PDA

View Full Version : 30's, 40's and 50's long hair styles...

Sunny
November 5th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I hope this is appropriate, as my first "real" post - and a new topic, too!

For the last several years I've been going vintage. This means I wear a lot of vintage clothing or modern stuff in vintage style, wear vintage-style makeup (especially red lipstick!), and I try to do vintage-style hair. Now my particular focus is from about 1937-1945. Popular hairstyles in that period were pretty short; the longest "usual" as typified by Veronica Lake and Rita Haworth, was from below-shoulder to no longer than BSL. One of my projects is researching what other options there were for really long hair.

Here's where my (minor) hair saga comes in. It's been waist-tailbone length into college; gradually trimmed/shaped shorter, let grow, shorter again. Consistently it's been at least to the shoulderblades. In the last couple years I have experimented with trying to get the typical vintage look. I gave up on pin curls after it took 2.5 hours to put them in and a whole night + 30-45 minutes with a hairdryer to get them dry. Then I looked like Shirley Temple gone crazy and couldn't begin to brush the curls out! I've concluded that I used WAY too much setting lotion, but that still doesn't explain away the length of time it used. And between fulltime work and grad school at night I simply don't have the time for lengthy routines.
Sponge curlers or rag curls seem to be the next best bet. They're vintage and don't take as much work as pincurls. In the spring I managed to do sponge rollers pretty regularly. The results varied, from decent to okay. Here's an example:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Daily/DSC00234-1-1.jpg

The ends are frizz. The sponge rollers compress from the weight and length of my hair, so I'm practically rolling over tiny perm rods. The tiny curls at the ends just tangle.

The goal is to have nice curls or waves. My hair is too thick to brush the curls enough. So I can't even get nice curls, much less waves.

I only wash my hair every 4-5 days and brush it daily. The curls always relax enough that by day 2 or 3 is pretty nice, but day 1 is tough. And day 2 or 3 isn't really curlyany more; more a deeper wave.

At this point, I've failed having typical 1930s/40s hair. So I'm going back to my roots (har har) and growing my hair long, where it feels right.

My current everyday vintage style:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Beauty/DSC00657_crop.jpg

My front hair is in two rolls; I think they're called reverse rolls, but I'm not sure. They give a slight Gibson effect from the front. The rest is done quick 'n' dirty with a curling iron on day 1, just so my ends have some bounce. The frizz/fluff of the top layer of hair is typical these days, even when it's been several days since I've washed. I sleep on the rolls as long as I can, so they can go as many as 3 days before being redone. Whatever I do with the curling iron, though, stays until I wash.

Does anyone have ideas for getting more curls or wave into my hair? Ones that don't require a long setting, drying, or styling time? My hair gets harder and harder to do in vintage styles as it gets longer. I've noticed a difference after trimming no more than 2". Since I want to get my hair back long again, this will only get more challenging. Elainehali has a technique (http://www.forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82)I've never seen before for getting deep waves; maybe that will help.

Any other advice or suggestions? I'd definitely love some 1930s/1940s updos. My avatar pic is as close as I come - it's a lot of work and kind of hurts! :p Does anyone else do vintage hair?

suicides_eve
November 5th, 2008, 02:59 PM
i would deff check out you tube if yo haven't already done so, i love "victory curls" and found several quick and easy ways to to it.

as for having such think and curly hair, i would not advise brushing it since that is what is causing most of your frizz.
I suggest combing while in the shower or misting and running a large tooth wood comb through, it will sperate the curl but not cause frizz. i have natural spirals- i know frizz

Welcome to TLHC!!!!!!!!

Magdalene
November 5th, 2008, 03:19 PM
There's a great tutorial on deep Veronica Lake waves, I think it's under the articles section...

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82) it is!

manderly
November 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
How about a wet set? That's vintage and you can vary the sizes to get tight curls or loose waves.

I did mine and used a bonnet dryer, my hair would dry in about an hour (if you're not adverse to heat). I would then remove them and sleep with my hair in a nightcap.

Comb them out in the morning and soft waves and curls is what I got.

The BEST part about them is it makes your hair like SILK. So it will completely eliminate your frizz issue.

