PDA

View Full Version : Plastic hairsticks with a seam

Hairytale
September 4th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I got some plastic hairsticks I've never really worn because they got seams. I'm afraid those seams will damage my hair, so I tried to sand down one seam. But the hairstick didn't really become smoother, in fact I'm worrying I'm making it worse because the plastic surface isn't as even as before.
I'd really like to wear the sticks because they're quite beautiful...

How do you deal with plastic hairsticks which got a seam?

(I searched the boards but I didn't find what I looked for. I hope it's okay to start a new thread for this problem.)

Heavenly Locks
September 4th, 2009, 05:00 AM
I had good luck with a fine nail file :) Careful though, some sticks are just coated with color and are clear plastic underneath. (or white)

longhairedfairy
September 4th, 2009, 05:18 AM
After sanding it you could try coating it with a layer or two of clear paint to help make it smooth.

frizzinator
September 4th, 2009, 07:34 AM
You have been given some good advice. I'd like to add that the way you can get smoother results with sanding is by using finer and finer grit sandpapers. The coarse grit paper will get rid of the seam, then sand with a finer grit paper to help smooth the roughness created by the coarse paper. Then sand with an even finer paper.

One possibility of why you might not be getting good results could be because you started with a fine grit sandpaper which may not be enough to remove the seam. When using a coarse paper, don't worry about the roughness, just remove the seam and then depend on the finer grit paper to smooth the surface.

Hairytale
September 4th, 2009, 08:10 AM
Okay, thank you all very much for your replies! When I got first results, I'll keep you posted how it worked! :flower: