PDA

View Full Version : Stress and the greasies

joyellen
September 5th, 2009, 02:35 PM
Forgive me if this topic has already been brought up before.

I usually have to wash every other day. However, I washed my hair in the late afternoon yesterday, had an extremely stressful night, and woke up with hair that looks like it needed to be washed again. I was just wondering if stress can affect how much oil the scalp produces? Sounds odd, but I've noticed that the only time I need to wash daily (with the exception of heavy exercise) is when I've been under a great deal of stress the day before. Any thoughts?

Rohele
September 5th, 2009, 03:49 PM
Do you run your hands through your hair or play with it when you're stressed? (I do). I notice when I touch my hair more it seems to get/look greasy faster.

Speckla
September 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
Could you have sweated more during the night? I know that I do toss and turn when I'm stressed and I sweat more. I think more oil would also be produced with more sweat.

joyellen
September 5th, 2009, 08:19 PM
Now that I think about it, I do twirl my hair more when I'm upset or stressed. I don't know if I sweat more at night if I'm stressed, but that could also be a possibility. Thanks!

UncommonTart
September 5th, 2009, 08:42 PM
I'm not an expert, but I'll bet that extra stress could cause greasies. After all, stress is commonly accepted as an exacerbating factor for acne, right? Sebum is sebum, isn't it?

Speckla
September 5th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Stress can release toxic chemicals into our bodies so perhaps sweating more is the bodies way of pushing them out?

Ash
September 5th, 2009, 09:07 PM
Stress can release toxic chemicals into our bodies so perhaps sweating more is the bodies way of pushing them out?

That would make sense. If I eat fast food or food with a lot of chemicals in it, I start sweating afterwards. Normally I eat low/non fat natural foods. I have always felt that my body is trying to sweat out the chemicals.

As for hair, mine also can be greasier if I am stressed. It also becomes very limp and sheds more. :(