PDA

View Full Version : Sad week in Hair-land....

marikamt
September 5th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Last week, one of my co-workers cut her beautiful, waist length auburn hair into a bob.....she was one who convinced me to grow out my hair (due to hair envy on my part)
I went in to work yesterday and one of the nurses I work with who had gorgeous, waist length hair cut it to chin length.... it was thick, 2a/ 2b ... beautiful.... she is going thru a divorce and I think did it for a change....
Today, I go into work and another co-worker who is about 6 ft. tall and had awesome classic length hair cut it into a pixie.... I was so shocked I think my mouth hung open.....
what the heck is going on???? so sad.... I loved and coveted their hair :confused:

redcelticcurls
September 5th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Well, as long as they are happy with it, I'd be happy for them. Sometimes people just want to change things up.

marikamt
September 5th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Well, as long as they are happy with it, I'd be happy for them. Sometimes people just want to change things up.

Yeah, I know... their hair is non of my bees-wax.... and they do look cute... but oh, how I loved their hair!!!!!

RancheroTheBee
September 6th, 2009, 12:56 AM
Aww. Well, at least one of them inspired you. :)

brownthistle
September 6th, 2009, 03:20 AM
i also always find it sad, such things. long hair is so beautiful.

LittleOrca
September 6th, 2009, 04:07 AM
As long as they are happy and were not pressured into something they didn't want to do, more power to them. I agree it can be a little heart breaking to see all that hair cut off, but just think now they have you to envy as your hair gets longer and prettier. :D

eadwine
September 6th, 2009, 04:09 AM
I guess they were ready for a change, just like you were ready for one by growing your hair long.

At least it's no disaster :)

Medievalmaniac
September 6th, 2009, 04:40 AM
I like Little Orca's response, that now they can be jealous of you! ;P

But it is sad. Still, if it is their choice and they are happy, then all you can do is tell them they look cute and move on.

Beatnik Guy
September 6th, 2009, 06:20 AM
what the heck is going on????
For entirely selfish reasons, I'd be sorry too. :(
Hope there'll be new long hair to compensate. :cool:

Addy
September 6th, 2009, 06:44 AM
It's like a domino effect, one right after the other. :agape:

I won't lie, I too would be upset to see it all go and wonder what the heck was going on for a bit and then, I guess I'd have to pick my jaw up and move on and hope they don't regret it in a few weeks/months time.

Now you can really enjoy being the long hair at work. :)

embee
September 6th, 2009, 07:43 AM
I hope they weren't pressured by others to chop. We all know how others can say mean things about long hair looking old and stuff. Hope they're happy with what they've done, not all sad like I'd be.

The one getting a divorce - often when we break up with boyfriends we do a chop, maybe that's the same thing? I started to *grow* when I got my divorce!

I'd be discouraged too, if three long hairs I worked with all chopped. Actually, two people I sing with chopped and it made me sad. Both gave to LoL. Ugh. I said nothing, they were so happy to have "done something good".

Sigh.

Little_Bird
September 6th, 2009, 08:04 AM
That's sad yes... I've been there too.

First, all my classmates on 10th grade who had long hair cutted it much shorter (like from waist to shoulders, or to even pixie). Then my cousin cuts from classic to tailbone and then to waist. And now my sister cutted her own past classic from waist.

It might seem shocking to us but either way what matters is that they're happy. At least for them it's easier to feel happier, as cutting takes like 15 minutes. For us to feel happy it takes years of care and growth.

Maybe that's what makes the diference, I don't know. There are people who grow their hair almost accidently, without any specific goal, so then they will actually feel very comfortable cutting it, as they didn't exactly wait for it to grow. It simply did.

On the other hand, we're here, sitting in front of our mirror, praying for our hair to GROW GROW GROW.

:p Anyone is diferent anyways. But I truely understand you there... :flower:

marikamt
September 6th, 2009, 08:39 AM
For entirely selfish reasons, I'd be sorry too. :(
Hope there'll be new long hair to compensate. :cool:

It is for selfish reasons...... :p

Speckla
September 6th, 2009, 09:02 AM
It'd make me sad too. There are several ladies were I work who are naturally curly and it makes me sad to see them with flatiorned hair. I know part of it is projecting my feelings about my own hair and my dislike for flatirons - but it still bothers me none-the-less. I just come on here or nc.com and bemoan the fact. It makes me feel better and I haven't said anything to offend anyone I work with.

Carolyn
September 6th, 2009, 06:24 PM
I know what you mean about being sad. Not for them because I assume they did it because they wanted to, but for me. I don't get to see the beautiful long hair anymore and that makes me sad. However I don't comment on big cuts anymore. I refuse to go ga-ga over the new cut and gush all over. I just say nothing and ignore it.

