PDA

View Full Version : Crystal Gayle on Hair

LittleOrca
September 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM
ETA: I know I spelled her last name wrong! I forgot to fix it before I posted. Sorry :D
ETA 2: Yes the videos are old, but it's still fun to watch. ;)

I was surfing YouTube and I found these videos. The first one is her talking about hair health and basic facts (not to mention the narrator is a little cheesy). The other two are just interviews. I was never big into her singing, but she is a hair idol for me. :)

"Science of the Rich and Famous (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBQtTWRCOrs)" (lol told you it was cheesy)

Hair Questions (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAQX5mQGQ2A)

Interview About Cutting (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoPtKmMFvRI)

There are a few more online, but these about cover it. I just thought it was interesting, especially how she tells people she cuts her hair all the time, its not just as much as people wanted her too. And the hair they wanted her to have in the last one made me laugh.

oogie
September 2nd, 2009, 05:11 AM
Thank you SO much Little Orca. I have always loved her hair and her voice is just amazing. Thank you again for posting this. :flower:

ClareDee
September 2nd, 2009, 05:22 AM
Haha - love what she says in the first video, about being a mortician :D Never thought about it that way :hmm:

Little_Bird
September 2nd, 2009, 06:13 AM
Thank's for sharing Little Orca, I love Crystal Gayle..

BUT, I felt so sorry for her in the second and third videos. She really loves her hair but she always got so much pressure to cut it, and people even tease her, and sometimes it really makes me feel they're even making fun of her.

Why don't they cut their own hair and call it a day?

:poot:

By the way, does someone know what's her lenght now?
EDIT: I just checked, her hair is still about floor lenght. I'm glad she stood for what she wanted! :)

Anje
September 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
I'm trying to recognize that first video, which is clearly from a children's show. Sesame street, maybe?

mellie
September 2nd, 2009, 06:34 AM
She's a beautiful lady, with gorgeous hair and such a wonderful voice and attitude! Thanks for the videos.

BlackfootHair
September 2nd, 2009, 06:45 AM
That was awesome. I totally spied Suave in the background. lol

KarpatiiSiv
September 2nd, 2009, 06:55 AM
I've always thought her hair was beautiful and inspiring. She's 58 now and still sticking with it.:D Thanks for posting.:)

SHELIAANN1969
September 2nd, 2009, 07:06 AM
I love the videos, thanks for posting them all! :flower:

(FYI) Did anyone else know that Crystal Gayle is Loretta Lynns sister?

oogie
September 2nd, 2009, 07:08 AM

Sister? I thought they were cousins like Mickey Gillie and Jerry Lee Lewis ?

sorry for the highjack.

Sherri
September 2nd, 2009, 07:28 AM
Sister? I thought they were cousins like Mickey Gillie and Jerry Lee Lewis ?

sorry for the highjack.
No they are indeed sisters. Loretta Lynn is 16 years older than Crystal Gayle.

SHELIAANN1969
September 2nd, 2009, 07:30 AM
They are sisters, I didn't know it until a few years ago either. I have never seen Crystal in concert but had the immense pleasure of seeing Loretta Lynn and her daughters at a country music festival 2 years ago. :crush:

http://www.tunepiano.com/crystal.htm

oogie
September 2nd, 2009, 07:33 AM
Dang, who says you can't learn something everyday, thanks :) :flower:

Sherri
September 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
Dang, who says you can't learn something everyday, thanks :) :flower:
I know right. I never knew she was named after liking Krystal hamburgers...I just thought that was her name.

JamieLeigh
September 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM

Yep! But then I grew up in Alabama and Tennessee, where we just *know* things like that, LOL. :p

Thanks for the vids, Little Orca! She is a true hair inspiration (and she's my friend on Facebook! :D :D). I think my favorite comment was the *mortician* comment also, LOL. :eyebrows:

Rentlle
September 2nd, 2009, 07:47 AM
wow!!
i didn't knew here, but she's great! :o

Chrissy
September 2nd, 2009, 07:52 AM
I really don't think she wants to cut her hair at all. I think she just gets bombarded by questions about it. Obviously her dh doesn't want it cut either. Why must people always try and get others to think just like them. How is she hurting anyone by having long hair? I can't figure that out. I hope she never cuts it. It's beautiful.

Ryanne
September 2nd, 2009, 08:09 AM
Interesting, I've never seen a video of her. Thank you for posting.

EtherealOde
September 2nd, 2009, 08:18 AM
To think she cuts off a foot of hair every year! :agape: Obviously if that's true she hasn't reached terminal yet.I wonder how long that would be for her? :thud::thud::thud:

GlennaGirl
September 2nd, 2009, 12:32 PM
I can't believe how hard the interviewer was pushing her in that third interview. She was practically panting with the excitement of "Oooooooooh, are you going to c *t your h air? Are you are you are you? When? Soon? This year?"

