PDA

View Full Version : How much to tip a hairdresser?

Lamb
August 31st, 2009, 01:18 PM
This should probably be on the Friendship Board, but as it deals with hair and salons, I'll put it here.

So, how much should we tip at the salon for a simple trim (no coloring or anything fancy)? I've heard all sorts of things from 10% to 25%. Also, does the tip percentage depend on how high end the salon is? Should one tip more at a cheap place like Fantastic Sam's or Topcuts or Supercuts where stylists make presumably less money? Is tipping always expected? (I wouldn't dream of not tipping at the salon, but I know it is incorporated in the bill at some places.)

Tanuki
August 31st, 2009, 01:24 PM
when I go to the barber, it usually costs about ten. For that it's a two dollar tip. Though I've heard a 15% tip is generally customary, same as restaurants. Though you really should tip as much as you feel the job requires. If they do a lousy job or make you feel worried for your hair, let it show in the tip.

heatherdazy
August 31st, 2009, 02:07 PM
Tipping is expected. If you don't tip, I'd assume you hated the haircut or were in some way upset with something I did or said. Guidelines are the same as a restaurant...

10% for poor service
15% for acceptable service
20% for good service

Most clients tip a little more if I've squeezed them in at the last minute, come in early or stayed late for them, or if they were running more than 15 minutes late.

I personally tip much more whether I'm at a restaurant or the nail salon and I've noticed that my clients who are/were servers, bartenders, estheticians, etc do the same.

Percentages are not based on whether you get 'anything fancy' and I'm surprised when people ask if a trim costs less than a haircut. I always tell my clients it's not what I take off that's important, it's what I leave on! After all, the easiest haircut in the world would mean just taking a pair of clippers and running them over someone's head.

Tipping should not vary by the type of salon unless you are somewhere very fancy and there's a shampoo girl or assistant, in which case you should give them $3-5.

Also, if it's convenient to tip in cash, that is always ideal. Percentages are deducted from what we receive from a credit card, and it often takes a few days to get it. Honestly, if all of my clients paid me in cash and checks only, I could lower my prices by about 5-10% and make just as much money. So while not technically a guideline like the other stuff, I thought that might be interesting to know.

wintersun99
August 31st, 2009, 02:23 PM

Carolyn
August 31st, 2009, 02:45 PM
I've tipped about 20% for years. A few times I've tipped more but that was special circumstances. The stylist came in on her day off. Remember to tip only on the services and not on the products purchased at the time of the service. I wasn't aware that tipping in cash was better so I'll try to do that from now on.

Feline
August 31st, 2009, 03:21 PM
DH and I normally tip 20% for services. This is at least partly because I am a mathmatical nincompoop :rolleyes:, and simply find it easier to compute. I also worked "service" jobs in college and understand how you can come to depend on those tips, it makes a difference! If the service was really bad, of course, the tip will be reduced, but only rarely completely eliminated.

OTOH, I really hate tipping NYC taxi drivers, mostly because they all drive like maniacs :pray:, and I hate paying more for the "privilege" of having the doo-wop scared out of me! The last time, for instance, our driver nearly sideswiped a bus!:shocked:But then, they say the only thing scarier than a NYC cabbie's driving is a NYC cabbie who hasn't been tipped!:blueeek: I really feel safer on the subway...

funnybunny668
August 31st, 2009, 06:37 PM
I'm not good with percentages, but I used to tip anywhere from $3 on a $13 quick haircut (no shampoo or blowdry), up to $10 or $12 on a $60 cut and color with shampoo & blowdry (back in the days when I got those salon services!) I also kind of figured more time spent on me meant more tip, as well as better serice = better tip.

heatherdazy
August 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM
I have a HUGE problem with these guidelines. Why tip for poor service? Makes zero sense to me.
Yeah, I'd rather everything just cost what it costs, too and it would be great if stylists were on salary and not commission and if servers could earn money even if their customer stiffs them, but somehow we wound up with the tipping system.

talullah
August 31st, 2009, 06:46 PM
I tip my stylist N. 25%, sometimes more (I just round up). I give her so much because I've been going to her for years and she goes out of her way to help me-- like if I call the salon and N. is booked, she'll often call me back personally to work me in (like she'll come in at 8:30 am instead of her usual 9:00, or stay late on a Friday night). She also trims my bangs for free and I don't even need an appointment, I just show up on a day she's working. I'm also kind of a pain in the butt with the long hair.

wintersun99
August 31st, 2009, 06:50 PM

Lamb
August 31st, 2009, 07:08 PM
I guess I should clarify. The salons I can afford are all rather cheap (Topcuts charges CAD 14, the hair salon on my university campus charges CAD 21 for a haircut). I know most stylists who work at these places depend on tips and customer loyalty. They provide good service, do what I ask for, nothing more and nothing less. I am just confused about tipping - would CAD 25 be too little if the price is CAD 21?

wintersun99
August 31st, 2009, 07:18 PM

Indigo Girl
August 31st, 2009, 07:23 PM
I tip my stylist N. 25%, sometimes more (I just round up). I give her so much because I've been going to her for years and she goes out of her way to help me-- like if I call the salon and N. is booked, she'll often call me back personally to work me in (like she'll come in at 8:30 am instead of her usual 9:00, or stay late on a Friday night). She also trims my bangs for free and I don't even need an appointment, I just show up on a day she's working. I'm also kind of a pain in the butt with the long hair.

I also have been going to my stylist for years, and tip her a lot too. I'm not sure what the percentage works out to, but she charges me $25 for a trim and I always tip her $10, in cash.

I agree with [this] post, just as much as I stand by my [last] post. Tipping for "poor" service is not my thing and never will be and if it's expected, too bad. Industry with the tipping system is not absolved of good job performance. If one wants a decent tip, provide decent services and I'm not talking above and beyond here...

I completely agree with you.

I have no problem leaving a $0 tip for extremely poor service (I used to be in the service industry a long time ago myself). You either earn it or you don't. And I'm not talking about normal mistakes. I once had a waiter mess my order up twice and spill my drink, he still got a standard tip from me as he was very apologetic and made a genuine effort to correct the issues.

Attitude is key to me. If you've got a miserable, nasty one you're not getting a tip.

Syaoransbear
August 31st, 2009, 08:01 PM
I always tip $20, no matter what she charges me. It really sucks because it costs $90 for a cut and color, and then I gotta give her $20 on top of that. I'd be really broke if I got my hair done every month, but I try and stretch it out to every 2-3 months.