PDA

View Full Version : I have some questions...

merseaone
September 3rd, 2009, 08:26 AM
1) I've noticed people labeling their hair type with initials. Is there somewhere here that explains the type of hair and how to take care of it?

2) Is there somewhere here that explains the various lengths of hair such as classic?

3) If a person puts oils or stuff in their hair, how do you get the greasies out? I used a Olive Oil sauve on my hair the other day and even after 3 shampoos that day the grease still wouldn't come out! I washed it the next day and it still didn't come out. (Turns out I had picked up a canister of stuff that was for women of color that was meant to stay in hair.)

4) How does one self trim hair? I cut my bangs myself which explains the reason why my style is a bit different than most peoples, but to trim the length myself? I do have a friend who has waist length hair and she has just started trimming my hair for $3, we area trying to do things to help each other out during this economy... (I can't let my hubby anywhere near my hair with a scissors since he has the tremors in his hands.)

Luckysock
September 3rd, 2009, 01:01 PM
hi, i'm new on the site and its a bit hard to maneuver at first, but I think you'll get the hang of it soon :D the post that explains the hair classification (the numbers and letters) is in the MANE FORUM (you can find the link to the forums in the sidebar on the left-hand side of the page) - there is a thread called VIT -VERY IMPORTANT THREADS and in there there is a list of helpful threads - one of them is a link to the HAIR CLASSIFICATION thread

hope that helps!

rach
September 3rd, 2009, 01:10 PM
http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=8954
and
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10
hope that helps

HairColoredHair
September 3rd, 2009, 01:14 PM
Oils... well... That depends. Some people do very light oilings (maybe a drop or two) daily, and that does not need to be washed out.

Heavier oilings usually come out with shampoo (OR conditioner only), maybe two washes, depending. I find mineral oil will not come out of my hair easily, however, and that was probably the main ingredient in your olive oil cream, not olive oil. :)

spidermom
September 3rd, 2009, 01:59 PM
I have found that my hair completely absorbs a few drops of coconut or olive oil. Your product probably has mineral oil, and that does not get absorbed. It is protective, but it doesn't do anything to directly improve the condition of your hair like coconut, olive, jojoba, and some other oils. A good place to find good oils is in the cooking oil or natural foods section of your grocery store. Go for the cold-pressed or expeller-pressed oils. Other oils are extracted with heat, which changes the size of the molecules so that they can't be as readily absorbed (although with coconut oil it doesn't seem to make a difference, not in my hair anyway).

merseaone
September 4th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Having been an /Arbonne Rep I know all about mineral oil. Yes, the main ingredient was mineral oil.

Rivanariko
September 4th, 2009, 09:36 AM
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim <-- Feye's self-trimming instructions.
Many of the people here swear by this method of trimming your own hair. I've used it once and it worked great.