PDA

View Full Version : Any good updos for those of us with layers?

Luckysock
September 4th, 2009, 08:00 AM
Any good updo's for those of us with layers?

I've got long layers in mine and they make it difficult to do some of the beautiful buns I've seen on this site. Just wondering if anyone out there with layers has some good styles they can share :D

Vrushali
September 4th, 2009, 08:15 AM
:Patiently waits:

marikamt
September 4th, 2009, 08:19 AM
:Patiently waits:

I'm in line too..... :whistle:

halo_tightens
September 4th, 2009, 08:28 AM
You could probably manage a Gibson tuck... That's one of the few updos I can manage at this length with my thick hair, so I've been wearing it a lot lately.

It can be changed up a little for variety-- for example, I sometimes use a sparkly clip to fasten it, and sometimes weave a hairstick through to secure it instead.

Example--

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=3809&pictureid=48959

Luckysock
September 4th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Like in your picture? Super pretty! you have a bit more curl to your hair than I do, i wonder if it would like kind of deflated with my hair - I'll give it a try though! cause I really like how it looks on you.

Thanks!

Wind
September 4th, 2009, 08:53 AM
If your layers are long enough to make a pony tail, I love a good messy bun. I always have a hairband and a few bobby pins on me, so I can throw it up anywhere. :)

Madame J
September 4th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Check out my updos album -- I have mad layers from growing out a pixie, and then a layered bob with bangs. Sometimes my grown-out bangs slip out when I do a bun, but I can get most of the layers mostly confined in an updo, and that way they're not getting frayed from getting caught in seatbelts and purse straps and such. You just have to accept that your buns are going to be a bit spiky for a while -- it's the sexy, messy, undone look, right?

Luckysock
September 4th, 2009, 11:39 AM
I can't get into the albums yet :( I have 25+ posts, but I don't know how long it is till I have access....

Medievalmaniac
September 4th, 2009, 11:42 AM
are your layers long enough to twist them to attach to the longer part of your hair? That's what I do, and with pinning it has been pretty successful at trapping most of the shorter layers within the overall bun...I get a twist on the side of my head in pretty much every bun I do, but the actual bun itself is usually more or less a successful imitation of the non-layered one.

missfortune9335
September 4th, 2009, 07:48 PM
waaiiiit a minute! my gibson tuck does not look like that, I've been doing it wrong! (your's is so much prettier) ah well back to the mirror I guess...

Liluri
September 4th, 2009, 07:56 PM
You could probably manage a Gibson tuck... That's one of the few updos I can manage at this length with my thick hair, so I've been wearing it a lot lately.

That Gibson tuck looks fantastic!

(I'm sorry no suggestions for layered hair, I've never had anything but long layers.)

curls2grow
September 4th, 2009, 08:10 PM
I love your Gibson Tuck, halo_tightens. Mine is never that neat looking!

I'm watching this thread. I am planning to get some "face-framing layers" added next month when I get my haircut. Even though my hair is relatively short by LHC standards, I can still do a decent bun, so I'm watching for ideas on making the layers work too.

heatherdazy
September 4th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I find that it's easy to do updos which are spread around your head and not all in one place, like a bun.

Twists are good, as are tucked in braids, or anything wear you pull the crown up first then pull the rest back.

halo_tightens
September 4th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Sincere thanks for the compliments!! I'm blushing now... :o