PDA

View Full Version : Bad to always wear hair up?

Ravenwaves 88
September 2nd, 2009, 11:16 PM
I have to wear my hair up for my work and they are particular about hair items matching hair and all that.

Are the elastics I'm wearing hurting my hair? Does anyone have a good idea for and updo thats conservative with minimal damage?

Melisande
September 2nd, 2009, 11:19 PM
A French twist held with a Ficcare clip.

Aer
September 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
I wear the Goodys no damage elastics, and I generally don't have any problems as far as damage from that. Infact, alot of us have found out that keeping your hair up most of the time is a way to keep your hair safe from damage. You could also try a traditional bun. I think as long as your not tying your elastics to tight and using rubberbands, you should be ok. Good luck!

Debra83
September 2nd, 2009, 11:33 PM
I have to wear my hair up for my work and they are particular about hair items matching hair and all that.

Are the elastics I'm wearing hurting my hair? Does anyone have a good idea for and updo thats conservative with minimal damage?

Good grief!!! Where (what type of place) do you work?

Gumball
September 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Sometimes doing stuff like wearing a ponytail in the same location over and over runs the risk of damage where the tie is, even if it's not screaming tight. I'd just see what works for you. I've had a lot more success with bunning a braid versus just a cinnabun, and both those are better than wearing a braid down my back where it gets rubbed around and super duper fluffy. I would just say try things and see what you feel works best for you.

Roseate
September 3rd, 2009, 12:15 AM
As long as you vary your style a little so the elastic is not always in the same place, wearing your hair up can be better for your hair than wearing it down.

Look in the articles (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=category&categoryid=1) section and you can learn all kinds of updos that need no elastic at all, even more hair safe. Your hair is long enough that you have lots of options.

Rhiannon7
September 3rd, 2009, 12:16 AM
i concur with everyone here. try bunning or braided buns. i've been wearing my hair up in either a bun or braided bun for almost a year and have seen not just less damage but less tangles. i use goody no ouch elastics to hold my braid tassel and use ballerina bands/elastic bands covered with cloth, and hair sticks. also use a hair fork. try all you want, as i've learned trying helps you find the perfect item to hold your hair up and keep it safe and tangle free.

consarnit
September 3rd, 2009, 12:38 AM
I think wearing it up is a lot less damaging than wearing it down so long as you vary your style occasionally don't pull it back really tight, use a lot of hair spray or metal/snagging hair ties you could pretty much get away with anything.

Heavenly Locks
September 3rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Can you alternate between pins, elastics, sticks and clips? :)

Finoriel
September 3rd, 2009, 02:08 AM
If you need something invisible, switch to amish pins (stainless) or regular u-shaped pins (they are available in different somewhat hair-matching colours) or bunhead pins (from dance/ballet supply). They all work similar but some prefer the ones over the others. Much less mechanically damaging than any elastic can be.
The bun itself also gets much neater and not as messy/bumpy as with elastics... they also distribute the weight much better in case you´re prone to headaches.

It´s not bad to always wear ones hair up in general, :wink: but it is bad if you secure it the wrong way and wear it like that every day.
Needless to say that I had a lot of elastic-breakage in my early teens :rolleyes: :p

Ravenwaves 88
September 3rd, 2009, 02:55 AM
Thank you for all the advice. I'll have to play around with braiding, and french braiding and see if I can mix it up a bit more. I do tend to wear the same style.

Thank you to everyone who responded!

Addy
September 3rd, 2009, 03:56 AM
Sometimes doing stuff like wearing a ponytail in the same location over and over runs the risk of damage where the tie is, even if it's not screaming tight. I'd just see what works for you. I've had a lot more success with bunning a braid versus just a cinnabun, and both those are better than wearing a braid down my back where it gets rubbed around and super duper fluffy. I would just say try things and see what you feel works best for you.

