PDA

View Full Version : Individual hairs with tiny kinks in the ends?

Maddy25
August 31st, 2009, 09:52 AM
Does anyone know what this means?
Ive been S&Ding and I dont find any spilts ever, but I noticed some random hair have a harsh kink right near the tip, does this mean its going to become a split? Should I just snip it right above?

AnneAdeline
August 31st, 2009, 09:57 AM
I think that those are damage, too. I snip them when I S&D, right above the bend.

handsclean
August 31st, 2009, 10:03 AM
yep, those are splits. I chop 'em off.

RancheroTheBee
August 31st, 2009, 11:52 AM
They're damage, usually from tangling. So yes, trim them off. They tend to make more tangles, and more little kinks along the way.

LadyLongLocks
August 31st, 2009, 12:10 PM
I have those too. They are damage and I cut them off. At least they are near the ends only.

Anje
August 31st, 2009, 12:40 PM
I get those. They're either the remnants of little knotty tangles, or they're the cause of them. I find that when I have a lot, I tangle a lot more, so I S&D them off.

I do seem to get them more when my hair is less moisturized, and I'm not very good at S&Ding the whole bunch. So it might be possible that you can get rid of them with sufficient moisture.

Fractalsofhair
August 31st, 2009, 12:59 PM
Huh. I have a few hairs where it's all 90 degree marks up the side, and they lay down fine, so I get confused by that. If you want to trim them and they're only on the ends, it's probably a good idea.

RuthieAnne
August 31st, 2009, 01:04 PM
I have those after every wash, I find that if I BBB the tail and finger comb gently the kinks come out. I S&D all the damaged ones of course.

Eskarine
September 1st, 2009, 09:35 AM
I'm glad you asked about this, Maddy25! I did my first S&D in years yesterday and noticed a batch of those little kinks, but very few obvious split ends. I wasn't sure what to make of them either.

I think I should probably trim them off like many have suggested, but I'm tempted to give it a little time with a new conditioner and my old plastic brush tucked away where I won't use it.

Cherry_Sprinkle
September 1st, 2009, 09:57 AM
In my hair they usually lead to breakage, so I snip them. :)