PDA

View Full Version : Going for the Cut...TODAY

lyria
September 3rd, 2009, 08:03 AM
Okay, I've been MIA for a while due to bar exam studies and then fleeing the country to erase the memory of said bar exam. Today I am going for a hair cut. My job starts on Tuesday and I know I will ask for at least 2" off, but I am torn as to whether I should get more off.

My hair is in really good condition right now. Very thick hem, shiny length, no real problems. I am currently at 30.5" so very close to goal length. Also, I am starting to like the way it feels on my back when I wear it down. On the otherhand some styles, like a ponytale, are out of the question now, it's just too heavy. I am torn. The appointment is at 1,45.

In the end I may just ask my stylist what she thinks. She loves my hair and has never given me a bad cut (once she even refused to cut as much as I asked for... she was right!).

Heavenly Locks
September 3rd, 2009, 08:05 AM
If you're so happy with the length and health, why are you wanting to cut it? :shrug:

CaityBear
September 3rd, 2009, 08:08 AM
I'm not too sure why you're cutting it if you're happy with the length and everything.

It's getting heavy and you're not even at your goal length. If you want to get to goal length still you're going to have to find ways to deal with the heaviness.

So my opinion is...if you still want to grow your hair longer then don't cut it now. Try to find new hairstyles that will balance the weight of your hair.

SimplyViki
September 3rd, 2009, 08:09 AM
I have to second Heavenly Locks' question. I'm a bit puzzled. Have you tried other styles to wear to work? The only thing I am getting from your post is that perhaps you feel you need to cut so that you can wear some simple styles to work, but I would imagine there's something you could do with your hair for work now. And if it's in such great condition, and you do have a fast-approaching goal length, why cut?

KnightsLady
September 3rd, 2009, 08:10 AM
If you're so happy with the length and health, why are you wanting to cut it? :shrug:

Err, yes, why are you? Just go for the lesser amount, I'd say, especially if you're close to your goal. Reach your goal first before deciding and give yourself a bit more time to make the final decision when you do.

Carolyn
September 3rd, 2009, 08:25 AM
I don't understand the need for 2" off. Why not cancel this appointment and work on new updo's for a month or so? Also I think letting a stylist have free reign with hair that you like is just asking for trouble and a big haircut. Please re-think that.

Lamb
September 3rd, 2009, 08:40 AM
Something tells me the stresses of the bar exam, travelling, and starting a new job are behind this urge to cut, not the weight of your hair. In other words, it seems you're getting a haircut for the wrong reasons.

If a ponytail is too heavy, but you are happy about your hair as it is now, why not try new styles? You might regret the cut, and starting a new job is stressful enough without feeling unhappy about your hair.

Xandergrammy
September 3rd, 2009, 08:49 AM
I'm another one who doesn't understand why you're getting a haircut. :confused:

JamieLeigh
September 3rd, 2009, 09:19 AM
Add me to the confused list. :confused:

Normally when you see a post about a cut, it's because the person is unsatisfied with the way his/her hair looks or feels. You seem to be very happy with it, other than just the weight of it. I agree, try to find some styles that balance the weight out better.

But of course, there is no need to keep your hair long if it's so irritating........it's just that you don't make it sound THAT irritating. :shrug:

misstwist
September 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM
Something tells me the stresses of the bar exam, travelling, and starting a new job are behind this urge to cut, not the weight of your hair. In other words, it seems you're getting a haircut for the wrong reasons.

If a ponytail is too heavy, but you are happy about your hair as it is now, why not try new styles? You might regret the cut, and starting a new job is stressful enough without feeling unhappy about your hair.

Ditto. I would suggest a nice manicure instead of a haircut as a pre-job grooming treat. :D

Toadstool
September 3rd, 2009, 09:35 AM
I'm another one who doesn't understand why you're getting a haircut. :confused:

I think she's just not sure if she actually wants it this length or not, and listing the pros and cons. maybe she's changing her mind about her ultimate goal.

longhairedfairy
September 3rd, 2009, 09:42 AM
If you are really set on having it cut (and if that's what you want then you should do it), then I would suggest just taking off the minimum amount. You can always take off more later if you decide that's what you would prefer. :)

lyria
September 3rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Thanks for the input everyone.

