PDA

View Full Version : Twisted strand dust trimming?

Gothic Lolita
September 6th, 2009, 12:40 AM
All over my hair I have either broken off hairs or new growth sticking out, which doesn't look well groomed in my opinion.Trimming the ends won't help either since all these halo hairs are somewhere up the length. Now I wonder wether a twisted strand dust trim would help. Maybe they wouldn't stick out anymore as badly, but then again, it would take even longer for them to vanish somewhere in my length.

Any experiences with it? Is it worth the time it takes? Or other suggestions? I really don't like the look of it, it makes me think that I don't take care of my hair and I never have it open around other people because I don't want the "long hair looks unkempt" comments.

rogue_psyche
September 6th, 2009, 01:05 AM
I use this method in conjunction with other methods. I find that in order to reveal more of the splits on a strand, you have to twist it both directions. Another method is to place a strand of hair between two fingers, and bend it in an upside down U. The short hairs will stick out as you run your fingers gently toward the ends.

S&D are slow going, especially if you want to be really thorough. I do think that S&D is worth the time if you make sure to do it in good light.

Olivia23
September 6th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I have kind of become obsessed with S&Ding because I'm always find split ends. I have layered hair and I find using the method above (twisting & bending) will show more of the split ends especially if you have layered hair.

Gulbahar
September 6th, 2009, 03:33 AM
You will always have hairs sticking out all over your length. Everybody does - it's just the way it is. Dust them if they have split ends or white dots, but if they are just healthy new growth leave them alone.

Nera
September 6th, 2009, 04:01 AM
To prevent cutting hairs that are not split: comb your hair before you twist really well! That way less normal hairs will stick out. Also, I know a woman with great thick long hair, who also sort of backcombs those strands with her fingers, she says that way the damaged locks will stick out the strand...

I think you should just do it, but be careful not to snip off any healthy hairs. So do it in the light of your window I'd say:)

Medievalmaniac
September 6th, 2009, 04:42 AM
twist and dust S&D do appear to work best for my layers as well. I have a lot more control that way and can see better what needs to go and what I am just imagining needs to go, so I end up taking off much less than otherwise would be the case. :)

spidermom
September 6th, 2009, 09:17 AM
You will always have hairs sticking out all over your length. Everybody does - it's just the way it is. Dust them if they have split ends or white dots, but if they are just healthy new growth leave them alone.

This is exactly what I would say.

Gothic Lolita
September 6th, 2009, 10:01 AM
They mostly do not even have split ends, they just look a little coarser in texture then the "normal" length. Are they maybe just a little dry? I've problems with tangles and dryness around my nape lately, no matter how much I condition.... even clarifying hasn't helpd yet.