PDA

View Full Version : blonder than I thought? :)

handsclean
September 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
I got a trim yesterday, and afterwards the hairdresser blew it out straight for me. I haven't worn it straight in ages, and I was surprised- there was always debate over whether I have blonde or brown hair, but it was very blonde when straight! Has this happened to any other wurlies/curlies? :)

ladylibra
September 4th, 2009, 07:10 AM
Yes, now that I'm a henna head.

My hair still looks decidedly deep dark brown... almost black except when I wear black if you know what I mean. ;) But when I straighten it, it looks reddish-brown. I guess because straight hair reflects the light differently...

GlassEyes
September 4th, 2009, 09:01 AM
There was a thread like this a while ago started by Curlsgirl. I personally think it's because light is reflected differently when hair is straightened/not wavy and/or curly. Another thing could be that the heat could slightly change hair color, but meh.

rhubarbarin
September 4th, 2009, 09:15 AM
Yeah, the straighter my hair is (even if it's not sleek, but EXPLODY from brushing it out), the blonder it appears. In my case I think a lot of it is because the very top layer of my canopy (which gets the most sun and is hence the lightest) is more evenly distributed the less curling/clumping there is.

Also, what they said about the reflection of light.

jivete
September 4th, 2009, 09:26 AM
Cleaner hair is lighter too, so if you went to the salon and got a full shampoo, your hair might be lighter. Mine is after I clarify.

Fractalsofhair
September 4th, 2009, 10:31 AM
Well, blonde hair does look darker when it's in curls(the curls cast a shadow). Also, if you're wearing it curled, do you have a leave in in it? When I don't oil my hair, it's almost white(and very puffy and just... Very odd looking and frizzy and then my scalp hurts etc), but when I do oil it, it becomes a light/medium blonde. Naturally blonde hair is a very fickle color to keep.