PDA

View Full Version : To trim or not to trim......

whiteisle
September 4th, 2009, 08:56 PM
.....I don't think I've got any damage and minimal, if any, splits but I haven't had a trim since March and my hair is starting to look kinda ratty. I hate the idea of loosing any length right now but I also hate ratty looking hair. :p And I don't really like wearing it up much (to hide said rattiness). The most I do is pull it back in a low and loose pony for short periods of time. So, would you trim or would you wait for a bit more length?

purplebubba
September 4th, 2009, 09:01 PM
If you have someone you trust to do it I don't see the harm in a tidy up.

Cereus
September 4th, 2009, 09:01 PM
If that's your current hair in your signature pic, well I'd wait for more length. I don't think it looks ratty at all!

flyfaraway
September 4th, 2009, 09:20 PM
Your hair in your sig pic looks perfectly healthy- not ratty in the least. Personally, I wouldn't trim it.

Roseate
September 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
I second the "go for a small trim IF you have a stylist you trust" advice.

I trim 1/2"-1" twice a year, which is just right for me, and right after I do it I love my hair all over again and am all recharged about growing it longer.

Even though your hair looks totally fine, and it wouldn't be at all unhealthy to stretch trimming longer if you want, it sounds like it's bugging you and you are ready for a dusting. Go for it.

LutraLutra
September 5th, 2009, 02:51 AM
I'd say go and find a stylist you trust and have a minimal trim. I make a joke of it with my hairdresser - "can you take off the most tiny little litttle tiny bit of hair you can cut off please?" And then I show him how much that really means, then I get him to show me how much he's going to take off, and that way he's never taken off more than I asked for. It's usally about 5mm. A tiny trim will only make your ends feel thicker and more happy, you won't loose any perceptible lenght. :)

kdaniels8811
September 5th, 2009, 03:59 AM
or try Feye's self trim, that way you control how much is being cut off. Ratty ends can benefit from clarifying, oiling, and/or shea butter, also. Good luck and let us know what you decide. By the way, I have not had my hair cut in well over an year and I now have fairytale ends! I love it!

whiteisle
September 5th, 2009, 06:03 AM
Thank you for the compliments. My siggy is a little old ~ my latest pics are in my album. I just feel like I'm starting to look like a wooly-booger, LOL. I do think a trim might re-motivate my growing. It's now or later, right? ;-)

Thanks for helping me think this out!

Chibbylick
September 5th, 2009, 07:38 AM
I feel the secret to a trim is a hairdresser you trust, who follows instructions exactly. Wish they weren't so hard to find!
Chibby

rhubarbarin
September 5th, 2009, 08:17 AM
I looked at the latest pics in your album.

'Ratty'? No way! You have a really thick, neat hem. You do have a body wave which means it's not lying even right now.. but I don't think you need a trim at all. By the looks of it you could wait a looooong time.

If you want a trim though, what's the harm? Do a small one. But really, the faster you grow right now the better.. shoulder length/'flip length' is so awkward, things are so much faster and easier once it starts growing down your back.

I love all the pics with your baby in a sling, btw. He must be so happy in there!

Addy
September 5th, 2009, 08:46 AM

'Ratty'? No way! You have a really thick, neat hem. You do have a body wave which means it's not lying even right now.. but I don't think you need a trim at all. By the looks of it you could wait a looooong time.

If you want a trim though, what's the harm? Do a small one. But really, the faster you grow right now the better.. shoulder length/'flip length' is so awkward, things are so much faster and easier once it starts growing down your back.

I love all the pics with your baby in a sling, btw. He must be so happy in there!

I agree. Shoulder length is the hardest cuz it does want to flip out but a tiny trim doesn't hurt if that's what you want but I'd go a little longer if you can. I was gonna trim in May but decided against it and I don't seem to have any splits or damage.

In all, I'd say wait til APL.

