PDA

View Full Version : I attempted a Gibson Pompadour...

LittleOrca
September 2nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
... and I only half succeeded. I love this style and the look of it, though it may not lend itself nicely to my fashion just yet (I think I need to lose a little more weight, but that is just me. ;) )

Anyways, it came out... alright... The front looks fantastic but the back still needs some work. :rolleyes: I know there are a few ways to do this (or at least I assume there are, I know of at least one other), but this is more entertaining. Failure always is. lol Enjoy my video!

The Gibson Pompadour (sort of) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M77hqKdnQf8)

(My sister just saw me wearing it and declared I look like a cupcake, lol!)

Nouveaux
September 2nd, 2009, 01:21 AM
Hehe, that was fun to watch. I think it looked really cute, though, especially when only the front part was up (Kind of makes a nice half-up, that style). You have such thick, shiny hair, I'm completely envious! I was watching the video and at the part where you were combing the front section I was like "Auh, that must be iii", and paused the video to check. I was right, heh.

I think it was a really good try, I can't really imagine trying to do it myself (a simple bun I have to really try at to get it to stay as it is), you'll probably have it down in no time!

Sha-na-na
September 2nd, 2009, 01:58 AM
Good music choice too!

Ruvie
September 2nd, 2009, 02:37 AM
I love the music, and your bathroom (i think its the bathroom) is cute. I like the stars :) Nice hairdo, by the way :D

Medievalmaniac
September 2nd, 2009, 03:29 AM
I think you did a great job! And I love how you edit your video with the little bubble comments, too funny. :)

Chibbylick
September 2nd, 2009, 04:09 AM
great video, can't wait until my hair is long enough to try this!
Chibby

Speckla
September 2nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
I think she said cupcake because she meant you look sweet. I like it!

SimplyLonghair
September 2nd, 2009, 04:51 AM
It looked pretty LO, I think that it is a style that suits you, you just need to get more comfortable with it. It took me some time before I could do it at all. lol
Just smile, because you rock! :rockerdud

Little_Bird
September 2nd, 2009, 06:02 AM
I think you did a great job actually! Good going! It's a pretty do :)

oogie
September 2nd, 2009, 06:11 AM
OMG thank you!!! I had NO idea how to do this style and you showed how to do it just perfectly for me. Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

:flower:

halo_tightens
September 2nd, 2009, 06:35 AM
OMG thank you!!! I had NO idea how to do this style and you showed how to do it just perfectly for me. Thank you thank you thank you thank you!!

:flower:

I agree-- your demonstration made it all make sense. I don't have the hair for it quite yet, but one of these days I'll be driving myself up the wall trying to perfect this one too!

hennared
September 2nd, 2009, 06:41 AM
I think that style looks great on you! But then, I tend to love 'poofy' updo's, anyway.
I think it might be extra nice with a few bits of long side bangs hanging out to frame the face, but it looks like your hair is all one length? At any rate, good job, I like it!

csm--carla
September 2nd, 2009, 07:05 AM
WoW! I had no idea how to do this elegant style.

This is something I may try in the future.

Loved your added comments and music! :drama:

Thanks so much for sharing this.

Carla:cheer::cheer::cheer:

JamieLeigh
September 2nd, 2009, 07:41 AM
Nice one!! Thanks for sharing. I think you did an awesome job - better than I could do, certainly. I'm such a klutz with hair. :o

I don't think your weight would have anything to do with this style looking nice on you. I think it's more of a clothing style thing, than a weight thing...it's a very dressy, skirt-y hairstyle. It does look very good with your face, imho. :flower:

Ryanne
September 2nd, 2009, 07:48 AM
I think the style suits you, it's a lovely one. Also, your starry wall is pretty.

LittleOrca
September 2nd, 2009, 09:47 AM
You are all too nice. :D The back of the style still bothers me, and I felt a little like a goof posting the video without it being 100% perfect, or at least 80% perfect, so that is where the bubbles came in to let viewers know what it should look like versus what it really looked like. lol :lol: The back is the part that bothers me so much. I am going to practice it some more later so long as I have nothing to do this afternoon and my family doesn't mind that I hog the upstairs bathroom. :o

LittleOrca
September 2nd, 2009, 09:50 AM
Good music choice too!

Thanks! It's Moonlight Sonata as I am sure most of you figured out. The catch it is it played in the Luray Caverns in Virginia by having small hammers hit different stalactite on the top of the cave that each have a different tone when struck. It was awesome to be there and hear it in person. :D

Sherri
September 2nd, 2009, 10:03 AM
Great job. I thought it look really nice. The only thing I might have done differntly is pinned the back piece up into where the bun was on the top of your head. Other than that I really liked it:)

SimplyViki
September 2nd, 2009, 10:05 AM
Thanks! It's Moonlight Sonata as I am sure most of you figured out. The catch it is it played in the Luray Caverns in Virginia by having small hammers hit different stalactite on the top of the cave that each have a different tone when struck. It was awesome to be there and hear it in person. :D
Wow, really? That sounds really cool, you've just persuaded me to turn the sound on. :p Usually I watch videos in silent because I'm at work. I love Moonlight Sonata.

Oh, and I just had to mention, your little shrug at the end was totally adorable. :)

LaFlor
September 2nd, 2009, 10:08 AM
It definitely looks like something that would take a lot of practice, you'll get it down soon.