Heres the tutorial I did on it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1499&highlight=wetset

Sunny
November 5th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Hehe, I linked to that article in my post, Magdalene! Now I really can't wait to try it! :D

suicides_eve, my hair isn't curly; it's barely wavey. The curl/frizz only comes after I take the curlers out. I forgot to mention that I do try to finger separate or use a wide comb on them, but it doesn't really work. The curls just wind around each other again. Brushing partially works. I will look for victory curls, though - thanks!

Sunny
November 5th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Manderly, that's a great tutorial! I've never seen that type of curler before, or knew how to use them. I even have a vintage bonnet dryer I picked up at an antique mall for peanuts! I haven't even used it yet; after my pincurl fiasco I was too discouraged. The pattern I use for my sponge rollers is pretty much the same as yours, so that wasn't hard to understand at all. :) Since my hair's longer than yours, do you recommend using a different size of roller or a different amount of hair per roller?

manderly
November 5th, 2008, 04:04 PM
The biggest size in the set that I have gives a really loose wave. I would just experiment to see how you like your hair to end up. I change them up every so often, but I only use 2 or 3 of the largest sizes around my head.

The back of my head is the hardest to do because you have to pull it tight to the ends, and my arms arent that long :silly:

Use soaking wet hair, it's also sooooo much easier to roll than the foam rollers because your hair sticks to the rollers! That's why they're called magnetic. :)

Because your hair shrinks as it dries on the roller it pulls your hair so smooth and silky :)

I think my set was $13 at Walgreens. Get more of the clips, and be sure to get decent ones. I have 2 different brands and one is great while the others shoot out of my hair.

Sunny
November 6th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Sounds great! I've got some shopping to do! :D

sneakybea
November 6th, 2008, 07:06 PM
I really like your hair in both pictures despite the frizz! Don't forget that snoods are also very '40s style, and you can wear them with your "reverse rolls" too!

HotRag
November 7th, 2008, 12:16 AM
Hi.

I love vintage. 40's and back. I have allways loved this.
But I am not a person that would put much time on styling myself. As young I many times wondered how I would manage to live in a time when everyone was wearing dress and had complicated hairdos.

But then I realized that if I really would have lived back then, I most surtenly should have been a real boygirl.
So for now, I mostly wear 30's trousers (ladies or mens) or 20's/30's/40's denim jeans (ladies or mens).

When I cut my long hair in the 90's, I started to do reverse rolls at the sides. But that was forcing me to stop doing a lot of things (as rolling around on the ground with my dogs, or crawling around under my vintage car, or take a motorcycle ride when I haden't prepared).
When hair got longer, I did rolls where the ends was going into the lengths. And the lenghts I braided.
I bit longer hair, and the rolls felt really pully. Then I started to skip rolls and just put it up the way that felt most comfortable, but with vintage or vintage looking barettes.

I realize that if I had really lived in 1900-1945, I would have been a "hillbilly" with braids or non curled lenghts. Or totally out of fashion with bun or braid at nape.
So that is what is me as vintage.

I admit that at home, I don't use certain clothes. At home I use the clothes I have "left". So I go around in old jeans, jeans I got from my brother, shirts I bought in the 80's (not typically 80's, because I have never been "in fashion" so it is a lot of checkered lumberjack shirts).
I am often out on the fields with my dog, getting mud on me, and I am lousy in "beeing careful with clothes and not get stuff/stains on them".

In my profile, there is a photo of my hair in reverse rolls with braids, and a photo of the plain straight do with just barettes with bows.
And a photo of me in the style I have when motorcykling to vintage meetings.

Oh, I put them here:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1255&pictureid=14935http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1255&pictureid=14934http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=1255&pictureid=24026

HotRag
November 7th, 2008, 12:20 AM
I forgot this article: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82

There is a way to do vintage looking waves. As 30's waves. Should get the frizz problem out. Seams easy to set and easy to make at night to get waves during the day.
Pin curls or rag curling is a lot more job and has allways make my hair frizzy and huge.

Tressie
November 7th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I love vintage! Your chenille bathrobe is great. I have a pink one which is alas too small now.
Would you kindly explain how you do your reverse rolls?

