lot to do with tangles also.

It also looks like that Biolage GVP conditioner is supposed to be pretty good, some people use it as a leave in, I think I'll be making a trip to Sally's.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 9th, 2009, 06:34 AM
Also, those of you that do or have used Aussie Moist, have you been able to avoid build-up of that one pesky cone in there? I mean could you get that out with vinegar or baking soda rinses or would I need sulphates? I figure that one little cone might actually help me.

lora410
September 9th, 2009, 06:44 AM
My dd has curly hair and what I do is spritz with water and condish mixed in bottle every time we comb and then apply light oiling after that a few times a week. This DRASTICALLY reduces her knots and I make sure it is braided damp or wet at bedtime or else she has a rats nest in the morning. I shampoo her scalp once a week just to rid of the oil and condish buildup. Her hair stays really soft with this method.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 9th, 2009, 07:00 AM
These are the Aussie Moist ingredients that I got from Hairlicious.com

Ingredients: Water, Stearyl Alcohol, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glutamic Acid, Fragrance, BIS Aminopropyl Dimethicone, Benzyl Alcohol, EDTA, Ecklonia Radiata Extract (Australian Sea Kelp), Simmondsia Chinensis Seed Oil (Jojoba), Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice Extract, Butylene Glycol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone

Is that cone water-soluable?

PhillyGirl1978@
September 10th, 2009, 05:05 AM
There's been much discussion on whether it's water soluble or not. I've never had buildup even when I used it by itself. It made the difference of night and day for the times I've used it. I'm no poo for the most part and cone free but that's one cone I don't mind.

I've been reading that "Live Curly, Live Free" site...BTW..LOVE IT!! Anyway..I haven't found the listing for the cone in Aussie Moist, but I have been absolutely no cones, not even water-soluble ones. But that website says that the water soluble ones are ok even if you are no-poo. So maybe with my current tangle situation what I need are some approved cones. Not to mention if I can allow some cones, that opens up a much broader range of options regarding affordable but good conditioner.

I will need to carry around the list of approved ones when I go to the store.

Flynn
September 11th, 2009, 01:19 AM
This summer I've been adding more keratin, which is the only protein my coarsish hair can handle. I've been using Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Conditioner, which is a lighter version of the Joico K-Pak Reconstructor. It's more medium than heavy, but it is pricey.

I tried the K-Pak Reconstructor (the heavy crazy one, not the conditioner)... and OH MY GOSH so much mineral oil. It doesn't bother me so much, though, and it feels lovely to touch, but it looks a little "product-y", which I'm not at all used to.

After you were saying that your hair only tolerated keratin, and knowing I've had a problem with oat, wheat, silk, etc protein-containing conditioners, I thought I'd give the keratin treatment a shot to see what would happen. I don't know exactly yet, because my hair still feels like oiled silk from the mineral oil.

redcelticcurls
September 11th, 2009, 01:33 AM
I tried the K-Pak Reconstructor (the heavy crazy one, not the conditioner)... and OH MY GOSH so much mineral oil. It doesn't bother me so much, though, and it feels lovely to touch, but it looks a little "product-y", which I'm not at all used to.

After you were saying that your hair only tolerated keratin, and knowing I've had a problem with oat, wheat, silk, etc protein-containing conditioners, I thought I'd give the keratin treatment a shot to see what would happen. I don't know exactly yet, because my hair still feels like oiled silk from the mineral oil.

The regular condish has no mineral oil.

My hair does hate every other standard protein. Wheat, oat, (and it really hates any grain protein) soy, silk, Brewer's Yeast, on and on. But, for whatever reason, I can not only handle keratin, but it seems to beneficial and helps prevent curl droop, which is important to me as I try to pass BSL. I have always trimmed at BSL before due to curl loss, but I am actually keeping a decent amount of curl (though it will never be as perky as it would be at chin length) this time around.

Flynn
September 11th, 2009, 01:39 AM
*Jumping this convo over to the Wurly and Curly thread to prevent hijack.*

missbexy
September 12th, 2009, 03:15 AM
Your hair sounds very similar to my boyfriends. Right now I can't offer help because I haven't figured out what to do with his yet but if you find anything that makes a big improvement please post. I'll do likewise.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 12th, 2009, 08:51 AM
Your hair sounds very similar to my boyfriends. Right now I can't offer help because I haven't figured out what to do with his yet but if you find anything that makes a big improvement please post. I'll do likewise.

Thanks...today I just went to Walmart, got Aussie Moist and some HE Tousle Me Softly, I also have ,my go-to clarufyer, VO5 Lime clarifying (smells divine) I figure I could add some baking soda to that and scrub and use it all over not just the scalp....then follow with an ACV rinse. I I may clarify and moisturize before I use the conditioner with the cones...maybe I can seal in some moisture. I am scouring the boards now to find any mention of cones...I'm excited!!

P.S. and talk about savings...I spent barely $5 on both of those conditioner...if I like them I can get a much bigger bottle of either for over about $6 and it'll last me a while! YAY!

PhillyGirl1978@
September 12th, 2009, 03:54 PM
Ok...so far so good. I tried the Aussie Moist. Before I showered I was playing with my hair and I noticed it was feeling a little coated, due to the fact that I had been leaving in a bunch more conditioner lately. So I clarified...I used VO5 Lime conditioner and baking soda..I followed with a vinegar rinse. Then I used a little jojoba oil on the lengths and conditoned with my B2B to give it some moisture. After I rinsed I put my regular suave on the top part closer to my scalp and the Aussie Moist on the lengths. Man! I could feel the tangles loosening as soon as I put it on. YAYAYAYAY. I don't plan on going thru that whole routine every time...only when I need to clarify so I get some moisture in there before the cones. Anyway my ends felt so smooth. Usually with Suave the longer I rinse it the rougher it feels...not with Aussie, I combed it with no problem. I even put a little in as leave in. Now I am waiting for it to dry so we'll see how it looks...but it feels great!! I think cones may be the key for me getting to hip length hair, I would never be able to handle the tangles I have at that length with the routine I had before.