PDA

View Full Version : is this amount of damage normal?

freckles
September 2nd, 2009, 05:17 AM
Hi LHC-ers, you've been incredibly helpful in the month I've been here, and I just wanted to ask your opinion on what exactly my hair is doing.
It seems like EVERY hair on my head is a split - that might be a slight exaggeration, but honestly not by much. Worse than that, in many cases the splits are up to 3 or 4 inches from the bottom of the hair! Most of my longest hairs end in a white dot, which I guess indicates they've broken off? Now, before I joined LHC and did some S&D, scissors hadn't touched my hair at all in over two years - so maybe this amount of split ends is normal? I would like to know how many split ends the non-trimmers here experience so I can either be reassured or more worried :p However, I'm super worried about the breakage and splits further up the length of my hair. I don't know whether to S&D it out, or whether to leave it. And I don't know why it is happening so much!
I haven't been the best at taking care of my hair before I joined LHC, but I think I've been fairly clear of some of the worst hair 'sins'. My hair is its virgin colour all the way down, the last time I dyed was 5 or 6 years ago. I've straightened or curled a handful of times in my life. I used to blowdry before LHC (maybe once every two weeks) and brush fairly harshly, and oftentimes didn't use conditioner when washing - could any of these things have caused damage to THIS extent? I just really want to feel that I am capable of long, undamaged hair, but the amount of damage in my hair right now is really getting me down and making me feel that long hair on me will always be ugly :( My hair is SUPER fine, do any other fine-haired LHC-ers have this problem? :(

Sorry for long, whiny post. I could do with some advice or some kind words :)

oogie
September 2nd, 2009, 05:19 AM
*awaits an answer too*

swanns
September 2nd, 2009, 05:24 AM
Our hairtypes are completely different, but I have the same problem too :( My splits aren't that long, but I have a white dot at the end of almost every single strand. Even some of the hairs that are just about four inches long are split! I've been nice to my hair for over a year now but I don't really see any change - I realise the old damage is still there but I just seem to be getting more and more.

I've just come to the conclusion this is how my hair is and I'll just have to live with it. Not everyone can have the split-free healthy locks no matter how good care they take of their hair. Or that's what I keep telling myself to try and make myself feel a bit better about it.

spidermom
September 2nd, 2009, 06:46 AM
Mine splits and breaks pretty easily. I have it trimmed and do a little S&D as well to keep the breakage from spreading, both of which help tremendously. I went for one year without trimming, and my ends were looking pretty raggy; I didn't like that.

Nera
September 2nd, 2009, 07:17 AM
My hair has always been like that. It can be really frustrating: one week after a good trim, the splits have returned! I've tried so many things, I guess since my 12th, but nothing worked.
So now I just deal with them and take care of them really well.!

Gulbahar
September 2nd, 2009, 07:25 AM
My hair is in a very good condition over all. But I always have splits, tons of them. They don't even occur on the longest hairs, but on the shorter ones.
I think it is just my hairtype and I have to live with that. Fortunately it is not noticable for others.

Heidi_234
September 2nd, 2009, 07:46 AM
Did you heatstyle or generally handles your hair roughly before LHC?
When I had bangs I used to heatstyle them everyday. Back at the days the ends were just fine (and I regularly cut them anyway because bangs tend to grow out too fast when you wish to maintain them), but now, almost a year later, of very tender LHC caring treatment the ends are just plain awful. They constantly split, they are feeling like velcro and rough to the touch. Years ago, when I was dyeing my hair with chemical dyes, every single hair on my head had a split end (no kidding!).
It's normal to start seeing the results of the damage done long time after. I don't know what you subjected your hair to prior LHC, but if you did, it will explain the massive splitting. For all you car, I still got many splits all over, but I feel that their numbers are decreasing with good care, trimmings and S&Ds.

SimplyViki
September 2nd, 2009, 08:13 AM
I think it's probably normal, there are soooo many things that can cause damage, even if you're not doing the big "no-nos" like heat styling or dying. My hair is still growing out some old highlights/dying, so I have persistent splitting too. Yours could be due to the occasional heat-styling, or the not-so-gentle brushing, or even just leaving your hair down and then, say, leaning back against the backseat of the car, or your chair at work, or any number of things.