I am a bit confused. I guess I just feel the need to clean up a bit, and since I haven't gotten a trim of any kind since around last march, it feels like it's time. On the other hand I do sort of like the length.

I think I will probably go for the 2" knowing that it will al be back in 4 months or less and I probably won't get another trim until around then any way.

Also, I just got the hang of that whole cinnabun thing (they look kind of weird, but hold all day).

I do want to say though that my stylist is fantastic and would never cut off more than I agreed to.

Deborah
September 3rd, 2009, 12:04 PM
It sounds to me as if you mostly feel that you need to begin your new job with a nice fresh haircut and hemline. I can understand this. And you have probably learned by experience that cutting off two inches makes your hair feel light and renewed and lovely.

Cut with no regret or worry. :scissors: Your hair will still be long and beautiful, and I think you will feel some stress relief, and more ready to move on into this new and exciting phase of your life. You are very wise to just cut this small amount, and not to try to do a huge change to your appearance. :)

I wish you the very best for your new job! :flower:

juliaxena
September 3rd, 2009, 12:19 PM
Oh, I will jut say congrats on the bar exam, I sort of know it's a pain and I say 2 inches is not the end of the world even if you are not totally sure about it. It will grow back. I understand the clearing things up thing. Some beliefs say that cutting hair rids you of the past. So maybe you need to get rid of 2 inches of your past? Just enjoy your life.

purplebubba
September 3rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Don't know if you went yet but here's an idea.
You know that you are prepared to take 2 inches off.
Since you say you trust your stylist this may be one of the times to ask them how much they think needs to be trimmed. If she says more than 2 inches then tell her just 2 inches. If she thinks less needs to come off give that a try.

As far as the number goes its important to keep in mind that sometimes most of the hair only needs a slight trim but for some people like me that little bit in the very back grows into a V shaped tip that might need more taken off if we prefer a straighter hem. So you might only be taking off a 1/2" on most of the hairs but you get a few hairs in the back that will be over 1/2". Which can make it seem like a bigger trim than it was.

You could ask the stylist if it has a V shape. If she says yes then you could specify that you only want it straightened out with the bare minimum off. If that's how you feel.

When you say last march for the trim do you mean 2009 or 2008?

Whatever happens I hope it turns out nice for you. There's nothing wrong with having a nice visit to a salon.
We all have things we do to take a break. My break is driving along the river to see ships. Sometimes in the past I would stop in at various salons along the way and get trims. Or sometimes I'd stop in a store and buy a postcard. If it relieves stress its not bad.

lyria
September 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
Thanks so much for the comments everyone! I just got back and I am very hapy with the outcome.

My stylist, first of all, is a genius. She cut exactly 2" (I just measured, now 28.5") and neatened up the hemline. She kept going on about how healthy it was and how I should never cut it short or dye it. I love her!

It feels nice to have an even clean cut and know that I can lay off the s+d for a little while.

Thanks for all the support and kind words; I love LHC for being such a positive place!

purplebubba
September 3rd, 2009, 01:33 PM
Glad to hear it turned out the way you wanted. :)

Reptilia
September 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
I had the same problem with the weight a couple of months ago, and was considering cutting. Instead, I just stopped wearing pony tails! A simple bun holds the weight evenly, or just a low pony tail at the nape of your neck. If anything, go for a small trim but I wouldn't cut off a bunch, to avoid the regret factor.

OR Cowgirl
September 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
I would suggest trying the Lazy Wrap Bun. I think it's much easier to do than a cinnabun and it will hold with one stick!

Tressie
September 3rd, 2009, 07:44 PM
I'm glad you have a stylist you can trust and that it all turned out to your satisfaction!! That's great!! (o:

Addy
September 3rd, 2009, 07:48 PM
I would suggest trying the Lazy Wrap Bun. I think it's much easier to do than a cinnabun and it will hold with one stick!

I love the lazy wrap bun after outgrowing my other go to bun that won't go anymore. :D