PDA

View Full Version : hairdressing silent movie

misstwist
September 1st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Ran into a link to British Pathe video archive for Saville Row tailoring. From there I did a search on "hairdressing" and came up with this silent video showing a hair model dressing her hair in an Edwardian style. The clip is undated.

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8524

Go watch it, I'll wait.

Isn't it fabulous!?!

I didn't link to my search because there are some videos of cutting, but you can put "hairdressing" in the search box and get all the same results I did.

That's the only one I've looked at, I have to run. Did you find an other little gems?

may1em
September 1st, 2009, 11:51 AM
Oh, wow!

An early precursor to all our favorite YouTube how-to ladies!

LutraLutra
September 1st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Tres glam, and I love the comb at the end - I can see myself wearing that on the train to work and poking peoples eyes out. :D

Kiraela
September 1st, 2009, 12:10 PM
I loved that style - so simple and elegant! The comb was a bit much for me, personally though... Although if she'd put it upright she'd have this awesome peacock-tail thing going on!

Lady Mary
September 1st, 2009, 12:13 PM
Loved that video! :flower:

Garnet66
September 1st, 2009, 12:27 PM
Facinating video. Thanks for posting it.

KarpatiiSiv
September 1st, 2009, 12:52 PM
That was fascinating although the comb at the end was a bit much.:D

Carolyn
September 1st, 2009, 01:18 PM
Oh wow! That is just amazing! I loved how she made the bun. I would have never thought of that. Yes the fan comb is a bit much for now but I think it just shows what might have been worn at the time.

Silver & Gold
September 1st, 2009, 01:32 PM
Wow! I love this! Thanks for sharing.

misstwist
September 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Oh wow! That is just amazing! I loved how she made the bun. I would have never thought of that. Yes the fan comb is a bit much for now but I think it just shows what might have been worn at the time.

Yes, I'm always tickled to find something contemporary to the time-period I'm trying to emulate.

I sometimes forget that movies were around in the 19-teens and 1920's. British Pathe starting producing newsreels before 1910!

Ruvie
September 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
I bet I could use that comb for some grilling in the summer, that thing is HUGE!

serious
September 1st, 2009, 01:57 PM
I agree that the comb is a bit much, but it is such a great video !

NiAosSi
September 1st, 2009, 02:09 PM
It's a great video. Is it just me or does her hair look really damaged? She's in serious need of an SMT and some S&D. I know, I know - Debbie Downer checking in...

misstwist
September 1st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Looks freshly washed with brushed out waves to me.

Remember, the fashion for hair in the Edwardian/Titanic era was big, fluffy hair. We like smooth, silky hair these days. Everything changes with the fashions.

NiAosSi
September 1st, 2009, 02:26 PM
Yea, I guess. :o

Remember, the fashion for hair in the Edwardian/Titanic era was big, fluffy hair. We like smooth, silky hair these days. Everything changes with the fashions.

Feye
September 1st, 2009, 02:35 PM
Thanks for sharing, I enjoyed it! Off to try the style...

ImperfectBrat
September 1st, 2009, 03:33 PM
Be sure to come back with pics !! I want to try it but I just went back to cones and I am too slippy now :(

serious
September 1st, 2009, 03:53 PM
Yes, pictures please:)

apynip
September 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM
Oh this is such a simple yet beautiful style! Times like these i never cut my hair two years ago... Thanks so much for sharing!

LittleOrca
September 1st, 2009, 05:32 PM
I am having fun going through all the videos on the site. The swim caps were fun :D lol

TammySue
September 1st, 2009, 06:54 PM

Woo hoo! I love the edwardian era and my hair is fluffy. :D

I enjoyed watching the video!

jocosema
September 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
That was great! Did you look at some of the other videos. I liked Beauty Farm.

spidermom
September 1st, 2009, 08:00 PM
I think her hair looked incredibly damaged also, maybe heat-permed with those rods that connected to a big hairdryer hood-looking thing and fried your hair into frizzles.

Cool 'do, though; I'll have to try something similar one of these days.

jahof45
September 1st, 2009, 08:12 PM
Very cool and easy looking updo! I don't know, I kinda liked the comb but I probably wouldn't wear it myself.

Eskarine
September 1st, 2009, 08:45 PM
Very cool! I have a feeling the rest of my evening is now lost to old films. :D

Gladtobemom
September 1st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Ran into a link to British Pathe video archive for Saville Row tailoring. From there I did a search on "hairdressing" and came up with this silent video showing a hair model dressing her hair in an Edwardian style. The clip is undated.