Now, how to fix it? Sometimes, I think S&Ding is discouraging, so I've been trying to tackle the problem from two angles, trimming and S&D. A half inch trim is a good head start on the splits. I give myself a trim every so often, I don't have a rigid schedule, but I'd say every 3 months or so is about what I do. As for S&D, I carry a pair of haircutting shears in a flat pocket of my purse. That way, when I see a huge split, or a bunch of splits altogether, I can take care of it right then and there, where ever I am.

Hang in there! I think it'll get better. You might not ever get rid of splits altogether (but who knows?), but I think you can minimize the amount over time.

And one of these days, you and I both should give those catnip tea rinses a try. :cool: Those seem pretty nifty.

freckles
September 2nd, 2009, 08:25 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel the damage may well me due to having my hair down all the time pre-LHC, trapping it under my bag strap, etc, but if it's really just due to HANDLING - I want to enjoy my hair and I don't know if I would enjoy long hair if I had to restrict myself from wearing it down, touching it, etc. In October I am going to do a month of updos though, to try and get myself used to the idea.
The problem with trimming for me is that, there is a lot of taper in my hair, and splits high up the hair, so I really don't feel as if I could 'trim' the splits out without taking 6 or 7 inches! :o I can't bring myself to do that - although I am planning a smaller trim soon.
SimplyViki - what a co-incidence! I was reading the catnip thread while you were writing your reply! I definitely want to give it a try.

SimplyViki
September 2nd, 2009, 08:30 AM
Thanks everyone. I feel the damage may well me due to having my hair down all the time pre-LHC, trapping it under my bag strap, etc, but if it's really just due to HANDLING - I want to enjoy my hair and I don't know if I would enjoy long hair if I had to restrict myself from wearing it down, touching it, etc. In October I am going to do a month of updos though, to try and get myself used to the idea.
The problem with trimming for me is that, there is a lot of taper in my hair, and splits high up the hair, so I really don't feel as if I could 'trim' the splits out without taking 6 or 7 inches! :o I can't bring myself to do that - although I am planning a smaller trim soon.
SimplyViki - what a co-incidence! I was reading the catnip thread while you were writing your reply! I definitely want to give it a try.
Oh yes, I know what you mean about splits higher up in the hair. A little trim definitely won't completely get rid of the splits, probably won't even get out the majority. But it's likely to remove a bunch of them, at least somewhat more than an S&D. Usually it helps me feel better about my hair even though there are still plenty of splits present higher up in the hair.

Sheltie_Momma
September 2nd, 2009, 11:22 AM
My hair is prone to splitting, I can remember as early as 3rd grade looking at my ends in class and seeing splits. I know that one time I had them on nearly every hair and I traced it back to a haircut at a really cheap place; I truly think that her scissors were dull and that she sort of hacked her way through my hair leaving each cut hair very ragged. I know the blade on the lawnmover will do this - you can actually see that the cuts on each blade of grass are very ragged when the blade needs sharpening, so maybe it happens with hair too.

dolcevita
September 2nd, 2009, 11:31 AM
My hair is very delicate and will use any excuse it gets to split or look damaged. I do microtrims but even by the next day, there are splits returning. I also have white dots on almost all the strands. It's discouraging because I stopped heat styling my unruly wavy hair in an effort to curb the splits when I joined LHC, but I still have the same ends despite S&Ds and small, regular trims. Makes it look like it's growing so slow, when I know it's not (by looking at how long my bangs have grown in just a couple months). Stopping the heat-styling thickened up my hair a bit and gave me some new growth around the crown (because I'm not pulling with a round brush anymore!) so I'm still motivated to not do it!

Catnip is supposed to help, but I'm not sure if I've noticed anything with it, but I haven't used it regularly enough anyways. Also, I'm using Redken's Anti-Snap which is supposed to help.

Mainly, I've just accepted it as an idiosyncrasy of my hair type and move on to other things to worry about!

elaineflowers
September 2nd, 2009, 11:51 AM
I know what you mean, fine hair like ours always have loads of split ends...
hang in there and just do your best and enjoy your hair.
xxxxxxxxxxx

Tess2319
September 2nd, 2009, 12:29 PM
For freckles and others who have very fragile hair, I was wondering if you have explored what you are putting into your body as well as what you put on your hair?