Back OFF, lady.

What's the big thrill??

funnybunny668
September 2nd, 2009, 05:15 PM
Love her music and her hair! I've long been a fan of both.

halo_tightens
September 2nd, 2009, 05:22 PM
I noticed that she said she'd have to cut it in stages, if she ever does choose to go shorter-- and of course, that would be the least traumatic. I just remember my Grandma always saying that if Crystal ever did cut off her hair, like all at once, that it should go to the Smithsonian.

I wholeheartedly agree. :)

Beatnik Guy
September 2nd, 2009, 05:59 PM
I can't believe how hard the interviewer was pushing her in that third interview. She was practically panting with the excitement of "Oooooooooh, are you going to c *t your h air? Are you are you are you? When? Soon? This year?"

Back OFF, lady.

What's the big thrill??

Yeah, that woman was REALLY keen on cutting wasn't she? :rolleyes:

Interesting to see the videos though.

SHELIAANN1969
September 2nd, 2009, 06:34 PM
I think it's so rare, nowadays and back whenever those videos were made, to see such long hair. (we see it around here somewhat :D)

People just don't *get it* that there are folks who *want* long hair and don't want to cut. :shrug:

It's an odd fascination, I, on the other hand, try to encourage people *not* to cut. :D

I saw a gentleman in town with a segmented ponytail, it was thick and silver and about waist length, he was around 50-60 years old. I gasped and said, *heyyyyyyy, I like your hair*! He giggled and said *I am going to cut it someday* In a shocked tone I said *Oh no! Don't! It's wonderful, I love it* (then I felt lame for trying to get him to continue decorating my world, lol, and that I just told a complete stranger I loved something about him) But I smiled and he smiled and we parted ways, it was super cool though, long hairs DO connect! :D

Crystal was ever so kind, considerate and patient, she was way more diplomatic than I would have been, but she is very kind spirited and being famous, a person has to learn to let things run off their back and let it go without getting angry or upset.

She obviously has a mind of her own, as she has never had a major change/cut in this many years, she is lovely and sweet and genteel, I am in awe of her kindness and patience. :)

I guess she found her way of deflecting the badgering, she just says, *oh yes, I'll cut it, I do every year* and, *maybe someday, but hubs and I think I would be hard to get along with without my hair the way we love it*

I like her style, in every sense of the word.

tangocurl
September 2nd, 2009, 08:14 PM
I really enjoyed these. Thanks for posting them. I love old country music, and I love the way she handled the pushy interviewers with such grace and style. I was always fascinated by Crystal when I was a little girl.

windinherhair
October 29th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I found these the other day while surfing youtube. What a beautiful inspiration she is!

I am also in awe of her kindness and patience. :)

pepperminttea
October 29th, 2009, 04:15 PM
I've never heard of her before; but that is some beautiful hair! So much envy of what her growth rate must be if she's cutting off a foot a year!

Do wish they'd stop asking about cutting it though - it's not as if longhairs bug people on the street, saying "when're you going to grow your hair, huh? This year? Soon?!" :rolleyes:

Gypsy
October 29th, 2009, 04:51 PM

Sure did!
And I hate country music and easy listening but it was pretty common knowledge when they were both high on the charts at the same time.

MsBubbles
October 29th, 2009, 04:59 PM
I thought that her saying 'Oh I say I'll cut it some day' is a great response - it diffuses the power-struggle, I think. But still, she's so pretty her hair is really just icing on the cake and everybody knows it just doesn't matter anyway. IMO.

Wicked Princess
October 29th, 2009, 06:03 PM
All right - now I feel highly embarrassed because I had no idea who Crystal Gayle was before you posted these. :o When I asked my fiancé, he said it was a little before my time.

I really like her in the interviews - she's excellent at deflecting the pressure to cut her hair and seems very friendly and patient. I probably would have snapped and started beating the hosts with my braid.

Deb!
October 29th, 2009, 07:22 PM
She's always so graceful and feminine! :)

clairenewcastle
October 29th, 2009, 07:50 PM
She is an inspiration.
Why is the subject of her cutting her hair always brought up though?

teela1978
October 29th, 2009, 08:33 PM
For some reason I loved seeing her big ball o' shed hair in the first video :) Thanks for sharing!

Gladtobemom
October 29th, 2009, 08:39 PM
Wow, she was quite personable. I would bet that she gets a LOT of questions about hair. At least she didn't give out false info.

Naters
October 29th, 2009, 09:26 PM
wow she has gorgeous hair!! and those interviewers seriously need to get a life. She took it really well though, if it were me i would have gotten annoyed with all the hair questions.

clairenewcastle
October 29th, 2009, 09:34 PM
wow she has gorgeous hair!! and those interviewers seriously need to get a life. She took it really well though, if it were me i would have gotten annoyed with all the hair questions.

