PDA

View Full Version : Hair changing with age

kmouse43
September 2nd, 2009, 08:49 PM
When I was a kid I had stick straight hair that would not hold any curl. Now, i'm 45 and my hair is longer than it has been in 20 years and now I have curl and sometimes almost ringlets. It's so weird! Has anyone else had changes like this as they got older? Also I used to think the length of hair weighed it down and straightened it but I find that many longhairs have more waves and curl as their hair grows. Have you experienced this too? :)

cakebaker
September 2nd, 2009, 09:30 PM
My hair has changed too. Finer, more wavy, and more stubborn! I'm in menopause and I'm sure hormones have something to do with it. I'm going to get back on HRT and see if that helps!

Aer
September 2nd, 2009, 09:50 PM
I'm 24, but I can relate. When I was a kid, my hair was really red, then when I got pregnant with my son a few years back, it turned auburn, then my once really curly hair turned just wavy. and another weird thing was, that a few months back, I noticed I was getting a blond streak, which is weird because my hair is getting darker in other spots. I get bored sometimes, or want to deep treat my hair, so I lightly gloss it with henna. It brightens it, and it got rid of the blond streak, which looked unnatural on me. I think hormones and heritages have something to do with these later changes.

DMARTINEZ
September 2nd, 2009, 09:54 PM
Yes,mine is more silver! ;) And more dry I think. Also, since Im heading into the meno yrs
Im getting a bit thinner.........:(

Deb

BranwenWolf
September 2nd, 2009, 09:57 PM
My mom spent most of her life curling/perming her board-straight hair. Now that she's going silver it's curling by itself! The gray hairs are curly.

She has the most amazing silvering pattern- awesome streaks from the crown of her head, incredible thick hair. But she won't grow it long. :(

spidermom
September 2nd, 2009, 10:12 PM
I used to have fairly straight hair, maybe 1B or 1C. As I've aged, it has developed waves and curls. My spiral curls are so loose that I didn't know I had them until my hair reached about APL. Prior to that, my hair looked very full and fluffy - big. But no curl. As an example (crazy makeup but natural, air-dried hair):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/BOONEW.jpg

heatherdazy
September 2nd, 2009, 11:22 PM
Imo, it's a hormone thing. I've seen major changes in the hair of people who've gotten pregnant or started going through menopause.

Once I even had a client whose hair went from 1b to 2a when she started taking bc pills. (kind of scary how drugs affect everything about us, actually...)

consarnit
September 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM
When I was a kid my hair was a substantially darker brown and had a lot of loose ringlets, now it has lightened up and straightened out. I still have waves, but they are no where near as defined. Which is weird, because most people seem to be going from light to dark and straight to curly.

Aditi
September 3rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
When i was a kid i had long hip length hair so i always kept my hairs in braid which led to permanent braid waves hair and when i came in college i cut them and went to APL that time the braid waves where still there but i never putted my hair in braids. Currently my hair is at waist length and whenever i oil i keep it in braid but now i don't get this braid waves anymore. My hair has started to loose waves i wonder if henna has something to do with it :hmm:

ademtce
September 3rd, 2009, 01:20 AM
my hair used to be have lots of loose curls and spirals on the ends, but now its more relaxed and seemingly growing in straighter. and just when i was really starting to love my curls. =/

Loreley
September 3rd, 2009, 01:34 AM
I'm 20 now but my hair has changed a few times. When I was 2 my hair was curly. One year later it was getting straighter and after that it was straight. Then, when I was 13 it was wavy. Now it's 2c/3a (if I typed it right). And it was always at least at mid back length. So what's next? I have no idea... :confused:

Monsterkitti
September 3rd, 2009, 02:27 AM
When I was really young my hair was jet black and poker straight (I had a mini hawk pretty much from birth :))

Then it went a chocolaty colour and curly and now since probably late teens its gone a lot darker but kept its curl.