I had a lot of splits when I was younger, but have pretty durable hair now without split ends. I know that I take better care of my body now than when I was younger: better nutrition, less stress, more sleep, less alcohol, less caffeine. I wouldn't be surprised if this were reflected in my hair health.

Not that what you eat now will improve the hair you already have, but being healthier might make new hair stronger?

Not trying to be on a soapbox, just throwing out ideas.

rach
September 2nd, 2009, 01:42 PM
splits on each hair. yep, that sounded familiar when i came here in desperation and i wanted some extra henna advice.
i've changed my whole routine, changed how i brush my hair, tried so what may sound weird stuff. catnip has been a massive help to. actually did a S&D last night and hardly anything and i'm over the moon because i had got to a point were by i just stalled growing. you just need to find what's right for you and your hair.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 2nd, 2009, 01:52 PM
I think because most of my hairs are fine and I have the wavy/curly thing too it's sort of routine for me.. I will S&D (when I think of it lol) and spend a while doing it while I check LHC lol. I snip off anything that looks damaged.. I usually find quite a few but I find more non-splits than the other way around :) I think that's progress since I still abuse my hair quite a bit. I bleach (highlights 1-2 times a year) and I chemically dye.

I've just come to the conclusion that because I have so many fine hairs and I am still damaging them from time to time.. I have to spend a little more time pampering my strands.. so I do catnip soaks (to help with the splits), moisture treatments, some protein treatments (though not many my hair doesn't like them), and oil, oil, oil! I've turned to Nightshade's henna & cassia mix as well to help strengthen my strands. I think two treatments is a bit early to say how much it's helped but it has pumped my ponytail quite a bit! :)

:flower: just keep at it, and baby the heck out of your hair and they will become less and less.

*edit* and if you wanna see my horrible icky before LHC hair, check out my album. It was FULL of splits, it broke off, and felt like cotton candy!! so I know LHC can help you :) I've been there!!

Demetrue
September 2nd, 2009, 03:17 PM
Harsh brushing can really damage hair and if you brushed your hair when it was wet and not conditioned, that could certainly contribute to creating split ends.

Honey39
September 2nd, 2009, 03:23 PM
My hair stopped splitting when I stopped brushing it (and heat styling as well!). But brushing and combing are horrible on my hair - I just combed out my dry hair, and I could hear it snapping and breaking, whereas normally it never is too split. I dye my hair (highlights) every four months too, so it's not perfect. But no heat, no brushing, and loads of conditioner and oils have really reduced splitting for me.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 2nd, 2009, 03:24 PM
BBB's are murder for my hair, once I stopped using that, moved on to wide tooth combs (one wood, one plastic) and a baby brush for times when I need to smooth oil or smooth hairs down for updo's, my splits got better. But I do really think the catnip thread might be a great help to you!

Nightshade
September 2nd, 2009, 03:31 PM
I managed to grow out shattered, all-split BSL hair to Classic :)

There's some good info on how I did it in the damage hair article in my siggy!

spidermom
September 2nd, 2009, 03:54 PM
I know that trimming can't get rid of the splits hiding higher in the length, unless it's a big trim (and I've done those, too). My philosophy is that trimming gives a nice "finish" to my hair so that it doesn't look raggedy even though there are still splits, also I do my best to take care of my hair so that damage doesn't get worse, and those shorter split/damaged hairs keep growing and eventually get long enough to get removed in a small trim.

Untangling causes split ends. I've been looking right at a tangle as I worked it free and saw ends splitting from being pulled in opposite directions. Everybody gets tangles, pretty much. I'm leaving a little room for exceptions, but I think they're likely to have much shorter (and thus younger) hair than I do.

Speckla
September 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
I have some broken pieces and some that were mishandled but my hair overall looks ok so I don't worry to much about it. As long as my hair is gaining overall length and looks healthy it isn't a big deal.

vindo
September 2nd, 2009, 07:17 PM
Your damage is higher than average and youre right that something needs to change.

I used to blowdry before LHC (maybe once every two weeks) and brush fairly harshly, and oftentimes didn't use conditioner when washing - could any of these things have caused damage to THIS extent? I just really want to feel that I am capable of long, undamaged hair, but the amount of damage in my hair right now is really getting me down and making me feel that long hair on me will always be ugly :( My hair is SUPER fine, do any other fine-haired LHC-ers have this problem

Often very fine hair is more prone to mechanical damage than to anything else. The fact that you stopped doing those things will help on the long run.