Have you tried Caruso type steam curlers for the length curls? I use one when I curl the ends of my hair and it stays in fairly well without frizz.

Robbi Dehlinger
November 7th, 2008, 01:05 AM
Pwetty:) You too hotraq:)

manderly
November 7th, 2008, 02:03 AM
You're quite a gorgeous woman HotRag!

HotRag
November 7th, 2008, 05:21 AM
Oh, thank you. :)

teacher_mom2
November 7th, 2008, 05:35 AM
How about a wet set? That's vintage and you can vary the sizes to get tight curls or loose waves.

I did mine and used a bonnet dryer, my hair would dry in about an hour (if you're not adverse to heat). I would then remove them and sleep with my hair in a nightcap.

Comb them out in the morning and soft waves and curls is what I got.

The BEST part about them is it makes your hair like SILK. So it will completely eliminate your frizz issue.

Heres the tutorial I did on it: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=1499&highlight=wetset
I love hair that has been wet set. When my sister and I were young, my mom found an old hair dryer that a salon was getting rid of (hard top). She would roll our hair and we'd sit and read or draw for about an hour. Then, we would have very shiny, springy curls. When my hair gets long enough, I may have to try this again. My mom was a product of the 40's. In the 50's (teenage years), she wet set her curly hair to give it control and get rid of the friz. I love 40's style!

Sunny
November 7th, 2008, 09:42 AM
I love your thought process, HotRag! I've done living history (1860s) for years, so just "vintage" is a new thing for me. I love it when people put real thought into it - not "How can I look like a movie star?" but "If I lived back then, what would I do?" I can't see your pictures now because I don't have enough posts. I can't wait until then!

Aww, thank you, sneakybea! Snoods are a good idea, too. I need to find some options that won't be too out there at work. Maybe it'll be like the seamed stockings. At first I thought everyone was staring at my legs, but now I hardly think of it.

lora410
November 7th, 2008, 09:51 AM
Yes, you may fidn the snake waves what you are looking for.

Thumper
November 7th, 2008, 09:56 AM
There's a great tutorial on deep Veronica Lake waves, I think it's under the articles section...

Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=82) it is!

THAT.
IS.
SO.
KEWL!

Sunny
November 7th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Reverse rolls for Tressie (who may have the same chenille bathrobe - mine's pink, too! the light and the mirror are a little weird)

This is the effect from the back and top. These are particularly small, neat rolls; I don't try for the authentic, obnoxiously huge 40s rolls every day!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Beauty/DSC00640-1.jpg

I make an off-center part. Then I take the hair from one side from directly above my ear, pretty much straight up toward the part. I just do this with my finger; it doesn't have to be exact. I want it to be easy-looking and not pull funny.

Like any updo, rolls are best with smooth, oily hair. Since the rest of my hair is down, though, and I go 4-5 days between washes, I can't oil all of it. So the first time I do rolls after washing, I put something on the sections for rolls. I started with mousse, then I used VO-5 hair dressing, and now I use Brylcreem. Not much, just enough to tame the flyaways and make the length and ends hold together.

I comb out the section very smoothly, holding it straight away from my head. Pulling it further forward would make a bigger roll.

Then I clip the section with a spring clip thingie about 1-2" away from my scalp. This keeps the very base of the roll, the outside when it's finished, smooth while I'm rolling.

I comb again and slide my fingers to the end. Because of the clip, I can relax the tension and bring my hands in front so I can see.

I form a loop with the ends, about 1-1.5" in diameter. Then I roll this loop up the length of hair, rolling under, exactly as if I'm puttin in a curler. I constantly smooth up the length to keep the different lengths and flyaways in the curl.

When I get back to the scalp, I unclip the spring clip and ease it out, careful not to snag any part of the roll. Then I've got the roll held against my head with my fingers. The part against my scalp is no more than 2" long by feel, but the front of the roll looks longer. You can see this in the picture pretty well.

I use small-size bobby pins, about 1.25" long, to hold the roll. I put in two at each end of the roll, at opposite angles so they X with each other. Sometimes I'll put in a couple extra if I've got a loop sticking out, or part of the roll seems to be sliding down.

