PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping dilemma

florenonite
April 17th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I used to mostly sleep with my hair loose, sometimes braided if I could be bothered (I'd go through phases where I'd braid it, then one night I'd be too tired and that would be that) or if it was too hot to sleep with it on my neck. However, now that it's longer, I'm discovering more tangles when I awake. Unfortunately, last time I braided it, I discerned some breakage at the ends, so I don't want to braid it again for bed. A bun atop my head would also be problematic because the hair underneath would be rubbed and I tend to wear my hair up so that would be noticeable. Any suggestions?

TIA

khyricat
April 17th, 2008, 10:22 AM
I let my daybun/braids fall into a cap and wear that to bed.. I need to make a non fleece version as its getting warmer, but it has definitely helped a lot with the breakage issues... just remove toys, tuck hair in and go, if it was down, I do a loose bun inside..

Anje
April 17th, 2008, 10:30 AM
What I do is similar to khyricat much of the time.

Have you considered simply not securing your nighttime braid? You can just leave it as it is, or moisten the ends and clump them together a bit. It may unravel some at night, but who cares?

mommy101405
April 17th, 2008, 10:38 AM
Silk pillowcase. I love mine.

florenonite
April 17th, 2008, 11:22 AM
khyricat: Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. Is it just an ordinary sleeping cap?

Anje: braids fall out within about two seconds if I don't secure them, as I can barely get them in in the first place. I could try moistening the ends and see if that works. Or oil, maybe?

mommy101405: I don't really have the option of a silk pillowcase as I'm living in a uni residence and they provide the linen for us. A silk pillowcase would require (a) spending money, which I don't have (broke student) and (b) hand washing it, and as this probably wouldn't happen on the same day as I bother doing the rest of my washing, being stuck without it as it dries, and consequently I'd probably put off washing it too much. Going with the once-a-fortnight change provided by the residence is probably a safer option.

Cinnamon Hair
April 17th, 2008, 11:35 AM
Have you tried using a sleep cap? That is what I use and it takes a millisecond to put on. Just fold your hair around one hand, stuff it into the cap, and you're done. They aren't the most beautiful thing you could wear to bed, but if you can overcome that they're a nice thing to have.

florenonite
April 17th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Where could I get a sleep cap?

Irishred
April 17th, 2008, 12:10 PM
You may be able to find them at a local store. This http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=satin+sleep+cap&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=1143561881&ref=pd_sl_37115m98gh_e is the type of thing you are looking for. I have seen similar at our local dollar store but in the US.

If you can't find one, other options could be:

- a satin/silk scarf you could tie that around your head.
- An old satin or silk shirt you don't mind cutting up that you could make your own.
- have you tried a satin or terry scruncii for your tail? They are nicer to your hair than a regular elastic.

a UKer may have some better ideas.

kimki
April 17th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I got mine from Sally's for a couple of quid. :)

khyricat
April 17th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I made mine, but its similar to what people buy at sallys...

florenonite
April 17th, 2008, 01:33 PM
This is the bit where I make myself sound incredibly stupid, but what's Sally's? Is it just like a regular drug store? I tend to get my hair stuff from Shopper's Drug Mart in Canada and Boots/Superdrug in the UK. The trouble is, I live in a reasonably small town (the two main professions are the university and golf) and can't really be bothered getting the bus into the city to find somewhere bigger, especially with exams coming up, etc.

Cinnamon Hair
April 17th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/) is a beauty supply chain store in the US (and possibly other places).
I bought mine at a drug store / grocery store. They are usually in the ethnic hair section.

Lixie
April 17th, 2008, 03:12 PM
Could you drop your hair down the back of your bed, or does the headboard get in the way?

As for Sally's, there's one in Glasgow if you ever visit there. No idea if they have sleep caps, but I could take a look for you if you're interested.

misspriss
April 17th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I used a silk pillowcase for a long time, if you handwash it, it dries in like 10 minutes. (that may be an exaggeration, but I NEVER had to wait for it to dry). I don't think it was terribly expensive either. And hey, I know where you are at! Broke student here too!! But I don't live on campus...and I'm so glad! More bills, but I'm not living on campus! woo!

birdiefu
April 17th, 2008, 04:03 PM
The cheapest silk pillowcase I've found is at Dharna Trading (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml), way cheaper than the $30 ones I've seen. And you could dye it with koolaide or foodcoloring, too.

heidi w.
April 17th, 2008, 04:19 PM
The breakage is not likely to be from braiding unless you did the weaving extremely tightly and used a tight band, or inappropriate band, repetitively in the same place.

1. Sleep on a slippery surface such as a polyester pillowcase or sateen or satin pillowcase.

2. If your hair drapes over the bed edge somehow, arrange for an old silk dress or cloth to lie under your pillow and drape down the side of the bed for length to slide against (v. sheets, especially flannel)

3. Braid hair, but loosely. That is loosely from the scalp AND the weave of the braid being loose. Bind the braid at night with a ribbon (you can weave the ribbon in the last few weaves and tie), or change the bind placement each and every night.

4. Consider a braid off to the side, or more on top of the head so it can drape over the pillow somehow and you avoid sleeping on a lump.

5. Some people successfully sleep in an updo but for many hair does fall out and any pins or otherwise used can cause pulling and strain on hair roots, and scalp's capillaries.

6. Sleeping cap is an option!

7. Some people have used 'sleeves' for their hair.

8 Any format of containing the hair I strongly recommend allowing the natural part to be in place, or a side part, so the hair is allowed an opportunity to relax in its natural growth pattern and the scalp and related parts of the scalp can relax too from, especially, a day long updo.

