PDA

View Full Version : Wurlies: Do You Fix Your Up-Do with Wet Hair or Dry?

JKRBeloved
April 16th, 2008, 03:38 PM
Just wondering if you wurlies or curlies fix your updoes while your hair is wet or dry? I've done most of my updo's in the past after my hair has been dry and smoothed with curlers. But I'd like to try some of the gorgeous wavey looks I see around here. Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

spidermom
April 16th, 2008, 03:40 PM
I do it dry and after I've combed out my hair most of the time. I've noticed that if I secure my hair up or braid it when it's wet/damp, the tangles get compressed into knots. I'll often twirl the parts that fall out of my up-do with lightly gelled, wet fingers to encourage curl/wave. That works pretty well.

khyricat
April 16th, 2008, 03:44 PM
I voted dry, but its not totally true, I will sometimes use wet allowing tools in summer to put up hair that has dried, been detangled and then misted until damp so I can have the cooling effect on the back of my neck.....

the loose pieces are pretty to me, and if they escape great, I leave them be, and if not, thats ok too...

I MOSTLY braid when hair is greasy/dirty only becase I don't like the flyaways as much then.. not sure how to handle mom and her anti grease/dirt stuff and the braided updo I want to wear to my cousins wedding, but I figure I have a few months, I may just oil it and make it look like gel with the oil/aloe that day.. I know while I'm around mom it will get daily WO'ed but probably no more poo bar than it does at home, if not LESS than at home...

LeaM07
April 16th, 2008, 04:08 PM
I voted damp and very wet, because those are the most frequent (although I guess I could have added the other two also, since my hair is sometimes dry-ish when I redo a 'do).

I shower at night and scrunchie bun while my hair is still fairly wet (I squeeze dry with a towel, but it doesn't do much). In the morning, it's still damp, which (with a bit of AVG) gives me just enough manageability for an updo. If I let it dry completely, my updos tend to be frizzy and I have a harder time getting them to "stick".

I don't do wurly updos, though. I love them, but I can't get them to look casual-messy, like they're supposed to. Just fresh-out-of-bed messy. :silly:

zift
April 16th, 2008, 05:58 PM
I cannot do updoes with even a little water or dampness.It has to be completely dry. But well now I can't do any updos anyhow:rolleyes:

Madam Librarian
April 16th, 2008, 06:41 PM
I like to wear my hair down, so updos usually happen on dry hair that is too dirty/messy to wear down another day, but not dirty enough to warrant another wash just yet.

In the summer, I am a lot more willing to do wet updos, but that is the exception rather than the rule.

I need hair to be totally dry or still quite wet in order to comb through and put up. If it's half dried, my hair will snarl something awful if I mess with it.

pariate
April 16th, 2008, 06:47 PM
I do them dry because very often I can't predict what my hair will look like when it's finished drying - if I put it up while it was damp or wet it might not look as good as I'd hoped once it's dried! Does that make sense?!

DotDotDot
April 16th, 2008, 06:50 PM
I voted for all three except very wet. My hair is in an updo at all times, dry or wet. That doesn't seem to affect the level of curliness.

CurlyOne
April 16th, 2008, 07:05 PM
My hair is usually wet. Straight out of the shower it has very few knots, as it dries it kinks its self up and gets plenty of knots in it.

lookingglass
April 16th, 2008, 09:42 PM
I need a "both" option! I usually go to work on a wash day, so it is very wet. Next day is always dry! I ALWAYS wear my hair up to work in some way or the other. The only time it is totally down is when I'm home.

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 09:56 PM
To actually be able to wear it to work or something, I start with it basically towel-dry. Pulled into a bun this way, it just looks like straight hair. Once it has been dried down and curly, then all bets are off as far as putting it up without getting some seriously weird shapes and lumps going on.

ilovelonghair
April 17th, 2008, 03:44 AM
Stupid question: what are wurlies?

thetokenlady
April 17th, 2008, 04:56 AM
Wurlies are those whose hair is a bit more than wavy, but not quite curly. Usually in the 2c/3a range.

I style my hair damp, because if I do it dry I get a lovely frizzy halo escaping and it doesn't hold as well.

helynhighwater
April 17th, 2008, 10:02 AM
I'm more a wavy than a wurlie, but I voted anyway :p I don't style until my hair is dry, in part because like Madam Librarian, my hair will tangle like crazy in it's half-dried state, but mostly because if it goes up while it's wet, it won't dry except on the very outside edges. I could wear a bun all day and it would still be wet when it came down that evening.

shell78
April 18th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I voted for almost dry. I typically wear my hair down to enjoy my curls, and consider putting it up on 3rd day hair. It needs combing through at this point so I'll spray it down with my conditioner + water mix and then use a bit of jojoba oil on top, then comb through and style.

LittleOrca
March 16th, 2009, 11:20 PM
I try not to comb my hair when its wet, but when it's damp I find its perfect to comb and style.

Kina
March 17th, 2009, 10:50 AM
I do them dry because very often I can't predict what my hair will look like when it's finished drying - if I put it up while it was damp or wet it might not look as good as I'd hoped once it's dried! Does that make sense?!

very much. I can't do my hair up unless it's dry.

i did today with semi damp hair because I was running late, and had to take it back down in the office to allow it to dry. My clip decided that it would not hold in my hair until it dried.

I got some strange looks when I collected the shed hairs, as well. I'm saving them for a henna test, since I really don't want to cut any part of my hair.

Gutterfayrie
March 17th, 2009, 11:55 AM
I voted damp because on a wash day, thats how it goes up :D
On a non-wash day, then dry.

Aisha25
March 17th, 2009, 12:01 PM
Dry with oil only. I cannot do wet or damp at all,it hurts toooo much.

Xandergrammy
March 17th, 2009, 12:02 PM
I voted totally dry, but I'll be watching this thread with interest. Good question, JKR!!!

Xandergrammy
March 17th, 2009, 02:22 PM
Stupid question: what are wurlies?

I'm a wurly!!!

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g6/Xandergrammy/The%20Next%20One%20Thousand/And%20Another%20Thousand/DSCN0043-3.jpg

Fayejay
March 18th, 2009, 12:22 AM
I fix my up-dos with slightly damp almost dry hair. That way I know what my hair is doing. If I'm going to braid them I prefer to do that wet.

Copasetic
March 18th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Normally I put my hair up when it is very wet. I take a shower, comb through to get rid of knots and excess moisture, and then put it up.

Fiorentina
April 30th, 2023, 03:38 PM
I voted: Totally Dry

lapis_lazuli
May 6th, 2023, 06:09 PM
I put my hair up when it's as dry as possible; it's painful otherwise. Now, the short pieces that hang in front of my ears I wet down so that they dry together in a soft ringlet. These pieces always fall out of my bun anyway and can look pretty messy if I don't pull them out beforehand and "style" them (as in run them under water, which resets them to their natural pattern).