It made me think of so many old movies and pictures I've seen.

I wonder if there is a way to make this more modern? I think it might look strange with my modern clothes and style. I love the idea though.

LittleOrca
September 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM
It definitely looks like something that would take a lot of practice, you'll get it down soon.

It made me think of so many old movies and pictures I've seen.

I wonder if there is a way to make this more modern? I think it might look strange with my modern clothes and style. I love the idea though.

Tammysue (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=27), I just discovered, wears a style like this. It's a little less poofy to keep it 'modern' and it looks great on her.

halo_tightens
September 2nd, 2009, 10:40 AM

Wow.

I recognized the song right away, and I was trying to figure out what kind of crazy effect had been used to give it that eerie, watery sound... The truth turned out to be SO much cooler than anything I could have dreamed up. I never knew such a thing had been done-- but the result is quite moving.

eresh
September 2nd, 2009, 01:53 PM
Nice video!
I like the face you made in the end hihi

Only the music, Beethoven's Mondscheinsonate, I find that rather depressing and sad. Your hairdo deserves something happy!
But that's my personal opinion (music highly affects my moods)

flyfaraway
September 2nd, 2009, 04:01 PM
I am so very jealous of your beautiful locks,
and I am just fascinated with hairstyles from the past.
I can't wait until mine is long enough to actually do something with it. :D

Fiferstone
September 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
TOO cool, the twist in the front, that was a total "AHA!" moment for me. Thanks for doing this, I'll soon be driving myself nuts with it as well : )

pepperminttea
September 2nd, 2009, 06:15 PM
I had always wondered how this style was done - thank you! :)

Teazel
September 2nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
It looks really good on you, LittleOrca. :) I must give this style another try!

verene
September 2nd, 2009, 07:15 PM
Cool!

I also went and looked at some of your other vids, and now I want to try the "stardust" hairstyle you have posted. :-)

Lady Mary
September 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
I always wondered how they did that! Thank you for that video, I'm no good at reading explanations of how to, seeing it for myself cleared that up. Very cute look too :flower:

Ven
September 2nd, 2009, 08:54 PM
Thank you for sharing the video. I will be re-playing it and trying it out myself. You have such expressive eyes! Too adorable for words!

Thanks again,
~Ven

LittleOrca
September 2nd, 2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks everyone! I am going to try again later tonight once the family is asleep and they dont mind me stand in the bathroom for 3 hours. :D

Juneii
September 2nd, 2009, 09:32 PM
you are so pretty LittleOrca :] and that's a cute style... in it own way. dunno if I can pull it off as an every day thing but I definitely want to wear that when I'm older.

LittleOrca
September 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
Update: I tried it again and the bun looks better, but the hair is being a brat. :( I will give it another shot tomorrow after my swim and shower and my hair dries.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 3rd, 2009, 11:14 PM
You look fantastic with this style!! :flowers: I'll have to give this a try.

longhairedfairy
September 4th, 2009, 06:08 AM
(My sister just saw me wearing it and declared I look like a cupcake, lol!)
Or a mushroom! (Just teasing!) Seriously, I really like it and keep meaning to try this style. Thanks for the demo!:cheese:
Is it comfortable?

longhairedfairy
September 4th, 2009, 06:11 AM
Wow.

I recognized the song right away, and I was trying to figure out what kind of crazy effect had been used to give it that eerie, watery sound... The truth turned out to be SO much cooler than anything I could have dreamed up. I never knew such a thing had been done-- but the result is quite moving.
That had such a neat effect! Where can you buy this version?

ETA:

Oh, and I just had to mention, your little shrug at the end was totally adorable.
Yeah, I really liked that part. It was too cute!

taliarose
September 4th, 2009, 06:28 AM
First your hair is gorgeous! I can't believe you spend as much time as you say you do do in a pool.

Second the style looks really nice on you. Now I'm thinking of trying it out. He he he.

lambhair
September 4th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Very cool! It looks quite romantic and Edwardian...and you do it well.:)

Sheltie_Momma
September 4th, 2009, 10:26 AM
Thank you - this helps me so much, and it is so encouraging to see that not everyone gets it perfect right away, perfection is intimidating as heck, this way is more approachable to me! Your thought bubbles were cracking me up, you are beautiful and funny too.

Kiraela
September 4th, 2009, 12:06 PM
That was really cute. I think it looked good on you even if the back was (supposedly) a little off.

Where on earth can I get the music?? I love it!

LittleOrca
September 4th, 2009, 12:44 PM
Is it comfortable?

It is surprisingly. :) It's recommended that you use large hair pins and not bobby pins, but that is all I had and they seemed to work fine.

That had such a neat effect! Where can you buy this version?

I got it at the gift store while at the Luray Caverns in Virginia. I have looked online to see if I could locate a place for you to get a copy, but I am not seeing it. Not even the cavern store has a website. :shrug:

I did find an image of the organ that is playing the music though. You can't see the hammers in the ceiling because they are so small.

http://blog.makezine.com/stalacpipe.jpg

There are also some videos of it playing on Youtube. It is set to play the same song each time, so each video will have the same music in it. Here is one of the better ones: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_a19XQm62uo

Hehe, I just semi-hijacked my own threat. Woot! :D