This is another view. The back is up in three side-by-side rolls, done completely behind my head, so they're loopy and uneven.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Beauty/DSC00422-1-1.jpg

If my hair were longer, or I bothered to use rats (which I do have), I could make these really big and obnoxious. Or at different angles, for a different look. This experiment shows the basic roll formation pretty well.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Beauty/DSC00729-1.jpg

Rolls take practice, but they're so easy now. I can sleep with them in, too, for one or even two nights. I really love the look!

manderly
November 7th, 2008, 02:25 PM
Here's where I learned how to do these types of rolls, she has other fabulous tutorials :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_rl3w6g1CGc&feature=related

Tressie
November 7th, 2008, 06:36 PM
Hi Sunny, Thank you so very much for taking the time and trouble to explain how you do your reverse rolls!!:blossom:

You gave a good explanation and I think I understand the process. I must say your pics are wonderful! I especially love the look of the length in the rolls as shown in your photo!

Are those pearl decorated barrettes? They really do give an elegant look with your string of pearls and the little curls for softness. You have obviously mastered the look and it is very becoming to you! Thanks again for sharing! :flowers:

manderly, Thanks for the link to those super updo tutorials! I really enjoyed them! It was so kind of you to share!! (o:

gallows_gallery
November 8th, 2008, 08:14 AM
I totally feel your pain!

I've been going vintage for about two years now. At first polished vintage (think Dita), but I've been getting into softer colours and less glitzy stuff lately. My mother thinks I'm hilarious wearing a garter belt and seamed stockings.

My hair is waist length, and I can never, ever achieve vintage looks with it. The best I can do is the puffs with pins at the front. My hair is really silky and straight, won't curl, won't hold, won't wave. I have tried SO many vintage tutorials and hold products - pincurls, fingerwaves, victory curls, etc. but I just end up with limp frizz or nothing at all.

Unfortunately I think my hair is just not "made" for vintage looks unless it were to be substantially shorter (which is NOT happening!)

Tangles
November 8th, 2008, 12:07 PM
Do you think you could perhaps get a hairstylist to cut a few layers into the bottom of your hair? That really gives more curl sometimes. They wouldn't be visible and thus wouldn't have an effect on the authenticity ofyour styles. That said, I'm a huge fan of this look--it's so much more feminine than most of what we see nowadays... and in most pics I see of Veronica Lake and the like, there's a bit of frizz, which looks soft and natural and perfectly fine.

Magdalene
November 8th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Oh, and I almost forgot, I've gotten alot of good vintage ideas on thefedoralounge.com

Sunny
November 17th, 2008, 12:19 PM
Thank you so much, all! I took some pictures the last time I did rolls. The "clippie-thing" bit is my own invention and the hardest to explain, so I wanted to picture it. (Please excuse the demon eyes!)

The hair part for the right-side roll. I comb those first inches very smooth, because that's the part that shows. I also used some Brylcreem on it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Beauty/DSC01355-1.jpg

Now with the clippie. That keeps the first inches smooth. This doesn't hold quite all of the hair, but it's close enough.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Beauty/DSC01356-1.jpg

Making the first loop. Another reason to use the clippie is that I don't have to keep tension on the hair. I make the loop, then roll it toward the scalp, smoothing the hair and gradually increasing the tension when I can. You can really see the Brylcreem in the darker color and shininess of the hair. Believe me, it doesn't stay looking that way. ;)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/Nuranar/Vintage-Clothing/Beauty/DSC01357-1.jpg

Sunny
November 17th, 2008, 12:22 PM
Manderly, I tried the first wet set yesterday. I experimented with the largest size, very little setting lotion, and my vintage bonnet drier. I ended up with not even any wave, but the drier worked perfectly and my hair was both smooth and volumized. It was fun! I'm looking forward to trying again with more lotion and smaller rollers. It'll help if I remember to roll them all the same way next time, too. I was just trucking merrily along and mostly through when I realized that some went forward and some went back. I've never done that before. Embarrassing!

Sunny
November 17th, 2008, 12:24 PM
Tangles - I actually do have some layers in my hair. You're right, it does help! Magdalene, I actually came over here from the Fedora Lounge! I've learned so much.