DavidN
September 3rd, 2009, 03:03 AM
Besides getting a few more silvers as I have added on the years, my hair appears to be finer (and of course thinner as well), than it was when I was younger. It may also be slightly wavier as well, especially when the humidity is high.

Medievalmaniac
September 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
I would looooove it if the little ringlets that have appeared at the nape of my neck would just sort of scoot down the rest of my hair shafts too! But alas, they seem to be isolated where they are. I just noticed them yesterday when I was checking up on my updo, just chilling at the bottom of my hairline and running down my neck, lovely little ringlets. Ah, how much money I used to spend for such curls when I permed back in high school/college. Seeing them growing naturally like that was an unexpected delight, and if they want to multiply and spread, I'm totally OK with that... I think they are charming!

drquartz1970
September 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
I used to have coarse very curly hair in my teens and 20's. Over time it has gradually become less thick then before and of a finer texture. Also it is often more curly the shorter it is but when it gets longer it becomes less curly and more wavy.

Margeaux
September 3rd, 2009, 04:49 AM
Believe it or not, but up to age 13 I had poker straight 1a hair! I cut it into a short boy pixie at that age, and when it started to grow back it was the way it is now...magic? :P

meph
September 3rd, 2009, 06:04 AM
When I was younger my hair was strawberry blonde. Over time it has darkened a lot, and now it's ginger. I can't say I've noticed any difference in hair type though.

Vrushali
September 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
I had really fine straight hair as a child. Around the time I was 12-13 my hair became this big wavy-curly mess which would refuse to calm down. Now, its more of soft-ish curls but it does go funky on me sometimes!:rolleyes:

jivete
September 3rd, 2009, 07:47 AM
Besides color, I don't think my hair texture has changed much, if all. It is wavier, but I think that's because of better care not age.

rhubarbarin
September 3rd, 2009, 07:56 AM
I'm 24 and my hair hasn't changed since before puberty. I was a bald baby, had light blonde curls as a toddler, waves as far as I can tell as a child (my mom brushed my hair, so it might have been capable of curling) in the same color palette I do now, and I've had the exact same hair type I do now (which is different in patches on my head) since I was 13 or so. The color varies with sun exposure.

mira-chan
September 3rd, 2009, 07:57 AM
My hair changes from dark brown to chestnut during my teens and then back to dark chestnut at around 20 to now. My hair is currently growing in wavier, a s a child it was a 1c at most. It also changed from M to C in the last very years.

JamieLeigh
September 3rd, 2009, 07:58 AM
Mine has definitely changed. I think a lot of other factors have contributed other than just age, though. I always had really thick, stick-straight hair when I was a kid. And it was lighter, like maybe a honey-blondish-brown. Now I have thinner, finer, dark dark brown, wavy hair. Of course I've had five kids, several health problems and have switched to silicone-free hair products, all of which could have made this happen along with age. :cool:

Topaz
September 3rd, 2009, 08:45 AM
When I was a kid, my hair was the classic baby blonde color, and very thick. I don't know about the texture, or whether it was straight or curly, because my mother was a hair-abuser and she abused my hair from Day One (I just think there's something very very wrong about perming a 2-year olds hair --- or having a hair dresser with a razor thin out by half a 6 years old's hair --- and it only got worse the older I got!). :(

Anyway, once I got out of her clutches at around 20, my hair was still super thick, had darkened to more of a light golden blonde with baby blonde streaks, and was completely wash and wear in that I could wash it in any shampoo at all, use no conditioner (I didn't know about conditioners yet, my mother had forbade them) and still have lovely hair that waved beautifully with no frizz no matter what the weather was like. Thankfully, after suffering so many years of hair abuse, once I was on my own I never colored, permed, or used any heat on it. After 20 years of abuse, I'd had enough!

Once I hit my 40's, the wash and wear aspect changed. The color had gone to the classic "dishwater" blonde with no streaks, it was thinner, and it went frizzy no matter how I conditioned it or how nice I was to it. I bemoaned every having nice hair again.