I agree, I would have got very annoyed with their line of questioning.
Although she has wonderful hair there is a lot more to her than her hair.

nowxisxforever
October 29th, 2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for posting these! I haven't really seen her before aside from a picture or two, she really is lovely, even if those are older videos!

Alun
October 30th, 2009, 02:16 AM
Not only lovely hair, but a really nice lady as well.

As for country music, I like the old stuff, but newer stuff, not so much.

Hiriel
October 30th, 2009, 05:11 AM
Heh, I had never heard of her before now, looks like I'm almost the only one.
But her hair is beautiful! I haven't tried growing my hair that long of course, but it must be difficult getting it that long and still be in such remarkably good condition! But I guess, if it grows a foot a year... :O

ChloeDharma
October 30th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Her hair really is stunning, is anybody else really quite envious of her growth rate? I wish i could afford to cut a foot off my length each year and still reach the floor!
It does make me think i must get serious about my supplements and remember to scalp massage though!
As for the interviewers, well....Crystal Gayle is famous for her hair as well as her singing, so i suppose it's to be expected that she'll be asked about it.....i know if i were interviewing her i'd be asking for a DETAILED run down of her hair care routine and diet! Though in an admiring way, not a "when will you cut it?" way.

MemSahib
October 30th, 2009, 08:27 AM
I just wonder if the poor lady gets to ever talk about anything BUT her hair! However, keeping that length and wearing it down while in the public eye pretty much sets her up for these conversations. Over and over and over...

Redheaded Raven
October 30th, 2009, 08:59 AM
It is funny my grandpa and I were just talking about her yesterday! She does have lovely hair. She was on a program and someone said something about her hair and she pulled it out of her pocket. lol:rolleyes:

I thought that it was funny, but a great way to protect it when doing stuff, if you want to wear it down. :D

pinkbunny
October 30th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Do wish they'd stop asking about cutting it though - it's not as if longhairs bug people on the street, saying "when're you going to grow your hair, huh? This year? Soon?!" :rolleyes:

Maybe we should start? That would be a good comeback line for the people who are persistent about hair cutting...

I probably would have snapped and started beating the hosts with my braid.

That gave me a hilarious visual! Though I wouldn't recommend it - too much damage to the braid! :p

GeoJ
October 30th, 2009, 10:12 AM
She has amazing hair! It is so cool to see real floor length hair, so well kept, in those videos.

I think she may have been my first long hair inspiration, even before Princess Leia (not real!). I recently told my Mom that I am going to try to grow my hair to knee length, and she said that does not surprise her because she remembers that I used to stare at the Crystal Gayle album covers when I was little. :)

I just checked my unboxed record collection and I do have an old album of hers. On the front she is wearing a high bun and on the back her hair is loose. It must be pretty old because her hair looks only about thigh length in the photo.

Bunnyhare
October 30th, 2009, 01:41 PM
Thanks so much Littleorca, i never knew what a lovely lady she is..and i did not know(or forgot) about her being sisters with Loretta Lynn! that first video was fun! i was trying to see what she had on the counter top there...perhaps a secret hair growth juice bottle?!

drquartz1970
October 30th, 2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks for sharing the videos on Crystal Gayle. Not a big fan of country music myself but I did like her classy replies about the hair cutting question.

ChloeDharma
October 30th, 2009, 05:28 PM
.......her hair looks only about thigh length in the photo.

I couldn't imagine reading a comment like that anywhere but here! lol

allege
October 30th, 2009, 07:05 PM
I grew up very close to Loretta and Brenda (Crystal's) family. Actually I use to live the next road over from Butcher "holler". They have a great family. I have always loved her hair, yes its even prettier in person. A few years ago Loretta and Brenda along with one of their sisters performed a concert for our town festival.

Growing up their brother owned a little store near our house, the store is covered with pictures of his sisters through their careers.

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2012, 04:31 PM
I bet she does get tired of answering questions about her hair especially the ones who want to bug her about a hair cut.

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2012, 05:20 PM
I seen the one on when she's going to cut her hair and the other one science of the rich and famous. I was looking for inspiration and found them.

piffyanne
December 23rd, 2012, 07:57 PM
why are there three seperate threads about the same woman at the top of my news feed?

ScarlettAdelle
December 23rd, 2012, 10:10 PM
That was like a flashback from my childhood haha!

I recall when I was a kid my grandparents used to watch the Statler (spelling??) Brothers and she used to appear occasionally on their show. It was about calf length when I remember it, and I always liked it, but it's one of the reasons I never set my goal at calf length, I always thought it was a little too thin at the ends for my taste, and that's partially why I set my goal at fingertip haha