PDA

View Full Version : Signs you need a protein pack?

Luckysock
September 4th, 2009, 09:42 AM
I've been through a lot of the articles on LHC, but I'm still a bit confused about when to use protein.

What are some of the signs that you might need a protein treatment?

Topaz
September 4th, 2009, 09:46 AM
I'd like to know too. :confused:

Fractalsofhair
September 4th, 2009, 09:59 AM
If your hair has been extremely damaged, it may be a good idea. Also, if when you take one hair, pull on it, it stretches and doesn't return to the original length, it's a good idea. Note, your hair should be dry. After a bleach job is always a good idea. Best option is to just use a heavy moisturizer first, then if it still feels bad, use protein and then a moisture pack again. It's very rare for hair to be overmoisturized.

Luckysock
September 4th, 2009, 10:38 AM
Great advice! Thank you!

Luckysock
September 4th, 2009, 12:01 PM
I guess my next question is how you know if you've overdone it with the protein... what are the signs that your hair needs a break from it.

(I also tried the stretch test (with a piece that fell out) and it snapped :( Its pretty damaged, I blame my flat iron, we used to spend a lot of time together.

thankyousir74
September 4th, 2009, 12:04 PM
(I also tried the stretch test (with a piece that fell out) and it snapped :( Its pretty damaged, I blame my flat iron, we used to spend a lot of time together.

Mine snapped too, I think that's normal isn't it?

Luckysock
September 4th, 2009, 12:08 PM
Mine snapped too, I think that's normal isn't it?

hehe I have no idea (if its normal) but I heard before that healthy hair will stretch quite a bit before it breaks - I got no stretch at all :(

heatherdazy
September 4th, 2009, 02:23 PM
I'm skeptical that women who never color or perm/relax would really need protein unless they are regular swimmers.

Hair that needs protein tends to feel weak, cotton candy-ish, and when it's wet it feels mushy.

Gigi1962
September 4th, 2009, 04:54 PM
hehe I have no idea (if its normal) but I heard before that healthy hair will stretch quite a bit before it breaks - I got no stretch at all :(

I thought that if your hair snapped without really stretching, it was a sign it needed moisture? :confused:

(I am still quite new to all this - so hopefully someone with better knowledge than me will be able to help.)

Fractalsofhair
September 4th, 2009, 05:54 PM
I'm skeptical that women who never color or perm/relax would really need protein unless they are regular swimmers.

Hair that needs protein tends to feel weak, cotton candy-ish, and when it's wet it feels mushy.

Flat ironing can do quite a number on hair. Also, some people do have naturally porous hair. Sun lightening can cause a need for protein. Most hair needs moisture, not protein though in terms of damaged hair.

heatherdazy
September 4th, 2009, 08:18 PM
Sun lightening = color/bleach, agreed.