Now, at 51, things are changing again. The "dishwater" shade has lightened (thanks to some silver coming in) and is actually acquiring a lot of red highlights (courtesy of my Irish blood) and it is turning curlier than it ever was before. I actually have spiral curls now after shampooing, but they smooth out into waves once I comb it out. And the frizz actually seems to be subsiding. Part of that might be that I've finally learned how to take proper care of my hair thanks to you lovely ladies here, but for the red-highlights and the curl I'm really crediting age and hormones.

So yes, I would say hair definitely changes at different points in our life.

Tess2319
September 3rd, 2009, 10:17 AM
My grey ones are coming in waaaay different from my other hair. My non-greys are 1a and M and the greys are coming in with significant curl and are much coarser.

Now I feel as if I have two people's hair on my head and am experimenting with hair routine that satisfies both. If I give the 1a's volume, the greys frizz out of control. If I manage to control the frizz, it's hard to keep the straight ones from looking tired.

I think going no cones has helped. I used to think cones were the only thing that would control the grey-frizz, but now I am oiling and everyone seems to be happy...

meowmeow
September 3rd, 2009, 11:04 AM
When I was really young my hair was jet black and poker straight (I had a mini hawk pretty much from birth :))

Then it went a chocolaty colour and curly and now since probably late teens its gone a lot darker but kept its curl.

That happened to me too, although my hair was a bit lighter as a kid and got darker when I got older :)

paintedmuse
September 3rd, 2009, 11:42 AM
I used to have 1b/M/iii blonde hair as a kid which slowly darkened into light-medium brown... then about 2-3 years ago it started to become wavier and a bit coarser. That process is still going on. Last winter I was at 1c/M/iii, then slowly became a 2a, but now? I think I might have to change my hairtype to a 2b, It's definitely looking wavier lately... maybe because I'm brushing it less?

GlennaGirl
September 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM
My hair has changed several times.

I had 1a, very straight hair until I was in my early 20s. Then all of a sudden it went slightly wavy; 1b or 1c, I'd estimate. (I didn't use hairtyping systems then, obviously.)

Then in my late 30s it went 1a again. I mean mondo beyond-o 1a. It was like...1a+.

Now I'm 42 and I have just noticed this past year that it's getting a wave again.

Reptilia
September 3rd, 2009, 02:43 PM
When I was younger my hair was like yours, stick straight! It was useless to try curling because it would never hold. Now at 22, it's still pretty straight, but just a bit more bend and I can curl it and will hold for at least a few hours.

Aeasa
September 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
My hair used to be light blonde and 1a/1b up until I was about 13, then the color started getting darker. In the last 5 years or so, I've gone from being 1b-ish to much, much wavier, and my hair is a darker blonde/light brown now, depending on sun exposure. I like the texture change a lot as I used to admire those with wavy/curly hair so, so much.

Laurel32
September 3rd, 2009, 04:51 PM
When I hit puberty my stick straight hair got some waves. :)

rags
September 3rd, 2009, 06:05 PM
When I had my daughter my ash blond hair darkened to a light brown and stayed that way. Then when I began the wonders of perimenopause a few years back :rolleyes: it got thinner and finer than ever.

I had always had 1a ++ hair, all my life. It never waved, never held a curl, nothing. If there is straighter than 1a, that was my hair. Due to the joys of menopause, my hair is now quite wavy at times! I even saw a spiral curl in it the other day after I washed it (right before I combed it out because, by gosh, I want my straight hair back!!)

Charlotte
September 3rd, 2009, 06:14 PM
Yep. I can say that my hair has definately become thinner over the past couple of years and I hope it doesn't go any more thinner! :rolleyes:

Tangles
September 3rd, 2009, 06:26 PM
My hair has always been on the wurly side, though depending on climate, water, etc. it can also look pretty straight when it wants to. I'm hoping with age I'll get more and more ringlets :)