PDA

View Full Version : Neat updos and stuff...I want!!

PhillyGirl1978@
September 5th, 2009, 11:26 AM
Ok so I have past BSL, layered (I'm growing them out) curly hair. What length in general would someone have to be to do things like the figure 8 bun? They look great and I feel that if I had some more interesting updo's I may be inclined to wear it up in protective styles more. I have been looking at others pictures of the figure 8 and it is just so pretty. So far all I can do is a basic bun with a scrunchi or hair stick and the peacock twist. I know layers make it harder plus I got curls upon curls, not to mention my hair is thick as heck.

Any others with this issue? I am growing in my layers and aiming to grow to waist or hip so what length will I need to be?

P.S. I guess there also has to be a few threads devoted to pic of these gorgeous updo's right?

NurseMama
September 5th, 2009, 11:29 AM
A lot of different styles can be done at BSL. I am the same length as yours and I keep mine up 80% of the time. I am able to do a figure 8/infinity, a cinnabun, chinese bun, a few different wrap buns, and a french twist. Not to mention braids and braided buns!

Roseate
September 5th, 2009, 12:22 PM
The figure 8 takes a lot of length with thick hair. It was one I really wanted to be able to do when I got here, but reading threads and looking at albums has convinced me that I'm going to have to stop thinking about it for several years. :meditate:

Have you tried the Chinese bun or the Lazy Wrap? I can't quite do those yet, but you may be able to. They're next on my list; I feel like I'm getting close to long enough.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 5th, 2009, 01:07 PM
The figure 8 takes a lot of length with thick hair. It was one I really wanted to be able to do when I got here, but reading threads and looking at albums has convinced me that I'm going to have to stop thinking about it for several years. :meditate:

Have you tried the Chinese bun or the Lazy Wrap? I can't quite do those yet, but you may be able to. They're next on my list; I feel like I'm getting close to long enough.

Ok, that's kinda what I was figuring, what is the lazy wrap?

Roseate
September 5th, 2009, 01:39 PM
Ok, that's kinda what I was figuring, what is the lazy wrap?

Link to the lazy wrap (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=72). I bet you have enough length for this now!

PhillyGirl1978@
September 5th, 2009, 01:40 PM
Ok, I found the video on how to do the lazy wrap bun, I think that make work. I tried it a few times and I think I got it. I think I may try that one more, it is certainly more interesting than my usual boring bun. can you use anything to hold it or just a hair stick?

misstwist
September 5th, 2009, 01:52 PM
I found that an infinity would hold for me before a figure-eight would. Which is just as well because I like the horizontal orientation better.

Also, a fork held it better than a stick for me when it wasn't quite long enough. I stuck the top of the for in the side where the coil was thinner. Hair was behind the wide part of the fork and stayed there. Don't be afraid to add some hairpins if you need them. To anything.

Don't be too quick to think you need to get rid of those layers. They really do help curly hair, especially thick, curly hair.

If your main goal is to wear your hair up you might be happier at all one length. If, however, you think you want to wear your hair down half the time or more, you might want to keep the layers and find updos that work with them.

Roseate
September 5th, 2009, 03:51 PM
can you use anything to hold it or just a hair stick?

Forks would probably work too; it seems like it would be tough to hold with just pins.

Don't be too quick to think you need to get rid of those layers. They really do help curly hair, especially thick, curly hair.

If your main goal is to wear your hair up you might be happier at all one length. If, however, you think you want to wear your hair down half the time or more, you might want to keep the layers and find updos that work with them.

I second this. I like my layers; they're just in the last couple inches of my hair but they really give it a nice shape. They actually seem to help me with updos because they create a fake taper and make the ends easier to tuck in, otherwise they are very bulky when blunt cut. I grew them out when I passed BSL last time, but I'm planning on keeping them this time around. They just drive some people nuts, but I'm a fan.

girloctopus
September 5th, 2009, 04:49 PM
Ok so I have past BSL, layered (I'm growing them out) curly hair. What length in general would someone have to be to do things like the figure 8 bun? They look great and I feel that if I had some more interesting updo's I may be inclined to wear it up in protective styles more. I have been looking at others pictures of the figure 8 and it is just so pretty. So far all I can do is a basic bun with a scrunchi or hair stick and the peacock twist. I know layers make it harder plus I got curls upon curls, not to mention my hair is thick as heck.

Any others with this issue? I am growing in my layers and aiming to grow to waist or hip so what length will I need to be?

P.S. I guess there also has to be a few threads devoted to pic of these gorgeous updo's right?

