PDA

View Full Version : Hate to beat a dead horse BUT about the swimming and hair thingie..

Curlsgirl
April 16th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I KNOW this has been asked a lot but I haven't paid that much attention and maybe it was on the old board. Anyway, I have begun to swim in a chlorinated pool at my gym for exercise. The only thing I have done in the past is to braid and then soak my hair in water from the shower before, then swim. Then I rinse really well after with plain water and apply some leave-in and oil.

Any other things I can do to help preserve my hair? Anyone know? Don't really want to wear a swim cap but if it would help a LOT I would.

BrianaFineHair
April 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
Aside from wearing a swim cap, I think you've got things covered.

Silcone caps are more gentle on the hair than latex. I really dislike latex caps. You could even wear a lycra cap first and then put the silcone on top of that one. I can tell you really don't want to wear a cap at all though. A lot of swimmers dislike all caps.

My kids are on a competitive swim team - it's such a great form of exercise.

yogachic
April 16th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Put some oil in Before you braid and swim. I always wash my hair after, I feel like just rinsing wouldn't get it out. Then when I wash my hair a few days later, I can still smell the chlorine when i shampoo.

BrianaFineHair
April 16th, 2008, 08:24 PM
You may want to find out if putting extra oil on your hair will be ok. Some pools are really funny about having oils (other than what's naturally on our body and hair)/lotions and then getting in the pool.

mommy101405
April 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Oscar Blandi makes a sun/ chlorine spray. I've never tried it but I am thinking about it for this summer since we belong to a pool.

Curlsgirl
April 16th, 2008, 08:32 PM
You may want to find out if putting extra oil on your hair will be ok. Some pools are really funny about having oils (other than what's naturally on our body and hair)/lotions and then getting in the pool.

Yeah I was reading another thread that I had missed before on this and someone was telling about using coconut oil because it didn't seem to change the water as much or something. I still feel funny about using it though. I guess I could use it on the braid tassel. That wouldn't be that much. After all, people use suntan oil all the time in the pool. That would be much more than I would use and mine would be pure coconut oil.

BrianaFineHair
April 16th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Yeah I was reading another thread that I had missed before on this and someone was telling about using coconut oil because it didn't seem to change the water as much or something. I still feel funny about using it though. I guess I could use it on the braid tassel. That wouldn't be that much. After all, people use suntan oil all the time in the pool. That would be much more than I would use and mine would be pure coconut oil.

You're right about your use of coconut oil being very minimal compared to all the sun tan lotions.

Have you ever seen signs at pools that say, "Shower before entering pool."? I asked my dh (who used to life guard) why and he said it was to try to get as much oil off your body as your could. :shrug:

I would not apply the oil in full view of people that work at the pool - just in case, you know? I say go for it with the coconut oil :) Like I said, it's minimal compared to sun tan oils, etc.

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 08:58 PM
I devised a system of swim caps that I found really helpful. I posted it earlier today here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=66558&postcount=31).

florenonite
April 17th, 2008, 02:55 AM
I would recommend you don't wear the oil, as it can get in the water. I'm a lifeguard, and the reason you have to shower before going in the pool is to get oils and any products (hair gels, conditioners, skin care products) off your skin before going in the pool, as they mix with something in the pool and that's what makes your eyes hurt (my chemistry's a bit rusty, haven't done it in two years, but that's the general gist of it).

Finoriel
April 17th, 2008, 04:55 AM
I think there are some different points to consider:
Wearing a swim cap would be the best solution. If your hair has no contact with the pool-water at all, there would be no need to rinse or wash afterwards. If you plan to swim every day I would recommend this.
If you donīt want to wear a swim cap, braiding or bunning (choose which works best) your hair will keep it from tangling wile swimming. Good choice, makes combing afterwards much easier and keeps long shed hairs out of the pool-water and filters.
If your hair is healthy and not porous it will not hold on the chlorine. Rinsing your hair with plain water afterwards should be fine and remove most of the chlorine. If there is anything left it should not be that harmful. As I see you plan to grow to waist length, the oldest tips should be about 4 years old by then, if you donīt have chemical treated or otherwise dry / porous hair itīs usually not that fragile at this time and wetting it while swimming should not cause problems. For longer = older hair this might get a problem.
Leaving on conditioner while swimming is ineffective itīs water soluble so the conditioner will not protect your hair, it will end up rinsed out in the pool water :shrug: and pool owners and other swimmers will not be happy about this. If I notice something like this in our pool I will send these people to the shower immediately. Itīs not funny to scrub off slimy grey residues containing dead skin cells mixed with oil off the pool walls and out of the filters. There are reasons why you should shower before you enter the pool, not only because of sweat or dirty feet :rolleyes: oil, sunscreen or conditioner build up on the walls of the pool, in the pipes and filters. They cause technical trouble and make it difficult to keep the water chemistry stable and hygienic. (Using conditioner out in the nature like lakes or in the sea, is even worse.)
I doubt that using oil is any better, the coating of it would have to be really hmm "sealing" to keep the water and chlorine out... and I think itīs more damaging to the hair if you coat it in oil before swimming and shampoo off the oil afterwards, than only wetting the hair and rinsing with clear water afterwards. Depends on if itīs necessary to wash your hair anyway or if washday would be 5 days away.
Not all pools use chlorine, there is a whole bunch of other methods. Ask them which system they use and how high the chlorine level is if they use is, before you start worrying about. Most pools are using much less chlorine than they used to do 10 or 20 years ago, so swimming is not that dangerous for skin and hair as it used to be.
:twocents:

Curlsgirl
April 17th, 2008, 05:52 AM
Wow thanks everyone! Very helpful info! I am looking into swim caps. I want my hair to be as healthy as possible. I do chemically color already, just to cover gray and only roots but still...I'm pretty sure I am going to get a swim cap, now it's just deciding what KIND. Wow those sun/swim protective sprays are expensive! Also I can't believe they wouldn't just be washed right off in the pool, also not good for the pool I believe even IF it did anything for the hair!

Curlsgirl
April 17th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I devised a system of swim caps that I found really helpful. I posted it earlier today here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=66558&postcount=31).

Do you pin the hair up in braids or pin at all or what? Also what about the bubble caps? Do you know anything about them or is that made of silicone too?

Riot Crrl
April 17th, 2008, 01:29 PM
Do you pin the hair up in braids or pin at all or what? Also what about the bubble caps? Do you know anything about them or is that made of silicone too?

No, I don't want to make any style that is "lumpy" and risk not being able to fit the silicone over it, or ripping the silicone. I try to just coil wet hair around my head, following the head shape as much as possible. No pins, no rubber bands. It's soaking wet so it will stay for a couple seconds while I cover it with the lycra.

I think the bubble caps are usually latex. I never used them because I'm skeptical of it keeping pool water out if it needs a chin strap to stay on. I used both the flat strapless latex and flat strapless silicone. I liked the silicone better, as long as a lycra one was underneath. Without that I hated both latex and silicone because of the pulling.

lora410
April 17th, 2008, 01:35 PM
I paid attention :p I plan to lightly oil my hair and wrap it up in a bun. I have scuba lessons and then two open dives in the next two weeks so I could care less if a little oil gets in the pool water. It's not like I am going to be saturated in oil. Hell maybe it will help peoples dry skin :lol:

Eireann
April 17th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I wear a lycra swim cap under my silicone swimcap. It keeps the silicone cap from tearing my hair. I put jojoba oil on my hair under the cap and put my (BSL) hair in a high ponytail and then pull it halfway through the hairband in a loop. After swimming, I shampoo with Ultraswim shampoo and then condition with my regular conditioner (garnier fructice), then light jojoba oil on damp hair. The swim cap doesn't keep my hair totally dry, so I still have to wash it out. I have yet to find a cap that keeps all my hair dry. My hair is only BSL at this point, so when it gets longer I might have more trouble with the cap, but Speedo does have caps especially for long hair that have extra room in the back.

tomm
April 17th, 2008, 02:14 PM
...I'm pretty sure I am going to get a swim cap, now it's just deciding what KIND.
Let me recommend the old-fashioned bubble (crepe) cap. It is far more comfortable for me than a silicone cap, and (because it does not tend to creep up) I find it seals better too.

If you are concerned about chlorine damage but don't want to shampoo after each session in the pool, try CO'ing with a conditioner that contains EDTA. I used this routine for over six months during which I was in the pool daily.

I hope this helps.

florenonite
April 18th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Let me recommend the old-fashioned bubble (crepe) cap. It is far more comfortable for me than a silicone cap, and (because it does not tend to creep up) I find it seals better too.

If you are concerned about chlorine damage but don't want to shampoo after each session in the pool, try CO'ing with a conditioner that contains EDTA. I used this routine for over six months during which I was in the pool daily.

I hope this helps.

I agree with the COing. I swam sometimes more than once daily over the summer and COed with a condish with EDTA and it worked great, and my hair usually has no patience for CO.

k_hepburn
April 18th, 2008, 05:21 AM
For me, size is a real problem when it comes to swimming caps. I have quite a large had to start off with, add the hair to that and pulling on a swimming cap becomes quite torturous. Contrary to what some others have found, for me silicone caps are worse, since they tend to be stiffer, less stretchable than latex caps.

I remember that in a thread we had a while ago someone mentionned XXL swimming caps called "volume caps" made by Speedo for people with long hair.

