PDA

View Full Version : msm?

hippiechick1976
September 1st, 2009, 09:58 AM
I read somewhere on some post that it made a difference in hair growth. anyone have details/info?

marikamt
September 1st, 2009, 10:08 AM
I started this about a month ago..... (when I joined LHC and quit lurking)
I DID have an awesome hair month... about an inch of growth, but I did a ton of other stuff too so not sure what contribution this had (newbie mistake, I tried EVERYTHING at once :lol: )

missfortune9335
September 1st, 2009, 10:57 AM
not to sound dumb, but what is msm?

marikamt
September 1st, 2009, 11:04 AM
not to sound dumb, but what is msm?

I only know because i read about it in an article... it is a supplement that is said to help w/ hair growth by increasing the growth cycle....

hippiechick1976
September 1st, 2009, 11:23 AM
what article?

marikamt
September 1st, 2009, 11:37 AM
I am not sure if this link will work, but here we go... if not, go to the articles section, then hair care and supplements.. it is by Igor. This was my starting point for hair growth supplements, then did some additional research on line.....

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74

OOOOHHH!!! it worked- yipee! :cheer:

hippiechick1976
September 1st, 2009, 11:56 AM
oh thanks!!!!! I so need to get some LOL

marikamt
September 1st, 2009, 11:59 AM
oh thanks!!!!! I so need to get some LOL

I hear Biotin is excellent too.. (I am taking that as well) in addition to Evening Primrose Oil (gelcap)... I take other vitamins/ supplements but I think these are the "hair specific" ones :)

hippiechick1976
September 1st, 2009, 12:09 PM
yeah I take biotin too and evening primrose, plus a multi., a iron pill once weekly and flax oil lol

lhangel9
September 5th, 2009, 05:45 PM
As previously said, MSM is supposed to increase the hair growth cycle. I've used MSM for nearly one year - I'd switch between capsules and powder. The most results that I noticed is slight nail growth, weight gain and bloating:( I'm not sure if it actually lengthened my hair growth cycle, but I did have some extremely vivid dreams. 2 days ago I stopped taking MSM (just to give my system a rest) and I've lost 2 pounds in only 2 days!:cheese: So I'm going to go without if for the remainder of the month to see the results since in addition to growing out my hair I'm also trying to lose some weight. I'm taking Biotin and B-Complex vitamins.

Good luck on your hair journey!

curlytiff27
September 22nd, 2009, 10:41 AM
Hello! I know this is a few weeks old but...I was wondering if you have noticed a change in the texture of your hair since stopping msm? I've taken it for the past 6 wekks but stopped yesterday. I finally figured out that the msm was the cause of my texture change in my curls. Where they grew over that time they are barely wavey now. I'm sad and scared that I will never have my curls back again. I'm hoping that by stopping msm it will help.
Thanks.

As previously said, MSM is supposed to increase the hair growth cycle. I've used MSM for nearly one year - I'd switch between capsules and powder. The most results that I noticed is slight nail growth, weight gain and bloating:( I'm not sure if it actually lengthened my hair growth cycle, but I did have some extremely vivid dreams. 2 days ago I stopped taking MSM (just to give my system a rest) and I've lost 2 pounds in only 2 days!:cheese: So I'm going to go without if for the remainder of the month to see the results since in addition to growing out my hair I'm also trying to lose some weight. I'm taking Biotin and B-Complex vitamins.

Good luck on your hair journey!

redneckprincess
September 22nd, 2009, 10:55 AM
I havent tried it yet but when I have the money I want to...I hear it helps alot...for now the Biotin is doing the trick for me

marikamt
September 22nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
I posted earlier on this thread, prior to the post on MSM and weight gain... I have only been taking for a month and I HAVE gained 5 lbs...... I know my eating has not been out of control and wondered why I had gained the weight.... I tried googling links between weight gain and MSM but haven't gotten very far... anyone else have this issue?

ambychelle
September 22nd, 2009, 11:10 AM
Oh no!! Not weight gain! No good.
I've been taking it for about 10 days and I've lost 2-3lbs which is really really weird for me. Maybe it's just a fluke though because I'm trying to eat more good fats. I hear sometimes when you add more fats to your diet, you can lose weight (.. what is it they say.. fat doesn't make you fat). I've gone a little avacado and butter crazy lately so weightloss really might have anything to do with the MSM.

marikamt
September 22nd, 2009, 11:14 AM
Well I tend to eat pretty healthy..... no processed foods, healthy fats, healthy carbs/ whole grains (including brown rice), no empty calories. I cook every day and eat 98% of my meals at home (or take a healthy lunch, still out of my kitchen though). Soda is not my thing.....
I stick between 1800-2000 calories a day and am moderately active. I am shocked that I gained.....
Am not trying to hijack this thread, but really, the MSM is the only major thing I have done differently (a few other supplements too). I walked for an hour about 2-3 times a week, but I am in school now so still moving around (not an hour straight though).