Sunny
November 17th, 2008, 12:29 PM
I totally feel your pain!

I've been going vintage for about two years now. At first polished vintage (think Dita), but I've been getting into softer colours and less glitzy stuff lately. My mother thinks I'm hilarious wearing a garter belt and seamed stockings.

My hair is waist length, and I can never, ever achieve vintage looks with it. The best I can do is the puffs with pins at the front. My hair is really silky and straight, won't curl, won't hold, won't wave. I have tried SO many vintage tutorials and hold products - pincurls, fingerwaves, victory curls, etc. but I just end up with limp frizz or nothing at all.

Unfortunately I think my hair is just not "made" for vintage looks unless it were to be substantially shorter (which is NOT happening!)

That is very encouraging! I'm glad I'm not alone. :D My grandmother thinks I'm nuts for wearing stockings and a girdle. (Lucky to get away with only a garter belt!) But at the same time, she likes it that I remind her of HER mother.

Have you looked at Dorothy Lamour? Your hair is so gorgeous in your avatar, and it reminds me of hers. At times it was much longer than "regulation" "long hair," even classic length. I really need to look at the updos she had.

Boudicca
November 17th, 2008, 05:28 PM
I think that in the very first picture you posted in the thread, the mid and bottom parts of your hair look very Rita Hayworth:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Gilda_trailer_hayworth1.JPG

If you could get your hair to curl closer to the scalp, I'd say it's just about an exact match.

katiana
November 17th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Very cool! I was wondering how to do those rolls?! I recently got a doll ( a Gene doll ) that has those wonderful vintage hair dos and I just wondered how the heck do you do that?..thanks so much ladies, I want to try this out.

Katze
November 17th, 2008, 11:47 PM
What a wonderful thread!

I love these hairstyles, though they are all a bit high-maintenance for me. Just rolling and pinning the sides/front back gives me a vintage look quite easily, especially on hair that's wavy, but I think I look like I come from that time, anyway.

Lately I have been putting my hair up in loose coils held with a claw clip to sleep. This gives me MAD volume and waves, which I can then easily and quickly style into a retro looking 'do. I'm not specifically aiming for authenticity, rather, a 'do that suits me and my facial/body type.

I've also had good luck with those bendy foam curlers.

Right now I have my hair in two "crown-ish" braids going from my part along to ears, then pulled back and woven around a big messy "bun." For some reason, braids pinned back also look very retro on me, but more 1900-1930 than 1940s. Sort of intellectual peasant girl.

One day BF and I are going to do some retro-style photos at his family's farm of me with these kind of hairdos and animals, tools, etc.

winter_star
November 18th, 2008, 03:32 AM
Here's where I learned how to do these types of rolls, she has other fabulous tutorials :)

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=_rl3w6g1CGc&feature=related

Manderly I have been a big fan of watching her tutorials for the past year. She is absolutely fantastic and talk about making it look so easy.

Sunny you have beautiful hair and do it so well. This is a brilliant thread! thanks for posting.:cheese:

nnickles66
November 27th, 2008, 04:01 PM
For the last several years I've been going vintage. This means I wear a lot of vintage clothing or modern stuff in vintage style, wear vintage-style makeup (especially red lipstick!), and I try to do vintage-style hair.

Hi Sunny. I'm not good at regular hair styles, so I wouldn't even touch vintage-style hair. I bet it takes quite a long time. It sure is amazing & although I can't directly help with your problem .... I just wanted to comment ... and let you know that from what I've seen, you're not doing too bad of a job. :)
Now onto the vintage clothing (http://www.stopstaringclothing.com/) ... this I can get into. I just love it & I'm so glad it's available. I do get tired of seeing the same thing over & over again. Nice to have some flavor added.
Cheers. Nancy.

Fencai
December 14th, 2008, 02:44 PM
last night for my company holiday party, I went retro.

here's a pic of my hair:
I had victory rolls in front, and then peacock twisted the rest of the curls in the back so it was all up.
I also had my first hair-toy hair eating experience. My hair ate the comb it pinned it up with!!! LOL- Im gonna have to upgrade comb size!
Sorry for the shinyness- I had been dancing with my office mate

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/MissAmyLiz/DSCN1808.jpg

elissam
December 15th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Thanks for linking that deep wave tutorial, Magdalene. That's just what I was looking for today.