I love your baby pics too. So sweet and those chunky legs... I love me some chunky baby legs! :D

Rentlle
September 5th, 2009, 09:10 AM
I doens't look ratty at all :)
I would wait :)

spidermom
September 5th, 2009, 09:48 AM
I think a very small trim would be of benefit, but only if you have someone that you trust to do it.

missfortune9335
September 5th, 2009, 09:56 AM
I just sent you a message on my personal opinion (because I wanted to check the photos in your album for newer ones) but I vote, don't cut! :)

Spring
September 5th, 2009, 09:57 AM
Trim or no trim, your hair is absolutely beautiful!

(I agree with missfortune9335, I vote don't cut :))

Rivanariko
September 5th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Try for the tiniest trim that you can manage. Less than a 1/4". It'll neaten up the little bit of "rattiness" that you're percieving, but you won't be sacrificing hardly any growth. I'd hate to see you put yourself back when you're just starting to get to the fun part. :)

whiteisle
September 5th, 2009, 01:23 PM

This is usually the time when I get fed up with growing and go get a major chop. This is my 5th or 6th time trying to grow long. I guess I hadn't really realized how aggravating this stage is til I read your post. I think I will try to push past this point. Besides, I don't have anyone I would trust to trim it right now.

And yes, my wee one is quite happy in his "pouch". :D We don't stray too far away from each other right now, lol.

whiteisle
September 5th, 2009, 01:26 PM
In all, I'd say wait til APL.

I love your baby pics too. So sweet and those chunky legs... I love me some chunky baby legs! :D

I think I will as long as my hair stays healthy.

Yeah...ain't they great! Goodbye chicken legs, bring on the hams! :D LOL

julya
September 5th, 2009, 01:41 PM
I trimmed often when my hair was around that length. But it looks fine, and not ratty at all in your photos. Growing out from a pixie cut is certainly a trial of patience!

And is that a moby wrap? I used a very similar one when my kid was small.

whiteisle
September 5th, 2009, 01:47 PM
I trimmed often when my hair was around that length. But it looks fine, and not ratty at all in your photos. Growing out from a pixie cut is certainly a trial of patience!

And is that a moby wrap? I used a very similar one when my kid was small.

Patience definitely! ;)

Yes, the blue one in the pics is a Moby and the other is a Baby Hawk. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my carriers! :D

Red Rapunzel
September 5th, 2009, 02:04 PM
Hey, Whiteisle, I had not had a trim for about six years - just occasional search and destroying of split ends myself. Well, I got tired of always having to wear my mid-thigh-length hair up and the ratty way it had been looking. I had been on a quest to see how long my hair could grow. It had remained at mid-knee-length for the past year. Therefore, I had my answer - it could grow to mid knee. So I felt free to go ahead and have the ratty part chopped off. I went to a beauty salon for the first time in six or seven years and they were in awe of my length! They gasped as I let my hair down. But the last 8 to 9 inches did look ratty. So without a second thought, I had those lower 9 inches chopped off, and let the stylist wash and blow out my hair (which now comes to tailbone). My hair looked SOOOO much better! People told me it made me look 10 years younger!! I have been wearing it down again a lot and getting a lot of second looks from strangers. A woman at Walmart told me it was gorgeous!! I may even have another 8 inches chopped off. I like mid back or just below mid back length a lot because it doesn't tangle nearly as much and you don't have to worry about it when you use the potty! Red Rapunzel Really long hair like I had has to be worn up or worn in a braid. Why have long hair if you can't wear it down or it doesn't look good? I have NO regrets about chopping my 9 inches off - still have very long hair - to tailbone and am thinking of going to just below mid back.

Red Rapunzel
September 5th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Actually, in my post to Whiteisle, I said my hair was "mid-knee", but what I meant was that it
was "mid-thigh."

Red Rapunzel

Speckla
September 5th, 2009, 02:08 PM
I'd say let it grow as long as your ends aren't broken or being too tangled.

julya
September 5th, 2009, 11:16 PM
The moby wrap is awesome! I loved using mine when my son was a baby. I used an ergo carrier when he got to heavy.