Fine hair should get the most gentle treatment..(actually any hair benefits from that but for fine hair its a must).

So your goal should be to preserve its condition.
For doing that it is advisable to use a shampoo with an ultra mild detergent, maybe even a soap bar.
I have reviewed many shampoo brands to find the ones with the most gentle and moisturizing ingredients. Which are - Earthly Delight, Aubrey Organics, Soap Bars.

On the german web I consult people with hair problems and they document progress on my website under "Journey to Long Hair", everyone is madly in love with Earthly Delight which I have long praised as my all time favorite.
Its a relatively unpopular "home brand". Wheather it is ED or AO, neither of their conditioners have cones. Just plenty of moisturizing oils.

By cleansing with milder products you will preserve the hairs texture in a better state, imagine it as if you would wash a delicate piece of fabric..you don't use harsh detergents on that either.

Also - washing less often makes THAT much of a difference. Granted, it takes patience and time for hair to adjust and not look so greasy, but every wash techincally is "torture" for your hair. It would rather not want to be washed at all.
Of course some will say: "I wash daily and my hair is well"...and then I will say: I did that too, my hair was well when washed daily, but it went amazing when washed weekly." For fine or more delicate hair it should really be of big help.

Aside from that, LHC teaches you many things like careful handling, a gentle sleeping hairstyle, wearing it up..which of course should be followed too.

Btw. do you use oils? A good hair oil is essential. Applly it to your dry hair, just a bit at a time. This is the best way to moisturize your hair.

S&D will help keeping the splits at bay, if your hair thins out easily you should also develop a growing plan that includes regular small trims, so your hair does not completely thin out before you reach your goal.

Of course you will receive much different advice here, but if you want to go that route and have any more questions, feel free to ask :flower:

freckles
September 3rd, 2009, 04:47 AM
thanks everyone for your reassurance and advice! Emichiee, you have been especially helpful! I don't know if the brands you mentioned are available in the UK (and I would have to check if they are vegan) but today I am switching my shampoo and conditioner to a natural no-cone brand I have been eyeing up. Is there any way to tell what has a 'mild' detergent, from the ingredients list?
I have always, even pre-LHC, washed 2 or 3 times a week. I'll try to cut that down to always 2, rather than 3, and then see if I can make the trying switch from twice a week to once.

I have more optimism, guys, thank you all! :D

Anje
September 3rd, 2009, 06:53 AM
My hair has always been like that. It can be really frustrating: one week after a good trim, the splits have returned! I've tried so many things, I guess since my 12th, but nothing worked.
So now I just deal with them and take care of them really well.!
Some splitting is normal, especially for fine hair, but if you're splitting everywhere right after a trim, it indicates that it was probably done with dull scissors (or a razor :eek:).

hennaphile
September 3rd, 2009, 07:00 AM
I hardly get splits (even though I saw more after S&D, maybe I was just seeing things). Even though I don't have a lot of hair (anymore, boo), my individual hairs are coarse and robust. However, I can tell you what I do and don't do that seems to keep it happy.

-Condition daily. I've gone a day without conditioner before, NOT pretty
-Lightly oil with coconut oil, sometimes camellia
-NO HEAT-- I'm sure some people do just fine, but I don't own a drier or iron.
-Henna and Cassia often. This is probably one of the biggest ones, cassia may be the best $3 you spend in your life.
-use quality, gentle products
-take vitamins (I don't know whether or not this works, I've tried it and didn't notice a difference, but it can't hurt :) )

Finally, check out ktani's article on catnip and slit ends, she's a goddess :D

Hope your hair gets better :)

vindo
September 3rd, 2009, 10:25 PM
thanks everyone for your reassurance and advice! Emichiee, you have been especially helpful! I don't know if the brands you mentioned are available in the UK (and I would have to check if they are vegan) but today I am switching my shampoo and conditioner to a natural no-cone brand I have been eyeing up. Is there any way to tell what has a 'mild' detergent, from the ingredients list?
I have always, even pre-LHC, washed 2 or 3 times a week. I'll try to cut that down to always 2, rather than 3, and then see if I can make the trying switch from twice a week to once.