ETA- the hour walk burned about 350 calories, so that would not account for the total weight gain, maybe 1 lb.

curlytiff27
September 22nd, 2009, 11:33 AM
Actually when I was researching the loss of my curls from msm I did see a lot of ladies complain about weight gain from msm! So yes, its quite possible! If I wasn't doing this from my cell I'd paste some of the links for you. A lot of the ladies were from LHCF. And a lot of them went off it for that reason. It would explain some things with me too. I'd been bustingmy butt at the gym with no results. And I am very careful with what I eat.

If anyone funds info on whether my curl pattern will return to normal after stopping please please let me know. I am a bit worked up over it. I feel like I've really screwed up this time. I should have just stick to my vitamins I was using instead of adding a bunch of stuff I don't need. :-(

marikamt
September 22nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
Actually when I was researching the loss of my curls from msm I did see a lot of ladies complain about weight gain from msm! So yes, its quite possible! If I wasn't doing this from my cell I'd paste some of the links for you. A lot of the ladies were from LHCF. And a lot of them went off it for that reason. It would explain some things with me too. I'd been bustingmy butt at the gym with no results. And I am very careful with what I eat.

If anyone funds info on whether my curl pattern will return to normal after stopping please please let me know. I am a bit worked up over it. I feel like I've really screwed up this time. I should have just stick to my vitamins I was using instead of adding a bunch of stuff I don't need. :-(

I wish I could answer your question for you... My hair has actually gotten wavier since joining, but that is due to increased care/ moisture...... I have no idea about the MSM curls, but if it is what is causing it, I would assume if you stop, it would return?
Really bummed about the weight gain thing though......

indigonight
September 22nd, 2009, 11:52 AM
it surprises me you'd gain weight from it since it is a form of sulfur; sulfur is good for hair and nails due to it's ability to increase growth in hair, nails and skin. Sulfur also is known for it's ability to improve circulation and decrease inflammation.

Efficient nutrients are necessary for hair follicles to grow. These follicles are supplied with sulfur through blood stream which is needed for the hair to grow faster and healthier. Hair itself has 35% of sulfur containing amino acids. Sulfur is necessary to produce healthy collagen and keratin in our body which are the basics of healthy hair. It acts as a nutrition for hair to keep the hair cells alive. It not only keeps the cells alive but also forms new healthy cells. It continues to repair the unhealthy cells and fights against DHT when there is an imbalance, and restores the lost hair after illness.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methylsulfonylmethane

curlytiff27
September 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Yes, at this point the weight gain has added fuel to the fire for me! Oh I also read one review from a user that stopped because they were having shortness of breath. Nothing sever just when they would go for a walk. I noticed the same thing when I started taking it when I would walk my dogs. I thought that was interesting too. I could always get on the treadmill and do HITT cardio for 30 mins with no problem before hand.
Oh well...I'm hoping by stopping that I will not be triggered into a major shed or something! If it happenes someone please lock me up and just throw away the key! LOL

I wish I could answer your question for you... My hair has actually gotten wavier since joining, but that is due to increased care/ moisture...... I have no idea about the MSM curls, but if it is what is causing it, I would assume if you stop, it would return?
Really bummed about the weight gain thing though......

marikamt
September 22nd, 2009, 12:05 PM
Yes, at this point the weight gain has added fuel to the fire for me! Oh I also read one review from a user that stopped because they were having shortness of breath. Nothing sever just when they would go for a walk. I noticed the same thing when I started taking it when I would walk my dogs. I thought that was interesting too. I could always get on the treadmill and do HITT cardio for 30 mins with no problem before hand.
Oh well...I'm hoping by stopping that I will not be triggered into a major shed or something! If it happenes someone please lock me up and just throw away the key! LOL

I may stop too... I am still taking biotin and the growth increase from MSM is so incremental. If the weight falls off, I will know. I am not 100% sure that it what it is, but not sure it is not either......