I love the figure 8 too, and I just got it to hold comfortably with my iii thick hair at hips/inch or two away from tailbone. Thick hair is a pain for many updos :( I also can't get a log roll or Celtic knot to hold.

At BSLish, I usually wore looped ponytails, cinnabuns, French braids, and French twists. Definitely enjoy being able to wear french twists. I miss them :(

PhillyGirl1978@
September 5th, 2009, 05:26 PM
I found that an infinity would hold for me before a figure-eight would. Which is just as well because I like the horizontal orientation better.

Also, a fork held it better than a stick for me when it wasn't quite long enough. I stuck the top of the for in the side where the coil was thinner. Hair was behind the wide part of the fork and stayed there. Don't be afraid to add some hairpins if you need them. To anything.

I've been told about the layers before, my issue is I don't ever remember having it one length and the longest part, the underneath part that is all one length seems so smooth while the top parts with all the little layers seem rougher, like little different length ends sticking out all over so I can't really get it smooth. It also seems like the ends of each hair that get dry are at all different lengths which make it harder to micr-trim them away and make it look like more damage/dryness than I think it is.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 5th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Forks would probably work too; it seems like it would be tough to hold with just pins.

I second this. I like my layers; they're just in the last couple inches of my hair but they really give it a nice shape. They actually seem to help me with updos because they create a fake taper and make the ends easier to tuck in, otherwise they are very bulky when blunt cut. I grew them out when I passed BSL last time, but I'm planning on keeping them this time around. They just drive some people nuts, but I'm a fan.

When you had them did all of your hair seem smooth, I mean did you feel the ends of the different lengths stick out? I do.

Roseate
September 5th, 2009, 06:43 PM
When you had them did all of your hair seem smooth, I mean did you feel the ends of the different lengths stick out? I do.

It depends on how they're cut. I've had shaggier layered cuts in the past where there were just ends everywhere, total bushy disaster! But the ones I have now, each layer is cut pretty straight, so they aren't crazy. Plus they are all long layers, not more than a few inches difference between the shortest and the longest.

You will see more ends with layers though, no matter what; the ends are more spread out instead of all in one line.

If you've never had it all one length it's worth a try, that's why I grew mine out last time, but I got them back because once I got it all one length, I found I liked layers better.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 5th, 2009, 07:33 PM
It depends on how they're cut. I've had shaggier layered cuts in the past where there were just ends everywhere, total bushy disaster! But the ones I have now, each layer is cut pretty straight, so they aren't crazy. Plus they are all long layers, not more than a few inches difference between the shortest and the longest.

You will see more ends with layers though, no matter what; the ends are more spread out instead of all in one line.

If you've never had it all one length it's worth a try, that's why I grew mine out last time, but I got them back because once I got it all one length, I found I liked layers better.

Yeah...I mean I should have it once!lol I mean before I found CG/no-poo routine, I never liked my curly hair, before I learned to take care of it I never had it so long, so all in all it seems like trying things I've never done before have been beneficial to my hair.

Come to think of it, the top part, before any layers start don't seem to tangle as much either, the curls are kinds waves up until my first layer. I wouldn't mind having looser curls or waves. I wonder if the tangling thing is because more dry ends throughout my hair make more things to snag on? I'm gonna try it! I think I'll even trim my longest layer tomorrow, just a little.

PhillyGirl1978@
September 5th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Also I have been reading other threads on layers and I have heard that they don't always help much after hair is waist length, which is where I am headed.

misstwist
September 5th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Also I have been reading other threads on layers and I have heard that they don't always help much after hair is waist length, which is where I am headed.

It absolutely depends on what your goals are. Experiments are tons of fun and entirely worth doing.

You and I haven't had much interaction and I just wanted to make sure you were hearing something other than the prevalent anti-layer bias on this board.

Somebody mentioned a french twist. This is the absolute best french twist tutorial I have ever seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXfR1WiJv6s&feature=channel

PhillyGirl1978@
September 6th, 2009, 06:48 AM
It absolutely depends on what your goals are. Experiments are tons of fun and entirely worth doing.

You and I haven't had much interaction and I just wanted to make sure you were hearing something other than the prevalent anti-layer bias on this board.

Somebody mentioned a french twist. This is the absolute best french twist tutorial I have ever seen. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXfR1WiJv6s&feature=channel

Thanks! Yeah experiments are great, one of the best things about having all this hair, at least with the layer thing if get it all one length and want layers I can get them back without losing length, then I'll know whether they are best or not.

I will have to try the french twist too...I don't think I've ever attempted one myself.