PDA

View Full Version : I need visual instructions: how to trim own hair.

MissHair
April 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Hi guys. I need some visual instructions on how to trim and even out my ends. I have some old layers, whenever I try to even it out I always end up trimming on the wrong place. Ive tried to tie my hair and trim it from behind.. Ive tried to lift up my hair and look it through a mirror to cut it evenly and again it went wrong.. My hair isnt superlong so I cant reach it that well. I dont trust my family, friends nor a hairdresser to trim the way I like to trim it. I just want a centimetre or more off to even it out in a U- or V- shape.

Do you know how to do it on yourself?

jojo
April 16th, 2008, 04:09 PM
http://community.livejournal.com/feyeselftrim/

there you go, HTH

Irishred
April 16th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Fey's method works great however, I'm not sure if you can work it with your length. Can't hurt to try. Instead of going for a centimeter, try just a dusting - that would be a couple millimeters - to even things up.

You don't trust any of your friends or family? Feye's method works for someone else to do it too.

An option may be to see if any LHCers live in your area that might be self trimmers to. Would you trust them to trim you? Do a mini-meet :)

squiggyflop
April 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
i used feys method... my hair ended up a nice u shape... i cut off 2 inches from waist back to bsl... and yeah its hard to reach

MissHair
April 18th, 2008, 01:23 PM
Too bad the images are so small, I wish they were bigger. But her website is very well done, I havent dusted/trimmed yet, Im gonna give it a try after Ive washed my hair. Im wondering though, is it better to cut on dry or damp hair? In hair salons they always cut on damp hair, Im wondering if this also goes for dusting, trimming?

Delila
April 18th, 2008, 01:30 PM
Here's a link to another page: JJJLonghair's Photo page (http://www.jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/8.html) Down toward the middle, they give some photos illustrating what they do to trim their (longer) hair.

HTH! !

Sarahmoon
April 18th, 2008, 02:19 PM
I don't understand how you can get a U shape when you tilt your hair back!
If you tilt it back, you cut of more from the "middle" hair than from the sides I would think.

And she says: "Note: For a deeper U-shape, hold your head straight up, or tilt it forward instead."

?????

Anje
April 18th, 2008, 02:25 PM
If you tilt it back, you cut of more from the "middle" hair than from the sides I would think.

And she says: "Note: For a deeper U-shape, hold your head straight up, or tilt it forward instead."

?????

I'm not sure, either. You do get a deeper U the further your head leans forward, though.
For a deeper U still, I believe there's someone (sorry, I forget her name!) who somehow gathers it forward to make a ponytail in front of her face, then trims the ends. It may become my main cutting method, too, if the front parts stay significantly shorter the way they have in the past.

florenonite
April 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM

?????

To my understanding, you part it in the middle and bring it to the front. Consequently, the hair from the back is already being pulled further around than the hair from the front. If you tilt it backwards you minimise the difference between the front and back, and the further forward you tilt your head, the further the hair from the front bits of your head hangs, and therefore more of it gets cut off.

I don't think I did a very good job of explaining that, but I hope it helps.

jojo
April 18th, 2008, 05:06 PM
I dont know how it works but it does I did this in Feb (latest picture in siggi) and got the straight hem i was after, by holding my head straight as possible.