I agree with Gumball. I used to be a constant pony-tailer before LHC and now, I hardly wear one... I think they're booooooorrrrrring. :D Plus I did notice some damage after the fact and I never wore it *screaming tight*. :(

indigonight
September 3rd, 2009, 05:07 AM
is it ok to wear a braid everyday? I find that no matter how hard I tried to distribute the weight of my hair, buns always end up giving me a headache!!

jocosema
September 3rd, 2009, 08:33 AM
I wear a uniform to work, therefore I have to wear my hair up. A lazy wrap bun works really well and I use a plain black hairstick to hold it up that's kind of short. If you are really active I vote a braided or rope braided bun those are really secure and pretty comfortable for all day wear.

SimplyViki
September 3rd, 2009, 08:41 AM
I have to wear something that blends with my hair color for nursing school, they don't want us wearing "hair ornaments". I have a Dymondwood Ketylo stick that is very sturdy, it's one of the more natural/woodlike colors, so it blends in with my hair reasonably well. I can do a number of updos with it.

Hair elastics can be damaging, as others have said, because no matter how gentle they are, you usually still have to tug them all the way down the length of your hair to get them out. And to put them in, you usually have to pull your hair length through them several times as well. It's a lot of friction to put your hair through, especially day after day after day. Some people's hair tolerates friction better than others, but it's something worth being aware of.

JamieLeigh
September 3rd, 2009, 08:58 AM
Elastics shouldn't be too damaging if you're not wearing them too tightly, and if you don't use the kind that have metal pieces. The ouchless variety is nice, but be careful to get the ones that give slack easily. There is a variety of ouchless out there that even my fingers can't stretch apart very easily - I would be very nervous using something like that in my hair.

Also, when you make a ponytail, try not to separate the hair into two strands and pull it to tighten it. That puts a lot of pressure on your hair and can cause breakage if you do it often.

As you grow longer, try to experiment with hair stick styles - there are several I'm sure you're already long enough to do (assuming your avatar is a current photo), and sticks come in every color and shape. :D

tangocurl
September 3rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
Hair elastics can be damaging, as others have said, because no matter how gentle they are, you usually still have to tug them all the way down the length of your hair to get them out. And to put them in, you usually have to pull your hair length through them several times as well. It's a lot of friction to put your hair through, especially day after day after day. Some people's hair tolerates friction better than others, but it's something worth being aware of.

I agree. I like the pony holders that are a seamless loop of lycra or terry fabric because they don't have a piece of rubber in them anywhere, and no rough lumps of glue holding the ends together. They aren't as tight of a fit, but they go in and out of hair gently. If I am afraid of the ponytail coming loose I just braid the end and pin it into a bun, and omit the risk altogether.

ZenBird07
September 3rd, 2009, 12:39 PM
Good grief!!! Where (what type of place) do you work?

This is exactly the kind of thing I had to deal with in the Army... I had black hair so I had to have black hair elastics and scrunchies. Nothing that distracted away from the uniform. My default style at the time was a sock bun. It killed my hair. During certain training spells braiding was the way to go. I'd french braid( insanely tight) starting where my hair started(forehead). Braid it to the end then tuck the tail under the drape( like shove it under there -hard), bobby pin it with the ginormous bobby pins. Oh and I'd have to put in a lot of product before braiding to make sure it stayed...
If you're in the military and had the MOS that I had that encouraged you not to divulge the fact that you are in the military, then I'd understand your not being forthcoming but these styles will be regulation for you...:)

Fencai
September 3rd, 2009, 12:45 PM
how about the new version of the sock bun (the one that doesnt have any remaining ends)?

You can easily hide whatever color rubber band you would use, and it would look like just your hair and its nice and secure!

(and I agree with what everyone else said- as long as your not scalping yourself when you pull your hair back, you should be fine)

Deborah
September 3rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
I have stopped using ANY type of hair tie, especially elastic ones, and my hair is the better for it.

There are many buns and updos that do not need any kind of hair tie. Generally the hair is tucked to deal with hair that otherwise might escape. Sticks, forks, and Amish hairpins are all easy to use, and don't cause damage.

I'd drop the hair elastics if it were me. They are just not safe.