I have more optimism, guys, thank you all! :D

Both brands are vegan and Aubrey is available in the UK they also have a wide range of products. Inci like - wheat germ soap, castile soap, coconut oil soap, coco glucoside or any other soaps made from oils are among the mildest. If you want to double check Inci send them to me ;).
Good thing you stretch washing already, everytime you wash the hair swells and gets soaked with water in that state it is more fragile and drying can take some moisture away. Also shampoo and even water has a pH higher than hair and really messes with its balance, so very diluted acv rinses are also a good thought, it also closes the cuticles tightly= more shine and less chance of the cuticles breaking off.

ManeSqueeze
February 7th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I think it's normal. I have super fine hair that is super light and billows behind me in the barest of winds, but unfortunately the barest of winds also gives me loads of breakage. I have mostly virgin hair (I have a small amount that is stained a color, but it's almost gone now), and I've never used heat on my hair except for when visiting a friend or a barber. I've tried microtrims and S&Ds before, but like you, I look back at my hair and I swear it splits as I hold it up to the sun to see how the trim went.

I've found that having hair in a semi-loose bun with a hairstick is the best way for combating splits. I can't do tight buns, ponies, braids, or rope braids, because my hair either breaks from the tension or the ends stick out and break from being exposed. A parandi put in with care to hide most ends works pretty alright, but you'll have to make your own, because I've found that most commercial ones are waaaay too thick in fine thin hair and makes the braid look very odd.

When you're hair is super soft and fine naturally, it will never be very strong. Just remember all the compliments about how pretty, shiny, and soft you get for your hair when you look close at the hundreds of split ends. Nobody notices them except for yourself. Don't stress about it. Stress impedes hair growth :P

Tini'sNewHair
February 7th, 2014, 02:08 PM
I dont have any other advice to add on top of what everyone said because they said it all.

Just to back everyone else up tho, I do believe that your hair is fragile and needs gentle care as mentioned. My hair hasnt had a trim AT ALL since May 2012 when I did a huge chop from waist to just above shoulders so i could start fresh again.... I joined LHC when my hair was just reaching BSL and even tho I only used heat a couple of time my hair was in a crappy condition once again (it was rough, super greasy even on daily washes, dandruff, terrible ponytail damage etc.) - I had splits but not as much as you and definitely nun going up the strands like that, once i joined this site a month or two later at a solid BSL i started to do S&D and I have been doing continuing with it religiously, my hair now is getting very close to waist and I hardly have any split ends, and i mean its very very tricky to find a strand that needs to be fixed so im very happy BUT i still need a trim because my ends are starting to look pretty wispy.

I also had to change my whole routine when i joined this site and my hair is like silk now, its amazing!!!! So do your changes and dont be afraid to experiment so you can find out what your hair really needs. Good luck. (and keep reading tips on everything on this site and fill up your bucket of knowledge!)

Tini'sNewHair
February 7th, 2014, 02:09 PM
sorry double post

ositarosita
February 7th, 2014, 02:17 PM
I'm sorry i'm really of no help here.. my hair doesn't really split. I can go a year no trims and have a total of 3 splits. I vote on the friction damage though. If it were me I wouldn't S&D I would rather just chop the damage and have a fresh start.

jacqueline101
February 7th, 2014, 02:44 PM
In general fine hair types split easier then thick courser hairs. If it's been awhile since you've trimmed or done some routine s&d. I'd try looking at your hair in terms of would a trim, dusting or s&d would be practical. If it's real bad trim, not so bad dusting, very little damage s&d. If you need help on self trim there is feye self trim there is a page for the different ways to do this do to your hem line,s&d method I like is part your hair into sections and examine the ends for splits, bent or white dots. White dots are future splits. You stated you've shears make sure they're sharp before you start. Dusting I'd use the feye method but cut a fourth of the amount.

furnival
February 7th, 2014, 03:21 PM
This thread is five years old. Looking at her profile, the OP has not been active on this forum since March of last year.

Tini'sNewHair
February 7th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Ahhh thats annoying, how did you find this thread again ositarosita because you are the first to bring it back up - such an old thread... I didnt even look at the date. Ah well, hopefully someone new will be able to find some things in here useful.

This thread is five years old. Looking at her profile, the OP has not been active on this forum since March of last year.