PDA

View Full Version : Hair shed & shampoo relation?

whiteisle
September 4th, 2009, 08:22 PM
I've recently had my third babe (and last! lol) so I'm well aware of the massive shed that happens around this time and I haven't managed to escape it yet again. BUT, I also read in a recent thread about Pantene causing hair loss?? I've been using it (beautiful lengths) for about 2.5 months now and my hair seems to behave really well with it but if it's contributing to any shedding/loss I'll drop it like a hot potato! I've got some Aussie Moist poo and condish that I was going to use after the Pantene ran out but if Pantene is so evil I may go ahead and switch. So does anyone have any info or experience with this phenomenon?

Annushka
September 4th, 2009, 08:40 PM
I have the same question! A year ago I had a massive shed, and thought that it was due to a stressful new job, but now I wonder if it was partly the time of year, since I'm again experiencing increased shedding.

But also I've been wondering whether my shampoo is partly to blame. Last year I was using Infusium 23 during the big shed, then I switched to Avalon Organics which was SLS-free, and the shedding seemed to lessen up a bit. I ran out of that a month or so ago and started using Pantene Beautiful Lengths, and then I started shedding more and freaked out. Is it the shampoo, or the time of year?

The Infusium and the Pantene have sulfates, and I think the Avalon Organics didn't, so I thought maybe that is a factor for me. So I just started using Organix, which is sulfate-free, but it hasn't been long enough for me to notice a difference.

whiteisle
September 4th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Interesting.........I hadn't thought that the time of year may be a factor. Great! :rolleyes: Now, it could be baby related, Pantene, or the weather.....or maybe all three! LOL

jivete
September 8th, 2009, 02:45 PM
I think the cones can do it to some. Cones make my scalp itchy and irritated.

Heidi_234
September 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I discovered that any SLS shampoo increases my shedding rate. When I just joined LHC I was shedding quite big amounts all the time. I threw away the shampoo I used and discovered my shedding decreased dramatically. I have very dry scalp with low sebum production, so I don't actually need to shampoo.

Conditioners on the scalp can also cause increased shedding (esp for those with straighter hair I noticed).
You can try to use milder cleanser - maybe soapnuts? And see what if it helps your shedding.

Elphie
September 8th, 2009, 02:56 PM
A lot of people experience shedding during the fall, it may just be seasonal and unrelated.