Go watch it, I'll wait.

Isn't it fabulous!?!

I didn't link to my search because there are some videos of cutting, but you can put "hairdressing" in the search box and get all the same results I did.

That's the only one I've looked at, I have to run. Did you find an other little gems?

Thank you, it is fabulous.

I love how her hair covers her ears, that was so fashionable in the 1920's and 1930's. You see it in all the magazines.

Heavenly Locks
September 1st, 2009, 09:11 PM
What a fun look into the past :) I felt like a time traveller :flower:

I wonder what kind of pins she was using? My hair wouldn't hold if it were that loose I don't think...

Silver & Gold
September 1st, 2009, 09:16 PM
Here's one just made for LHC

1950 Longest Hair (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=48072), you can also see the kind of hairpins she uses.

spidermom
September 1st, 2009, 09:26 PM
Here's one just made for LHC

1950 Longest Hair (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=48072), you can also see the kind of hairpins she uses.

Wooooeird! She didn't even rinse!

misstwist
September 1st, 2009, 09:46 PM
Okay, another one. This one is an updated Grecian style do. I want someone to come to my house and do my hair for me!

http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8529

Colored extensions!! (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=11728)

GlennaGirl
September 1st, 2009, 09:51 PM
How sweet and adorable! (The first one...I haven't watched the link directly above this post yet.)

I apologize, I'm short on time at the moment, but does anyone know the actual date of the film? To me it looks like late 20s at least, leading toward the 30s, only because of the dark lipstick and because of the "wings" in the front being considered stylish--it looks like a faux "bob" but a less apologetic one (the bun is obvious, particularly with that comb in it) and I don't know whether the average person really bobbed early on.

This looks to be a "good girl's" way of faking that.

It was such a sweet video.

misstwist
September 1st, 2009, 10:12 PM
How sweet and adorable! (The first one...I haven't watched the link directly above this post yet.)

I apologize, I'm short on time at the moment, but does anyone know the actual date of the film? To me it looks like late 20s at least, leading toward the 30s, only because of the dark lipstick and because of the "wings" in the front being considered stylish--it looks like a faux "bob" but a less apologetic one (the bun is obvious, particularly with that comb in it) and I don't know whether the average person really bobbed early on.

This looks to be a "good girl's" way of faking that.

It was such a sweet video.

There is no date on the film. It looks like late 19-teens, early 1920s to me. Blackfoothair has a thread with pictures of her great-grandmother from the early 20th century with a nearly identical do.

misstwist
September 1st, 2009, 10:13 PM
That was great! Did you look at some of the other videos. I liked Beauty Farm.

I just watched that one. It was a scream!

Madame J
September 2nd, 2009, 06:49 AM
I just tried this with regular, U-shaped hair pins from the beauty supply store. I had to be a little creative and twist some of the first pieces pulled back to get the pins to hold, and my hair didn't cover my ears (it's not even APL yet!), but it looked very similar and romantic. Maybe I'll wear my hair like this when my husband gets home on Saturday. I do have pictures, but I have to go to work, so they'll have to wait till tonight to upload.

It took more than thirty seconds, but it really was a very quick and easy updo.

karli
September 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM
I loved it too!

Does anyone know what an Emile expert was? A Hairdresser? A beautyligne? Just curious whether this is some kind of comercial or not.

misstwist
September 2nd, 2009, 09:20 AM
I loved it too!

Does anyone know what an Emile expert was? A Hairdresser? A beautyligne? Just curious whether this is some kind of comercial or not.

Funny you should ask. I've done some Google-ing and come up with this info about M. Emile.

Emile Long was a hairdresser from Paris. From 1910 to 1920 he wrote a column in English for an English hairdresser's magazine, a trade publication. The subject of his column was haircare and descriptions of the latest modes of hair fashion in Paris. It was intended to help English hairdressers keep up with the trends.

In 1999, Steven Zdatny wrote a book called Hairstyles and Fashion: a Hairdressers History of Paris, 1910 to 1920. I suspect this is a publication of a thesis project. It just has that flavor, but I haven't done any research on the author.

Anyhoo, Zdatny extensively reprints these columns as part of his examination of early 20th Century cultural history. Large parts of the book are available in preview from Google books. (http://books.google.com/books?id=467EMbGsruMC&dq=emile+long+hairdresser&source=gbs_navlinks_s) The link above is to the overview page. You can click preview and take a look.