Fractalsofhair
September 6th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Well, people do get ready for changes. If one cuts one's hair after thinking about it for a while and they like the new cut(and didn't do it due to peer pressure) I see nothing wrong with it. But I'd be sad as well, esp if they had pretty hair!!!

ericthegreat
September 6th, 2009, 07:29 PM
As a young hairstylist, I see this kind of story happen on an everyday basis almost. Lets see what I can pull out of my bag of memories:

There was an 18 yr old who came in with waist length hair. She was getting ready to go to college, and she wanted it all cut off because she felt like she needed to look more "grown up". She had all of her length cut off to shoulder length, and if that wasn't enough she had to get it razored out and layered. And she cut in straight bangs that fall above her eyebrows. She pretty much got the "1920s flapper" haircut. She claimed that she needed this big change, so hopefully she is happy with her new haircut. :)

Just last week, a mother brought her two girls in. All three of them were getting dramatic haircuts. The mother had BSL hair in a ponytail, and her two girls had waist length hair. The mother wanted her daughters to look fresh before heading back to school. One of the girls (she was around maybe 9) went from waist length hair to getting it cut above her chin. :( She also had straight bangs cut in. The worst part isn't even the haircut. Its the fact that her hair is naturally quite wavy. When that little girl goes home and has to take care of it herself, her hair will shrink up to her ears I'm quite sure. The older daughter (she looked around 11 or 12)was allowed to keep her hair a little bit longer. Her hair was cut to maybe 4 inches below her shoulder. It was then layered and thinned out, and she too had straight bangs cut in. For the record, the mother herself didn't want her hair as long anymore. She too had her BSL hair cut to shoulder length, and she clearly loves the look of bangs so she had them cut in as well. It was sad to see so much long hair being cut, but on a positive note all three of them ended up getting the same kind of haircut. The little daughter with the shortest version, the mom right in the middle, and the older daughter with the longest version. They looked very cute I have to say.:poot:

yogachic
September 6th, 2009, 07:31 PM
I think summer brings on the yearning to cut. I know it does for me, and I did it too, regretfully.

JamieLeigh
September 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Sometimes long hair is just more than some people can handle. Or, like the one who is divorcing, they just want a change they can feel positive about in the middle of so much negativity. Or maybe the negative stress was causing increased shedding and she felt she needed to cut? There might have been many factors leading up to this that you simply aren't aware of.

It is sad to see a hair "idol", of sorts, cut short, but in the long run, it is THEIR hair and THEIR choice. Same as your hair is your choice. If they're happy that you're growing long, be happy for their hair choices as well. It's only fair. :flower:

ericthegreat
September 8th, 2009, 09:22 AM
I agree Jamie. And also, from sharing stories with many of my fellow beauty school friends and my clients, I've learned that especially after a painful breakup sometimes a woman/or a man as well hey let's not discriminate, he or she feels the intense need to completely change how they look. I have found myself as well dressing up in a certain way when I'm dating someone I like. Now I would never change my style regardless of whether or not we break up, but that's only me. Perhaps someone else might feel that they need to change EVERYTHING about themselves in order to get rid of all the memories they have of their exes. Again there is no right and wrong about this, as long as they feel that after this new change they can move on and be happy with their lives I am happy to support them.

marikamt
September 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
As I said in the first post... they DO look cute, all of them seem happy and I told them how cute they looked (although I did say I loved it long too)
It was just a shock to see all 3 do it in such a short time frame.... and I thought this was the appropriate place to bemoan the loss of all that beautiful hair.... from a purely selfish perspective.
It was in no way a judgement on their decision or choice.....

spidermom
September 8th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Now you can be the long hair; that's a good thing. I love having the longest hair in the room, even if it's bunned and nobody knows but me.

feralnature
September 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM
In the past, I have made very radical hair choices when a relationship was ending or my circumstances were changing. It was like a metamorphosis or something. Exiting the old life and entering the new wiser and changed for the better. The way we present to the world is very wrapped up in self-esteem and the ego and hair is very much a part of that. In many cases, when you note a person going through a major change in their looks, you know something is up, good or bad.

cakebaker
September 8th, 2009, 09:36 AM
I was at a party last week with my husband and we ran into one of his co-workers who, the last time I saw her, had hair past her waist. I hardly recognized her because she had cut her hair into a pixie type cut. I thought she looked beautiful! I guess she in her mid-forties or so, and she has very delicate features that were really brought out by the short hair cut. If she had ever ask me if she should cut her hair my answer would have been an emphatic NO...but after seeing her I don't think it was a mistake at all. Now that I think about it, it seemed like before her hair overwhelmed (because it was thick and curly) her face and I never noticed how pretty she was and now it's like wow, you have great features. But she could have gotten some of the same effect I guess, by bunning her hair and not cutting it; but to each his own.