I'm so pleased to have found this thread. I love vintage clothing, furniture, design elements, etc. Not just for the style, but the attention to detail, interesting pattern cuts, and general high quality and skill that went into the creation of every day items. I fantasize about a future where everything is built to last, and not to throw away in two months. End hijack!

Lady Verity
December 15th, 2008, 04:07 PM
last night for my company holiday party, I went retro.

here's a pic of my hair:
I had victory rolls in front, and then peacock twisted the rest of the curls in the back so it was all up.
I also had my first hair-toy hair eating experience. My hair ate the comb it pinned it up with!!! LOL- Im gonna have to upgrade comb size!
Sorry for the shinyness- I had been dancing with my office mate

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y22/MissAmyLiz/DSCN1808.jpg

Wow, Fencai, you look amazing! I love your piercings.

Um Enis
December 16th, 2008, 06:35 AM

I love that! never thought of it before

Fencai
December 16th, 2008, 06:47 AM
Wow, Fencai, you look amazing! I love your piercings.

awww! thankies!!!! it was fun and everyone loved it! I have a full length pic in my albums if you want to see the whole outfit.
Im going to try the deep waves one night this week.

misstwist
August 25th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Bobby Pin Blog has a post today analyzing hairstyles in The Big Sleep that I have found inspiring.

I like the pulled back sides with the rest of the hair secured at the nape. Any longer length will work for these and they are great for showing off waves and curls (natural or created).

http://bobbypinblog.blogspot.com/2009/08/big-sleep-hidden-hair-jewels.html

**Beware--blog has a jukebox.**

Heavenly Locks
September 3rd, 2009, 12:49 AM
One of my passions is the fashions and lifestyles of these eras, however... I find that there isn't much for the 'longhairs' style wise?

Was it just extremely out of fashion to have long (past APL) hair back then? I know during the 20's the bob was IT and it got longer...but not "longhair" long. ;) I can't imagine that women who had it at hip or classic (etc.) would have cut it for fashion's sake. What did they do?

What can I do with my 'do' when I want to wear a pencil skirt or something like that?

:hmm:

rapunzhell13
September 3rd, 2009, 01:36 AM
Veronica Lake had longish hair, but not LHC long. Short hair was just in as far as I know. :shrug:

Monsterkitti
September 3rd, 2009, 02:29 AM
Im also looking for something for longer hair from this era, I love the style and the look but its pretty hard to find something that will work as my hair gets longer.

Veronica Lake's hair was beautiful :)

Kuchen
September 3rd, 2009, 02:31 AM
Have you tried fake bobs? Snoods are good for 1940s looks too.

Roseate
September 3rd, 2009, 02:47 AM
This thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=16057) had lots of great photos and links and such, all about long hair styles in those decades.

misstwist
September 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM
Heavenly Locks I find that as long as I get the look in the front right with rolls and pomps I can do anything in the back and it looks right.

Often what I do is a rolled front and then the back at a low, rolled chignon. If we are out working all day and I'm traveling between gigs, driving and doing setup and takedown, I will sometimes put a hairnet around the chignon for added durability.

I've posted several links to vintage tutorials with longer hair. I'll will pm you with a list of my favorites instead of spam the board again.

Topaz
September 3rd, 2009, 09:50 AM
You might check out Torrin Paige's videos on YouTube. She shows how to make several vintage styles that you might enjoy.

heatherdazy
September 3rd, 2009, 10:02 AM
Hair styles were complex back then mainly because women always went to their stylist to have it done. I'm guessing the main reason hair was shoulder-apl because that's the easiest length for that type of styling, plus the perms almost every woman would have used back then were much harsher than today's perms, so growing it long would have been difficult.

At your current length, a high pony tied off with a ribbon or scarf would still look pretty authentic, though.

rockkcor
September 3rd, 2009, 10:29 AM
It is but how media are covering certain stile... In fact in 30's-40's-50's you could still see a large amount of floorlength hair braided or bunned...
I think it is all about the media...