The point of containing the hair a little is not to have no tangles, no little zonage needing attention in the morning, but to overall and generally have no tangles and pretty smooth hair in the morning. Also, the longer the tresses, this is helpful to save time in a morning, especially if you have a busy morning. I find that such braiding I can sometimes hop up and go work out without fussing with my hair. (not that I work out much! LOL)

Hope one of these suggestions helps you.
heidi w.

heidi w.
April 17th, 2008, 04:21 PM
oh, one more option to consider....use scrunchies at intervals down the length.

You can use a scrunchie to bind the braid. It's safer than most bands.

heidi w.

misspriss
April 17th, 2008, 04:48 PM
Oh I just thought of something! When I would let my hair dry curly overnight, I would turn my head upside down and put a small (child size) half-slip over it, and put the whole thing above the pillow, kinda. the slip would stay in place, keep my hair from tangling, keep it from sticking, and keep it up over my head so I would not lay on it. They are cheap and silky, you could probably get one at walmart, and whatever length you need you can get.

florenonite
April 18th, 2008, 04:36 AM
Sally's (http://www.sallybeauty.com/) is a beauty supply chain store in the US (and possibly other places).
I bought mine at a drug store / grocery store. They are usually in the ethnic hair section.

Thanks. I'll probably look for one at Boots, then, or the big Morrison's at the other end of town if I can be bothered walking there.

Could you drop your hair down the back of your bed, or does the headboard get in the way?

As for Sally's, there's one in Glasgow if you ever visit there. No idea if they have sleep caps, but I could take a look for you if you're interested.

I could drop my hair down the back of the bed, but I worry about damage to the nape hairs, which are already quite dry. I never go to Glasgow as it's a bit difficult to get to from where I am (North-Eastern Fife), although I might find one in Edinburgh next time I'm there (slightly easier to get to).

I used a silk pillowcase for a long time, if you handwash it, it dries in like 10 minutes. (that may be an exaggeration, but I NEVER had to wait for it to dry). I don't think it was terribly expensive either. And hey, I know where you are at! Broke student here too!! But I don't live on campus...and I'm so glad! More bills, but I'm not living on campus! woo!

Hmm, if it dries quickly I might look into getting one. I was just worried that it would end up taking a couple days to dry or something, which would be bad. Although, being lazy, I'll probably wait till I live in a flat next year and have to provide my own bedding anyway.

The cheapest silk pillowcase I've found is at Dharna Trading (http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/1384272-AA.shtml), way cheaper than the $30 ones I've seen. And you could dye it with koolaide or foodcoloring, too.

Thanks, I'll look probably wait till I'm back in Canada to get that (cheaper shipping).

The breakage is not likely to be from braiding unless you did the weaving extremely tightly and used a tight band, or inappropriate band, repetitively in the same place.

1. Sleep on a slippery surface such as a polyester pillowcase or sateen or satin pillowcase.

2. If your hair drapes over the bed edge somehow, arrange for an old silk dress or cloth to lie under your pillow and drape down the side of the bed for length to slide against (v. sheets, especially flannel)

3. Braid hair, but loosely. That is loosely from the scalp AND the weave of the braid being loose. Bind the braid at night with a ribbon (you can weave the ribbon in the last few weaves and tie), or change the bind placement each and every night.

4. Consider a braid off to the side, or more on top of the head so it can drape over the pillow somehow and you avoid sleeping on a lump.

5. Some people successfully sleep in an updo but for many hair does fall out and any pins or otherwise used can cause pulling and strain on hair roots, and scalp's capillaries.

6. Sleeping cap is an option!

7. Some people have used 'sleeves' for their hair.

8 Any format of containing the hair I strongly recommend allowing the natural part to be in place, or a side part, so the hair is allowed an opportunity to relax in its natural growth pattern and the scalp and related parts of the scalp can relax too from, especially, a day long updo.

The point of containing the hair a little is not to have no tangles, no little zonage needing attention in the morning, but to overall and generally have no tangles and pretty smooth hair in the morning. Also, the longer the tresses, this is helpful to save time in a morning, especially if you have a busy morning. I find that such braiding I can sometimes hop up and go work out without fussing with my hair. (not that I work out much! LOL)

Hope one of these suggestions helps you.
heidi w.

I could try braiding loosely, though it might fall out (it's only recently that I've been able to get any kind of braid to stay in overnight). And I should invest in some scrunchies or terry-cloth elastics to bind the bottom of the braid. I actually don't find a lump to be a problem, as I tend to sleep on my side and the braid goes down the back. A sleeve could be a good idea, though I'd be afraid of it falling down and choking me (I'm not even a restless sleeper, but my mum got angry at me once for wearing an Alice band to bed, so that kind of fear has rubbed off a bit).

oh, one more option to consider....use scrunchies at intervals down the length.

You can use a scrunchie to bind the braid. It's safer than most bands.

heidi w.

I think I'll try and find terry-cloth bands to bind a braid, as my braid is pretty meagre and a scrunchie would most likely slip out.

Oh I just thought of something! When I would let my hair dry curly overnight, I would turn my head upside down and put a small (child size) half-slip over it, and put the whole thing above the pillow, kinda. the slip would stay in place, keep my hair from tangling, keep it from sticking, and keep it up over my head so I would not lay on it. They are cheap and silky, you could probably get one at walmart, and whatever length you need you can get.

I'll think about this, though I'm a bit worried about it choking me (I have irrational fears, imparted on me partly because my mum, like all mothers, worries incessantly).

misspriss
April 18th, 2008, 08:19 AM
HeHe...it's more likely to slide off your head than choke you, I wore it over my ears just around the hairline...but it was mostly to make my curls not smoosh.