PDA

View Full Version : I never thought I could live without cones...

halo_tightens
September 1st, 2009, 05:44 PM
Since I was just a kid, I always noticed that conditioners differed somewhat by brand. Certain ones had the "slippery" feeling, and left it behind in the hair, while others didn't have it at all. All these years, I've been avoiding all conditioners ever since that didn't have the coney slip that I liked. I didn't know anything about it yet except the distinctive feel, but I knew those were somehow best... for some reason.

I tried to go cone-free when I came to this site. I gave it maybe a couple of weeks, and hated it from Day 1. I caved and slathered on some Pantene to put my hair back the way I remembered it! It did just that. I was thrilled at first, but over the next few days I realized how unnatural it felt to me. I had never had anything to compare it with before, since I'd always used the cones. Now, suddenly, I noticed it!

I started using less and less of my coney products, replacing them slowly with Suaves in assorted flavors. :) One day recently, I realized that I'd somehow quit using cones entirely! It wasn't intentional; I had just been using what my hair felt like it wanted. Somehow, none of what my hair craves involves cones anymore... !!???

I feel like I can apply moisture treatments now and have them actually penetrate my hair. I suddenly have tons more wave and even a little curl. My hair is behaving well with very little effort for the first time, even the badly-damaged last few inches. I never thought I'd get off the cones, but it happened to a die-hard conehead like me without me even realizing it. :o

Look what this site has done to me, lol! :p

apynip
September 1st, 2009, 05:54 PM
Congrats!
i'm trying to get off cones myself my hair just ends up really dry or too oily(though this time it was because didnt wash my hot oil treatment out all the way D:)

But congrats! :cheese:its great to feel natural!

rogue_psyche
September 1st, 2009, 06:04 PM
I totally know how you feel. For a long time the brands that attracted me were the expensive brands with tons of cones. Then I discovered LHC and understand so much more about haircare. Even though I have peroxided hair which wants to split, I'd rather give my hair the protein and moisture balance to be as healthy as possible instead of something that locks moisture out and just makes hair look healthy.

Of course this is not to insult the cone users on this community. I just love how cone free has worked for me.

Rivanariko
September 1st, 2009, 07:00 PM
I haven't gotten up the courage to try cone-free yet... My hair feels so soft and nice with them! I can remember trying Suave once or twice when I was a kid and just used whatever was in the shower and I hated the way it left my hair feeling... maybe now that I know more about haircare, it will be different.

Still might take me a while to get the courage to try though ;)

spidermom
September 1st, 2009, 07:07 PM
I like to go back and forth. With cones, my hair is less tangly but a little stiff, so I get tired of that and stop using cones. Without cones, it's much softer and silkier, but it tangles and is more fly-away. When I get tired of that, I buy a coney product.

Elphie
September 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
I'm usually conefree but once in a while, I'll use up my stash of products that I bought before reading the ingredients and use a conditioner with cones (especially if I want my hair straighter that day.) While it feels good, it certainly feels different than my hair without cones (which I prefer). But if I don't wash them out with shampoo the next wash, my hair feels terrible.

young&reckless
September 2nd, 2009, 05:37 PM
I am with Spidermom. I cone and don't cone as I go. I usally end up using more cones about 3 weeks after a cassia as thats when its effects start to wain on my hair.

marikamt
September 2nd, 2009, 05:50 PM
Me too, me too!!!!!! I am loving cone-free and did not think I would....... am trying my first SMT too.... yipee!

HoneyDrop
September 5th, 2009, 04:24 AM
I love being conefree too :) My hair just feels so much more natural. And it has a different kind of shine to it. And my waves look much nicer. The only thing I don't like about is that now I can see how damaged my ends are..