Debra83
September 25th, 2009, 12:14 PM
I've been taking MSM for over a year, and in that year I've lost weight and my hair seems to be growing quickly as well. My nails are nice too. I take a lot of other stuff too, but if you search on the health benefits of msm, it's like a miracle. Apparently, it is what the vegetables eventually turn into in your body when they are converted. (ash?). It has helped people with allergies and alzheimer's.

Lalital
February 20th, 2013, 04:22 AM
:rolleyes:

Lalital
February 20th, 2013, 04:32 AM
There is much conflicting evidence with weight gain and weight loss and MSM. My theory is that if you are not getting enough sulfur in your diet then MSM would help you to detox and lose weight and do all the rest of the good things to your body. However, if you are getting enough, then MSM could cause you to gain weight. I have gained weight and I eat healthy and not a lot so MSM is the only thing it could be attributed to. I also workout daily. One can not overdose on sulfur but that does not mean that you can't get too much - excess is excess. I think my body is well nourished due to supplementing so MSM is in excess for me. Therefore, I am going to cut out MSM from my daily diet to see if I can 'get back' my lean muscular body - (even though I just bought another kilo of it :doh:). I'll see how it goes.

shutterpillar
February 20th, 2013, 06:07 AM
I tried MSM for about 4 months last year and it did nothing for me as far as getting more hair growth. It did seem to make my nails stronger, though.

silverthread
February 20th, 2013, 11:02 AM
MSM, combined with healthy eating, stress management, exercise, proper hair care, has increased the thickness and quality of my hair. :cheese: I didn't get weight gain from MSM. However, I have gained about 3 pounds due to the onset of menopause.:(

LakeofGlass
February 20th, 2013, 11:59 AM
After reading a lot of what people have said, it seems that I may be doing something for hair and not realizing it. I've needed a complex of B vitamins for womanly health reasons. After seeing that note on Sulfur, and noting MSM has sulfoxide, I guess it's understandable that an excess of sulfur would have an effect. When reading about MSM, I'd noticed that as a dietary sup, it's meant to be a sulfur source if one is low on sulfur. However, if we all have enough of the right veggies and protein, MSM may offer excess sulfur.

I'd still have to do more reading on it, but I guess the best bet is to look at what's already in your diet to see if considering MSM is a good option. Judging by what Lalital said, the amount of sulfur seems to be the key thing here. This actually makes me consider juicing fruits & veggies more than before.

ravenreed
February 20th, 2013, 01:12 PM
MSM hasn't done anything for my hair or nails that I can see, but it has helped lessen the severity of my allergies. That is why I am still taking it. I have such a problem with chronic allergies that anything that helps is awesome!

rock007junkie
February 20th, 2013, 01:25 PM
I've been taking vitamins with MSM in them for a year or so. I don't know how much it aids in hair growth but I notice I shed much less when I'm on them. I remember not taking the vitamins for a like 2 weeks and I started shedding like crazy.

lovinglocks
February 20th, 2013, 06:02 PM
I've been taking msm for a month and my hair has grown an inch and a half.

silverthread
August 25th, 2013, 10:01 AM
MSM, combined with healthy eating, stress management, exercise, proper hair care, has increased the thickness and quality of my hair. :cheese: I didn't get weight gain from MSM. However, I have gained about 3 pounds due to the onset of menopause.:(

I know this is weird, replying to my former post, but anyway, here it is: I stopped taking MSM for about three months and this is what happened: My hair started shedding a lot and my hot flashes returned with a vengeance. So, I just started taking it again about 10 days ago, and this time I AM GAINING WEIGHT, about a pound every couple days, and my breasts are sore; however, my hot flashes have gone away again, and my hair shedding has decreased significantly. I CAN'T WIN!!

ravenreed
August 25th, 2013, 10:09 AM
When I first started taking MSM it made me ravenous. I seriously ate about twice what I normally do and my tummy was growling all the time. That faded after a few weeks, thank goodness! Could that be why you are gaining weight?

I know this is weird, replying to my former post, but anyway, here it is: I stopped taking MSM for about three months and this is what happened: My hair started shedding a lot and my hot flashes returned with a vengeance. So, I just started taking it again about 10 days ago, and this time I AM GAINING WEIGHT, about a pound every couple days, and my breasts are sore; however, my hot flashes have gone away again, and my hair shedding has decreased significantly. I CAN'T WIN!!

silverthread
August 25th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Hi, Ravenreed. I haven't felt hungrier. Not sure if I'm eating more, but I'll keep track and see what I find.

jacqueline101
August 25th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Im taking msm and im loving it my hair has grown.