PDA

View Full Version : How often should you brush??

julliams
September 6th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Hello Everyone,
I am new here. I am a strawberry blonde with a natural wave in it that can go like S curls if I let it but often I just straighten it if I'm going to work.

During the conditioning stage I comb through my hair but that's basically it. I find my scalp gets itchy after a day or so after washing and I have flakes so that could be the reason.

It occurred to me the other day that in not brushing my hair, I may actually not be doing my scalp any favours.

I just wondered for those with wavy hair that really doesn't like a brush (as it goes frizzy) how often should I be brushing my hair and does it in fact need to be done at all??

Last night I gave my hair a really good brush and I was appalled at the amount of flakes that worked their way out of my hair and onto my lap (sorry - I know that's gross).

Juliette

Fractalsofhair
September 6th, 2009, 06:00 PM
You never "need" to brush your hair, and if you have curly or wavy hair(provided you aren't doing sebum only as your hair care method!), brushing destroys the curl and makes it poofy and can harm hair. Straight hair likes brushing to distribute the oils down it. That doesn't really work with curly hair. To get the same effect for your scalp, massaging it may help.

julliams
September 6th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Thanks,
I took a pic of my hair today (you can see it in my avatar). This is how my hair goes if I brush it. It's not super poofy but the curl is gone. Just waves now.

Juliette

Fractalsofhair
September 6th, 2009, 06:11 PM
It still looks great, but I can see why you may want to not brush it! I wish I had curly hair on a regular basis!