Greetings

katharine

Eireann
April 18th, 2008, 06:56 AM
Can you recommend a conditioner with EDTA? I love swimming and it's great for every part of me EXCEPT my hair, and one of the things that keeps me from going more often is I prefer not to shampoo every day. Thanks. I'm new to LHC and I'm learning so much! (The biggest lesson is patience! The last time I had very long hair, I started at birth and grew it until I was 20. That was a little easier!):)

florenonite
April 18th, 2008, 07:02 AM
Can you recommend a conditioner with EDTA? I love swimming and it's great for every part of me EXCEPT my hair, and one of the things that keeps me from going more often is I prefer not to shampoo every day. Thanks. I'm new to LHC and I'm learning so much! (The biggest lesson is patience! The last time I had very long hair, I started at birth and grew it until I was 20. That was a little easier!):)

I used one of the White Rain ones, I can't remember which. I think it was one that said 'for body and volume' or something, because I wanted a nice light one.

catfish
April 18th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Another vote for CO here. I have waist length hair thats in the pool daily, all I do is shower, braid, swim, rinse with diluted CO. I NEVER put anything in my hair except water. (I used to put oil/conditioner in my hair first but my pool now has a shower first rule and my hair hasn't changed) I think any conditioner would work but for me it's important to dilute the condish with Distilled water. Works great.:D

Kirin
April 18th, 2008, 02:35 PM
What you are doing seems fine. if you are worried about any excess chemicals hanging around after a swim you can try a swimmers shampoo, or if not into the shampoo thing, try a light conditioner afterward.

Do NOT use oils, sealants, leave ins or anything else when going into a pool. there are two reasons for this:

the first most known reason, some of these things can truly mess up filters and systems in pools.

Second: Would you be thrilled swimming in a pool that has an oil slick over it? You may not see it, but over time its likely there. I've seen this in some public pools, people with pomades, hair gels, hairsprays, oils, sheens, anti-perspirants, ugh!

If you use the same pool over and over, realize over time, you'll be swimming in your own hair oil. Think about the others oiling using it too. Pools arent drained, they are filtered, and those filters dont take out residues.

khyricat
April 18th, 2008, 02:39 PM
BTW- I'd rather natural oils than the mess that does wind up in pools, and small bodies of water (I used to swim in a quarry).. I am alergic to something in sunblocks (not used as much anymore- PABA), and I can remember having a severe reaction after going for a swim when I hadn't put anything on myself... there were certain pools I never went back to because of that...

Amie

Mishka_84
April 18th, 2008, 03:10 PM
Another word about allergies:
Latex and Lycra caps could also cause allergic reactions for other swimmers; if you come into close quarter with many other swimmers you might want to consider this as well.

I have a latex allergy, and cannot even come close to latex without breaking out into a (very uncomfortable) rash, with mild asthma also. Skin contact to lycra does the same thing. So be cautious if you are around alot of other people.

As for myself when swimming, I just make sure to braid my hair back and wash well afterwords, with an acv rinse also.

Gemma
April 19th, 2008, 03:52 AM
Something pertaining to oil and pools has occurred to me recently:

If you don't wash your hair for longer than usual, your scalp is going to get greasy with natural oil/sebum. Now, depending on how much oil you personally produce, that can be quite a substantial amount (my hair gets SO greasy if I don't wash for a week, for instance), and residue will accumulate the longer you refrain from washing.

Applying a light, absorbent oil (like coconut) the day before a swim, just enough to be absorbed into the hair shaft, is unlikely to result in any more oil in the water than if you simply hadn't washed in a really long time. And, from the point of view of pool maintenance, all oil is created equal since it's ALL insoluble in water.

I definitely do not recommend slathering on conditioner before a swim, or any oil that coats the hair instead of being absorbed, and rinsing off body lotion is always a good idea. But, otherwise, I think a smidge of oil the day before is just fine. Particularly if you rinse before entering the pool; that way, any oil residue remaining on your hair will be rinsed off. And getting into the habit of showering right before stepping into the pool will endear you to the owners thereof.

A decently maintained pool should also be carefully topping up and monitoring chemical levels to keep the pool as clean and hygienic as possible. A lot of oils and fluids end up in your pool. Take for instance little children: I've actually heard parents encouraging them to just pee in the pool, and I'm sure very small kids who are still being potty-trained are happy to just go. Does that mean urine is slowly building up in the pool until you're pretty much swimming in it? Not if the pool is maintained properly. Similarly, a lot of people do not shower before stepping into the pool, and are therefore transporting their deodorant, perfume, and body lotion into the pool.

A certain level of consideration and mindfulness is always appropriate, but as long as you're not slathering on the oil and remembering to rinse, I can't foresee much of a problem.