PDA

View Full Version : Ends with a mind of their own...

PHOENIX MOON
September 5th, 2009, 05:10 AM
Hey all,
I have a query about the ends of my hair. It is ok, and soft when literally just brushed, then becomes like a sponge. Its quite strange because the ends take on the shape of the plait I usually wear my hair in. I have experimented around with my hair being wet or dry before plaiting, plaiting more loosely/tightly on the ends of my hair, stopping the plait early and binding or bandaging it straight. Nothing seems to change the shape of it.

If I brush it after its been in the plait to change the shape I can almost hear it breaking as the brush is being pulled through. The odd part is that the rest of my hair doesnt appear to change into that shape, and that part of the plait is usually tighter.

Any suggestions/other thread links/questions most welcome.

aada
September 5th, 2009, 08:42 AM
I am not *quite* sure what you mean, but I can say that if your hair feels like it is breaking, you shouldn't use that method of brushing anymore!

Try a different brush, try using a comb, try damp-spraying the ends; something.

And I would venture to say that a LOT of people's hair takes the shape of their plaits: a bunch of us like braid-waves! ;)

That part of your hair may be more susceptible to forming braid-waves because it is drier than the other parts, or even just because it is thinner or what have you. Perhaps try a moisture treatment or some oil? Experiment, but do so *nicely* to your hair!

halo_tightens
September 5th, 2009, 09:31 AM
I can't say what's going on with your ends... but I can tell you about mine. My ends used to hate me, lol. They really felt rough, spongy, and icky compared to the rest of my hair. Now they're nice and smooth! What fixed my ends was clarifying out the buildup, frequent SMTs, and keeping a little oil on them.

Good luck with your own unruly ends!

PHOENIX MOON
September 5th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Hey all,
I am experimenting with various oils, currently using raw virgin coconut oil. My root and length hair loves it!!! However, my ends like it a bit, but not enough to make the ends like silk.

What I am trying to explain is that my ends form certain shapes and then get even frizzier when I am trying to brush my hair.
The kindest brush so far on my hair is a paddle brush. My method is the staged method, that is I brush the ends and down, then start a bit further up and down etc... until all my length and end hair is untangled then I brush from my roots and down.

The main (or should that be mane) problem is that once I have detangled the ends, they seem to tangle back up again once I have brushed through.

Its just a bit irritating, as I cant seem to find an oil/ingredient to minimise this. I have put lots of oil/treatments on the ends, but when I brush through it works its way up to the roots and makes my roots look greasy and the ends dry again. Any help much appreciated! I dont want the 2 or 3 inches of my hair to go to the chop!

heatherdazy
September 5th, 2009, 12:24 PM
Yep, brushing dry curly or wavy hair creates frizz. This isn't unique to your hair.