PDA

View Full Version : Weird neck hair line.

Ravenwaves 88
September 4th, 2009, 06:21 AM
Does anyone else have a weird hair line on their neck?

I find that it gets annoying for french braids.

I have a deep M shape, and the hairs at the tip of the M are always being pulled. Makes me want to shave it for more of a typical V shape hair line.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

Longlocks3
September 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM
Mine is an M also! It also goes really far down my neck. My hair is super thick in the back and sadly not on the top and sides. I wouldn't shave it personally because I need all the thickness I can get and I could see growing it out later would be annoying.
Are you familair with any youtube french braiding videos such as torrinpaige's? She does a great trick to prevent the bottom bump but it might also relieve some of the pulling.

Kerynna
September 4th, 2009, 06:56 AM
I do! (You can see in my photo album what it looks like.) In fact, I started a thread very similar to yours several months ago. I even got somewhat obsessed, looking at photo album after photo album to see if I was the only freak with a deeply jagged and uneven neck hair line. :p

But people responded to my thread and said basically that everyone's hairline is different, nobody's is perfect, and that most likely I'm the only one who notices it. It made me feel a lot better and I can honestly say that I don't even think about it anymore.

I seriously considered shaving it, but I'm so glad I decided against it. Can you imagine the maintenance on keeping that up? And as the hair grows back in, I imagine the neck would look dirty from a distance, and it would itch, and ..... No, thanks.

Ravenwaves 88
September 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM
As I am still new to this site I cannot look at albums as of yet. Thank you for reassuring me that I'm not the only one.

UncommonTart
September 4th, 2009, 07:25 AM
I have the same sort of hairline, and I just braid a little looser at that point and hold the braid strands "down" rather than "up" or "out" as I braid the length, so that they're sort of layning flat against my head and neck.

Lilli
September 4th, 2009, 07:35 AM
My hair line is like that, it is annoying, but shaving won't help. I avoided french braids for the reason that it pulled uncomfortably on those hairs.

Luckysock
September 4th, 2009, 07:49 AM
That's so weird that you posted this! I was just about to post on the same issue!

Yes I have a really weird un-even hair line. Its all over the place on the top (forehead) and what I really hate is the line at the nape of my neck. There are thinner hairs on each side that come down lower than the rest of the hairline - its like neck sideburns lol gross. I usually wear my hair down cause I hate these little pieces, but now that I am growing my hair out, it'd like to one day be able to wear it up in some of the beautiful buns I've seen on this site. So I've been thinking about electrolysis. Anyone tried that? I think Rita Hayworth had her hairline done - if it was good enough for her - its good enough for me ;)

JamieLeigh
September 4th, 2009, 08:33 AM
If you shave your neck hairs, they'll just grow back and you'll have to keep maintaining them. That sounds like a lot of work to me, honestly. I have annoying little curls that grow downward on the left side of my neck hairline, while the right side grows upward and long with the rest of my hair. Who knows why it happens, but believe me, we share your pain. Just accept it and love it, most of us do. :flower:

ChrissieM
September 4th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I have weird neck hair (see my sig pic) that never seems to get any longer than the little fuzzes I have. I need to remember to henna them next time I do my hair so they at least match the rest of my head. :)

Tess2319
September 4th, 2009, 10:15 AM
Am I the only one who shaves?

I have a very long neckline accompanied by a really long M-shape. The hair on the legs of the M grows straight up, and was strong enough to make the back not lay right even when my hair was shoulder length. So I've been shaving it since it was pixie length.

Of course once hair was shoulder length and the rest of the hair was heavy enough to overcome the cowlick, growing it out was too weird.

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu282/tesskwiltz/grah-toe_tadpoles-1.jpg

I dye my hair anyway, so I get it buzzed the same time I get my roots done. When I wasn't going to the salon once a month, DH did it for me.

If I had the money I would probably laser it.

Curlsgirl
September 4th, 2009, 10:52 AM
I have a weird lopsided M too. LOL. It doesn't give me any problems though when I french-braid. Hmmmmmmm

janiejones
September 4th, 2009, 11:43 AM
i have little pointy V shaped wisps of hair at either side of my neck that absolutely refuse to grow more than a couple inches, and they don't even fit in any sort of updo or braid so I'm not damaging them....but it's still a very peculiar hairline and I guess there's not really anything I can do about it but embrace the little baby hairs!

aada
September 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
I'm another one with the M-line. They always grow in little perfect spirals. ;)

When I had my hair shorter in a bob, I would shave them (they threw off the line of the cut), but now that I am growing, I leave them alone! (Actually, another member has a very similar hairline and curl like mine. I can't remember her name, but her pic is a gorgeous perfect sock-bun(?) with her pretty red hair and the curly! :D

Shaving them sucked. They looked fine the first couple days, but after that it just looked kinda icky. *shrug*

Kerynna
September 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM
As I am still new to this site I cannot look at albums as of yet. Thank you for reassuring me that I'm not the only one.

Here ya go:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2207&pictureid=32505

Melisande
September 4th, 2009, 01:45 PM
Am I weird? I think this looks perfectly lovely. Like a widow's peak, only in the nape.

*off to check my own hairline*

DolphinPrincess
September 4th, 2009, 02:11 PM
Ah, I have this too. I never really gave it that much thought though. It's nothing compared to my hairline in the front... :shrug:

pradabacon
September 4th, 2009, 03:05 PM
I have an 'M'. No biggie. :shrug: I can't imagine trying to keep it shaved and I doubt anyone but me would ever notice it or find it strange or bad if they did. I think it's relatively common.

Don't worry about it! :flower:

ETA: Mine wants to pull in updos sometimes too, but I just press on the area to loosen it up or try to make it looser in that area as I do the do *lol*.

vindo
September 4th, 2009, 03:30 PM
Does anyone else have a weird hair line on their neck?

I find that it gets annoying for french braids.

I have a deep M shape, and the hairs at the tip of the M are always being pulled. Makes me want to shave it for more of a typical V shape hair line.

Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions?

I never thought the shape of the hairline was important..o_O

Mine is an undefined shape...little round..little M (fuzzy hairs)..can't tell.

funnybunny668
September 4th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Mine grows similar to that, too.
I had it shaved off when I was wearing a pixie, now it's growing out.
If anything pulled when I wore it up or braided when it was longer, I'd just pull that spot a little looser.

VanillaTresses
September 4th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Yes! I definitely have this problem. I try not to think about it too much. It helps that I can't see it unless I am looking at the back of my head via another mirror! ;)

The unfortunate part is that it isn't even symmetrical-- it comes down much further on one side than on the other.