I didn't note the name of the trade magazine. It might be available in full through Google books if you are interested.

This is speculation, but it looks to me that he moved to London sometime between 1920 and 1922 and opened a business there. Most of the filmclips involving an Emile model or M. Emile himself are undated, but one is dated 1922 and one is dated 1924.

So, yes, it is in many respects a commercial, in the same way features in current women's magazines use a "hairstylist to the stars" as their expert in a trends or makeover article. Many of the clips say "Eve's Film Review" at the bottom and one of the descriptions mentions that.

I suspect this was a women's magazine type newsreel. A search of "Eve's Film Review" (http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php?search=eve%27s+film+review) on the Pathe site turns up lots of clips of the human interest story variety.

That is all I know. I'm dying to read Zdatny's book. Maybe I can get it on interlibrary loan.

Krifantasy
September 2nd, 2009, 11:26 AM
Thank you misstwist! It has made fascinating watching so far. There are so many hair videos on that site that I couldn't figure out where to start.

I definitely want to try the one you first linked to though! Hope it works on my hair (I have pouffy hair so that will make it easier).

misstwist
September 2nd, 2009, 12:01 PM
I'm glad y'all are enjoying these.

Another fun one that looks like it will work for us. (http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8518) It contains four hairstyles, two are demonstrated. I was especially intrigued by the second, described as "for Ladies just recovering from the bobbed hair vogue." M. Emile produces a great big bun with hair at about apl.

Kimberly
September 2nd, 2009, 12:46 PM

Go watch it, I'll wait.

Isn't it fabulous!?!

Thanks for posting this! I have just the right hair type for this period. At first I tried it with a bunch of pins, but it just wouldn't hold (pins never do for me). After I finally found and removed all of the pins, I tried it again with a fork, and it worked great, though my puff on the back isn't nearly as dramatic.

Thank you again!

karli
September 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Funny you should ask. I've done some Google-ing and come up with this info about M. Emile.

Emile Long was a hairdresser from Paris. From 1910 to 1920 he wrote a column in English for an English hairdresser's magazine, a trade publication. The subject of his column was haircare and descriptions of the latest modes of hair fashion in Paris. It was intended to help English hairdressers keep up with the trends.

In 1999, Steven Zdatny wrote a book called Hairstyles and Fashion: a Hairdressers History of Paris, 1910 to 1920. I suspect this is a publication of a thesis project. It just has that flavor, but I haven't done any research on the author.

Anyhoo, Zdatny extensively reprints these columns as part of his examination of early 20th Century cultural history. Large parts of the book are available in preview from Google books. (http://books.google.com/books?id=467EMbGsruMC&dq=emile+long+hairdresser&source=gbs_navlinks_s) The link above is to the overview page. You can click preview and take a look.

I didn't note the name of the trade magazine. It might be available in full through Google books if you are interested.

This is speculation, but it looks to me that he moved to London sometime between 1920 and 1922 and opened a business there. Most of the filmclips involving an Emile model or M. Emile himself are undated, but one is dated 1922 and one is dated 1924.

So, yes, it is in many respects a commercial, in the same way features in current women's magazines use a "hairstylist to the stars" as their expert in a trends or makeover article. Many of the clips say "Eve's Film Review" at the bottom and one of the descriptions mentions that.

I suspect this was a women's magazine type newsreel. A search of "Eve's Film Review" (http://www.britishpathe.com/results.php?search=eve%27s+film+review) on the Pathe site turns up lots of clips of the human interest story variety.

That is all I know. I'm dying to read Zdatny's book. Maybe I can get it on interlibrary loan.

Thankyou for the great info! This makes the films even more enjoyable!

UrsaMama
September 5th, 2009, 10:53 AM
Spidermom: I think she did rinse, they just cut that part out. Cause if you look at the basin just before she pulls it out, the water is very clear, no suds.

Qamar
September 5th, 2009, 12:31 PM
That was one ginormous comb! It was beautiful but would be hard to pull off today. Check out the swept back Grecian style video... http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=8518 Its quite pretty. The more elaborate version (after modified "bob") made me giggle though. It would be wildly impractical.

Qamar
September 5th, 2009, 12:37 PM
Wooooeird! She didn't even rinse!

Re: 1950's Kensington woman with the then world's longest hair

Hey, I use those same hairpins! They work MUCH better than bobby pins.