PDA

View Full Version : I'm shocked...

Loreley
September 6th, 2009, 12:47 AM
Hello everybody!

First of all, sorry about my English. And I'm new here, this is my first post. :o

I visit a Hungarian forum regulary. It's about everything you can imagine but I always read hair care part. So, this morning I was reading my e-mails when I came across one from somebody I don't know. I read it. It was a private message from someone from that forum. The forwarder asked me whether I still have long hair because she'd buy it and make my new hairstyle. :disgust:
I'm totally shocked. :shocked: Of course I don't wanna cut it, and if I wanted to, I'd cut it myself and keep the hair. I've been growing my hair since I was four. Sometimes I considered to cut it but I always had a dream that I'm cutting my hair and crying. That helped me to decide never to cut it. ;)

Has this happened to anybody here? Has somebody ever wanted to buy your hair?

Aditi
September 6th, 2009, 12:59 AM
I don't think someone has enough guts to ask me about buying my hair yet :mad: That was so inappropriate of her to ask you to buy your hair without knowing your feelings about the same. To end it as a happy note if i were you i would think that she must be really crazy about my hair that she was ready to buy it :)

little_acorn
September 6th, 2009, 01:15 AM
Its a shocking thing to ask someone - but very complementary though :D

Debra83
September 6th, 2009, 01:23 AM
Maybe she was kidding?

CrystalStar
September 6th, 2009, 02:21 AM
Well, seeing as there is a whole website dedicated to selling hair, I doubt it's that odd really :) Maybe she just didn't think things through, and didn't realise it could come across as a little strange :)

LittleOrca
September 6th, 2009, 02:27 AM
Some people don't see hair like we do. It's just an accessory to be abused and tossed away. That and it's like a little cat that old ladies love to come up and pet for some reason... or is that just my experiences. :rolleyes:

Aer
September 6th, 2009, 03:16 AM
A friend of mine has a mother who told me that once a local wig store owner asked if she could buy her hair, and offered to pay alot. Her hair wasn't very long, but it was a pretty blond color. She didn't sell it to her, but she said she was flattered.

brownthistle
September 6th, 2009, 03:18 AM
i had people discussin to use my hair for a wig a few years ago. it's flattering and scary at the same time.

Loreley
September 6th, 2009, 03:23 AM
She didn't even see my hair... That's why it is so strange. :rolleyes:

Toadstool
September 6th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Sounds like she's just on that forum to get access to people's hair to sell. I think I would be a little freaked if I had long beautiful hair and someone wanted to buy it. Hopefully you can alert the rest of your forum to this.

missfortune9335
September 6th, 2009, 06:52 AM
wow, I would be shocked by that too! (although I guess it's a compliment in a way...)
there's absolutly nothing wrong with your English by the way, it's perfect ;)

Addy
September 6th, 2009, 07:00 AM
I'd make sure she doesn't start stalking you online for it! EEP! Ask once and then move on but I agree, it is definately creepy!

Maybe someday you can show us your beautiful hair! We would cherish it and hope you never cut it off! :D

SimplyLonghair
September 6th, 2009, 07:21 AM
I agree that it sounds weird, I think it was someone trolling the site to find people willing to sell their hair, and maybe ones willing to sell it and be filmed cutting. There are many folks that pay to see such things. And yes they are creepy. I am sorry that this happened but I would report it to the forum mods. :grouphug:

Little_Bird
September 6th, 2009, 08:14 AM
I used to recieve messages from wigmakers that wanted to buy my hair when I eventually would cut it. It's strange yeah, but I also take it as a compliment.

Other than that, I have a lot of women telling me I should cut my hair for them to make extensions... I also take it as a compliment but I reply politely "just let yours grow!".

If only they knew the pleasure it is to have it your own and take care of it :D

spidermom
September 6th, 2009, 09:08 AM
This has never happened to me. I have a friend who asked me if I would trade hair with her. Knowing I was safe from that ever happening, I said "o.k."

Roseate
September 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM
When I cut my hair from elbows to chin a couple years ago, a friend offered to give me the contact info of the person she had sold her long hair to when she cut it off.

I declined, but it was interesting to know there are people who will buy the hair off people's heads like that! It had never occurred to me.

misstwist
September 6th, 2009, 11:09 AM
If this is a long hair forum I would forward that message to the moderators and ask for something to be done about that member.

Even if it's not a long hair forum there might be something in the terms of use about solicitation or creepy behavior.

You know what, given that the message made you uncomfortable, I would just go ahead and forward it to a moderator saying that it is creepy and it made you uncomfortable.

Fractalsofhair
September 6th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Yikes. Well, a lot of people do grow their hair out to sell it. Or to "donate" it(LOL sells a lot of the hair!). I must say I've never been asked that, though I do know some people have weird ahem... "Interests" in wanting long hair cut off for "movies", and wig makers do need to get their hair from somewhere. However, I thought they mostly went to 3rd world Asian countries(apparently white people's hair isn't up to the damage required with the dying and such, but Asian hair is? ...o.O? I thought it was only slight stronger, but ok.) and ask poor women to sell their hair. Of course, that could just be a myth to make the wig companies seem like they're helping the poor women.

pepperminttea
September 6th, 2009, 04:36 PM
Eep, that is a bit scary. :run:

I've been asked if I'm growing to donate before, but never specifically to sell. Not sure I could part with it if I ever did go for the dreaded chop.
There was a documentary a little while ago, I think Jamelia presented it (?), about where the hair for real hair extensions comes from. It was really quite alarming - Indian women having past waist length hair shaved off with an old fashioned razor right to their scalp, for money to support their family. :(

goodenough
September 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
This happened to a friend of mine, from a guy who made doll wigs. We still laugh at how creepy it seemed. She was just a teenager, so I think it was inapropriate. Otherwise, just funny and weird:)

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
I had someone message me on Facebook once, saying he was a barber and that if I ever fancied a haircut, to let him know and he'd buy my hair to make wigs in his store. It was extremely creepy and I didn't answer. :eek: