PDA

View Full Version : straight damp bunning and fuzzy hair

Rentlle
September 3rd, 2009, 10:42 AM
Hey guys, I have a question here :)

I have like two little problems.. alias.. one bigger and one little..
the first one is:
I don't like bun waves.. XD (that's the little problem)
Is there any way to let hair airdry and keep it straight or not THAT wavy when I don't want to dry it loose?
Is there any bun or updo that doesn't make hair wavy?

Problem two, is related and a bit bigger.
When I let my hair airdry (like I always do) in a braid, or a bun or whatever it gets SOOOOOOO FUZZY!!!!
but I mean, not a bit.. realy!! :o
when I do it I get comments like: woow, you should cut your hair, it looks realy bad..
or
gosh, what happend to your hair?!!
When I let it dry straight, it's like, straight and shiny and soft and silky and I get comments like: "gosh, what did you do with your hair? it's.. wow.. never cut it!!!"

The point is, I hate drying loose :p, my back/chest gets totaly wet and I realy don't like that...

so.. how can I dry my hair, in a updo so it doesn't get fuzzy/crunchy, realy wavy,big waves stuff..
you know

looking forward to your answers :)

Rentlle

Heidi_234
September 3rd, 2009, 10:49 AM
I hate the dripping too, I just put a towel over my shoulders so it covers my back and my hair drips into it instead of on me. It doesn't take too long to get past the drippy stage, and you can ruffle your hair from time to time to make it dry faster.
As for updo's, everything's going to leave some sort of wave in the hair, a caterpillar ponytail maybe? Or dividing it in two parts and wrapping them like a crown braid would go? Although that would make it air dry much longer. Up to you.

Anje
September 3rd, 2009, 11:54 AM
An untwisted bun would probably dry straighter than a twisted one, for whatever that's worth. But it'll still have a bit of wave to it. Like Heidi said, a "catepillar" ponytail might be a better way to get your hair to dry straight. Any reason you can't just leave it loose to dry? Mine dries faster that way, but the only effect I've ever gotten from damp bunning is a soggy scalp. You don't have to let it drip-dry -- just wrap it up in a towel for about 10 minutes til it's just damp, then let it down and fingercomb it.

As far as the frizz goes, have you considered putting in a leave-in? A little conditioner, oil, or aloe gel might make all the difference.

Rentlle
September 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
As far as the frizz goes, have you considered putting in a leave-in? A little conditioner, oil, or aloe gel might make all the difference.

I do that already, but don't seem to work well.;
allthough, it's less frizzy then before I did it, but it stays realy frizzy, and if I air-dry it's just soo straight and silky.. such a big difference!! :o

I don't like airdrying because I wash my hair in the morning, afterwards I have (always) to go by bike to school or other stuff, so my hair gets dammaged and it's in my eyes and stuff.. so I can't see the road XD
It's also easy-er to get a cold that way...

thankyousir74
September 3rd, 2009, 01:19 PM
When I was younger, and had long hair, I had a towel especially for air drying. I'd use a safety pin and manage cape-like arrangement. It kept my back dry for the most part.

spidermom
September 3rd, 2009, 01:53 PM
After bunning or braiding, I smooth the surface of my hair with aloe vera gel AND Nature's Gate styling putty (a little goes a l o n g way). I don't like the frizzly-frazzly look, so hip-hip-hooray for products that work and can be combed through later.

Roseate
September 3rd, 2009, 01:55 PM
I don't like airdrying because I wash my hair in the morning, afterwards I have (always) to go by bike to school or other stuff, so my hair gets dammaged and it's in my eyes and stuff.. so I can't see the road XD
It's also easy-er to get a cold that way...

Maybe try changing your routine so you wash in the afternoon or evening, when you don't have to go out right away?

Anje
September 3rd, 2009, 02:00 PM
Evening washes seem like an easier way to go for me, too. Though there's no reason you can't ponytail your hair for biking, then let it loose again to finish drying after you get to school, right?

(Totally off-topic, but how do you bike with a bun? There's no way I can do a bun and wear my helmet, and the helmet is non-optional.)

spidermom
September 3rd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Evening washes seem like an easier way to go for me, too. Though there's no reason you can't ponytail your hair for biking, then let it loose again to finish drying after you get to school, right?

(Totally off-topic, but how do you bike with a bun? There's no way I can do a bun and wear my helmet, and the helmet is non-optional.)

A low bun (nape of neck)? That's what I do when I'm wearing my gardening hat (or braids).

Anje
September 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
Doesn't work. Most helmets I've seen these days have a section that comes around over the nape.

saskia_madding
September 3rd, 2009, 03:34 PM
I suggest a caterpillar ponytail (although I had never head it called that, but I like it!) - when you make a pony tail and then cinch it a few inches down with another elastic, all the way down to the bottom. Make sure the elastics aren't too tight, or else your hair will dry with "dents" in it at the location of the extra elastics.

If you don't want to leave the ponytail hanging loose, carefully and without twisting it, wrap it into a VERY loose bun and use hair sticks, you should be good to go.

Rentlle
September 4th, 2009, 09:47 AM
Doesn't work. Most helmets I've seen these days have a section that comes around over the nape.

tx for the answers guys :)
will try the catterpillar-thing :)

In Belgium we don't have to wear helmets... *blush*

kdaniels8811
September 4th, 2009, 10:02 AM
They make helmets for long hairs, try some bicycle shops where you can try them on. Mine allows me to make a low bun on the nape of the neck, it is one of the name brand ones that escapes me at the moment! They also make bicycle helmets with ponytail openings.

Roseate
September 4th, 2009, 11:47 AM
In Belgium we don't have to wear helmets... *blush*

We don't have to wear them in the US either, there's no law... we just like our skulls! ;)

There are motorcycle helmet laws, but not for bicycles. (Actually, I just looked it up, and some states do have laws requiring helmets for kids under 16. Over 16, your skull is your own concern.)

I have one of those helmets designed to allow a low bun too, though I usually wear a braid when I ride.

Ruvie
September 4th, 2009, 12:40 PM
When I was younger, and had long hair, I had a towel especially for air drying. I'd use a safety pin and manage cape-like arrangement. It kept my back dry for the most part.
I love any excuse to wear a towel as a cape! :cheese:

violetflower
September 4th, 2009, 12:53 PM
Hi!

I find that when I braid my damp hair, then take it out when it is dry, it looks great until I touch it, then it looks frizzy! To your drying dilemma, when I have just washed, I loosely coil my hair at the back of my head, then encase my hair in a turbie towel, if I leave this on for long enough I find that my hair is damp and doesn't drip. :)

heatherdazy
September 4th, 2009, 02:20 PM
I've noticed the same thing, so I usually rub a coney serum over my hands before pulling out the braids and that has helped quite a lot.

Whimsical wind
September 6th, 2009, 03:36 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned, but when I wash my hair I leave it wrapped in the towel for five minutes and then it doesn't drip.

Ksears4
January 7th, 2014, 10:58 AM
This happened to me. I tried damp bunning last night and this morning when I woke up my hair is all fuzzy and tangled crazy mess. It will take me forever to get these knots out without breaking my hair!!! I won't be damp bunning again

afu
January 7th, 2014, 11:09 AM
I find the best option to be a lazy wrap bun, it dries my usually curly hair to just a little wavy so maybe on straight hair it would give even less wave

SleepyTangles
January 7th, 2014, 11:47 AM
There's a method I heard of, we dubbed it "ruota svedese (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEYrPG8acoc)" (swedish wheel) or just "svedese" (swedish); but on the international web I've seen they call it more frequently dominican wrap/doobie (http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dominican+wrap&sm=3).
Problem is, I don't know if you can do it with damp hair :confused:! In the first video, the introduction tells to do it on "more or less dry hair" and keep it for an hour, but maybe you can try!

lunalocks
January 7th, 2014, 12:06 PM
Here is what I do. I wash etc at night, then bun while still wet on the very top of my head. In the morning it is still wet, but I have an hour or so to let it down and dry the rest of the way. That is my answer to wanting straight (or in my case no bun bumps) hair int he morning, but washing the night before.

I also have found the bunning on the top of my head with the seashell bun secured with spin pins, with the first rounds around the fingers wide and the last 3 smaller, or tighter, I end up with straightish hair with the ends curled and no bun bumps.

I wear my bike helmet forward on my head (like you are supposed to) and my low nape bun fits nicely underneath.

MarlieJane
January 7th, 2014, 06:56 PM
I find the best option to be a lazy wrap bun, it dries my usually curly hair to just a little wavy so maybe on straight hair it would give even less wave

I second this. It seems to dry my 2a hair pretty straight.

Kiwiwi
January 7th, 2014, 08:22 PM
Completely off topic, I know, but I do want to say this.
Belgium and The Netherlands are like... the bike countries in the world. Almost nobody wears helmets (that includes kids). And yes, we like our skulls too.
I guess it's because, as we are a bike country, we have special bike lanes -everywhere- and it's quite safe to ride your bike here.
Decades ago there were a lot of accidents and deaths and the people protested, wanting safe bike lanes, etc. And we got them for decades now.
So really, there's no need to wear helmets here. Of course, it's safer when you do. But i just wanted to point his out :)

QMacrocarpa
January 8th, 2014, 07:17 PM
I almost always wear a bun with my bike helmet. These days it's a Bell Citi (http://www.amazon.com/Cycling-Helmet-54cm-61cm-21-25-Yellow/dp/B00E8A9SBA), but I was also able to wear buns with an older Giro Indicator (http://www.amazon.com/Giro-Indicator-Helmet-Yellow-Livestrong/dp/B008Z9H1NM/). With a center-held bun, the back edge of the helmet can tuck in between the top of the bun and your head. I think I would have trouble with the (cute!) Nutcase helmets which I think have more bulk low on the back of the head.

There are motorcycle helmet laws, but not for bicycles. (Actually, I just looked it up, and some states do have laws requiring helmets for kids under 16. Over 16, your skull is your own concern.)

U.S. helmet laws are at least somewhat at the municipal level. There's at least one area in my county where helmets are required for all cyclists.

Completely off topic, I know, but I do want to say this.
Belgium and The Netherlands are like... the bike countries in the world.

I read the cycling blog (http://www.aviewfromthecyclepath.com/) of an expat Englishman who lives in the Netherlands with a degree of wistful envy that sometimes makes my eyes water!

SoulOfTheSea
January 9th, 2014, 11:58 AM
My hair is wavy naturally, so I like to put my hair up in a Nautilus bun to make it straight and sleek. You could always try that!

ETA: I make the bun with partially damp hair, like 95-99% dry with a light silicone serum. This prevents frizz and tangles.

Llama
January 11th, 2014, 02:07 PM
Damp bunned last night for the first time... woke up with the tangliest, frizziest hair ever.
Back to air drying completely before putting it up at all :)