PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a French Twist without looking like a conehead?

rhosyn_du
April 16th, 2008, 03:21 PM
Okay, so, here's my problem. When I twist my gathered hair upward, I start to develop a pouf of hair just at the top of my head in the center. The more I twist, the bigger the pouf. I can do a Peacock Twist no problem, since a single, short twist doesn't cause a problem, and when my hair was shorter, I could do a French Twist with only a little pouf, but as my hair gets longer and my twist goes farther up the back of my head, the bigger the pouf gets. I can no longer make a French Twist without ending up looking like a conehead (the SNL variety, not someone who uses 'cones)!

The most annoying thing is that I can tell what's causing it, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to fix it.. Basically the top center pieces of hair are being caught in the twist at the gather point, which is fairly low on my head, but as I twist upward, the caught part moves up the back of my head, leaving the pulled back pieces of those hairs substantially looser than the surrounding hairs. Does anyone have suggestions for how to avoid this?

My hair is only barely past shoulder length, so a Frech Twist is one of the few updos I can do without substantial pinning to keep it in place, and it makes me really sad that I've had to stop wearing them. :(

Melisande
April 16th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I found the solution for this problem on the Ficcare website - they have a foolproof video on the French twist.

First, you fold your hair over your left hand (for righties), upwards. Then you twist it "double". Can't explain it, go and have a look at the video!

I wanted to make the French twist for AGES and the usual ponytail-based technique didn't do it for me. But the folding technique - thundering success. I wear a French twist now nearly daily!

rhosyn_du
April 16th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Melisande, but my hair isn't long enough for that technique, yet. If I fold my hair up over my hand like that, I've only got about two inches of hair past my hand, not near enough to double like that. I'll definitely remember that for when my hair gets longer, though.

ReadingRenee
April 16th, 2008, 03:57 PM
I have the conehead problem too. In fact just this morning I was struggling with that. My solution has always been to just take a hairpin and pin that pouf down into the twist but Im going to go check out the ficarre website now.

Thanks for the tip! :)

pietri
April 16th, 2008, 04:01 PM
*Raises hand* I tend to be a conehead too :D.

I can sometimes (but not always) fix it by gathering the hair again low and making sure I twist the hair while holding it away from my head, sort of at a ninety degree angle to the back of my head.

If I'm too clumsy to twist the hair around enough I just cheat and add a hairclip / bobby pin to flatten the coneshaped strands a bit. Or I decide on another updo ;)

Elenna
April 16th, 2008, 07:18 PM
I tried this method of French twist, and it completely gets my length inside. With two tone hair color that's an improvement. Yaaaaaay! :D

CurlyNinja
April 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM
This happens to me all the time! Thanks for that tip about the ficcare video though, It really helped even if I can't get that top loop neat looking yet.

akurah
April 16th, 2008, 09:32 PM
Here's what I do:

Gather hair into a ponytail that is slightly to the side of center.
Slide hands down the length of hair, holding hair back behind your head. You'll end up holding the ends of your hair with your hands, and the hair will be parallel to the floor.
Twist the very ends of your hair in the direction you want the french twist to go. Try to twist as little of the length as possible.
Fold the ends into an upside down u shape. Hold the top of the u, and begin to twist the hair inwards towards your scalp.

This method is probably best secured by ficcare.

Masara
April 17th, 2008, 12:42 AM
I have the same problem. Plus, for some reason, when I twist, I end up going sideways and end up with a horizental/diagonal twist. Pani_Mniszek (I think) mention a way of getting round it by doing the twist upside down. Instead of a low pony and twisting up, you do a high pony and twist down. it's solved both of my problems.

spidermom
April 17th, 2008, 08:32 AM
I put one hand on top of my head to hold the hair flat as I finish the twisting motion with the other hand.

rhubarbarin
April 17th, 2008, 08:38 AM
This happens to me too. I just let it pouf until I've secured the twist with a comb, then I grab the extra, tuck it down so it looks like part of the twist and pin it with a hair pin.. I actually prefer to do it this way, I can get the top of the twist to look smoother and better if I can adjust the top at the end..