PDA

View Full Version : silicone blocking oil/conditioners

cakebaker
September 6th, 2009, 02:10 PM
It just occurred to me today that if I am slathering my hair with coconut oil before I go to bed is the coconut oil actually able to get to the hair shaft if I have used any silicone containing styling products on it? And if I am deep conditioning my hair in the morning before I wash is the conditioning treatment getting to my hairshaft if again, I have some products with silicone on my hair? In other words, if you aren't completely cone free does your hair have to be freshly washed in order to benefit from oil/conditioners?

spidermom
September 6th, 2009, 02:21 PM
It doesn't seem that silicone products inhibit the uptake of oil in my hair. I'm not sure, though. I go back and forth between using coney products and purposely avoiding them. I like both routines for different reasons.

Lilli
September 6th, 2009, 03:06 PM
Cones do block conditioners for me. When I used cones, I would strip every few days and then do a deep condition. Otherwise the ends of my hair would get really dry and crunchy.

Laylah
September 6th, 2009, 03:09 PM
When I used cones, my hair seemed to benefit from coconut oil just as much as now, if I used it on dry hair. If I used oil when it was still damp my hair would get greasy in some spots and dry in others- it seemed the oil didn't distribute evenly on damp hair when I was using cones.

ktani
September 6th, 2009, 03:20 PM
I think that it very much depends on how much silicone is in the products. Not just silicone can block penetrating oils. Other oils that do not penetrate the hair can too like jojoba oil or a butter like shea butter can as well.

It depends on how much of the other products are on the hair. If you have build-up you are not going to get as much penetration from coconut oil either.

I would not worry too much about it. See what results you get at any given time and then you can clarify or not. You do not have to use anything harsh to do that. A simple shampoo for normal hair can work to clarify hair without being harsh.

cakebaker
September 6th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the responses. I just didn't know whether silicones actually sealed the hair shaft so that nothing else could penetrate it.