PDA

View Full Version : Another crunchy ends thread

Oskimosa
August 31st, 2009, 07:31 AM
I see alot of comments and threads from users about crunchy ends. I usually pay attention to them to see if I might try anything suggested. Well, lately, I have tried some of the things I have seen repeatedly but I STILL HAVE CRUNCHY ENDS.

Ive:
--trimmed
--clarified
--oiled before, after, during a shower in all varying amounts
--tried shea butter
--tried coconut, avocado, shea, almond and pistachio oils.
--tried going back to sulfates and cones

My hair is just so unhappy with everything I try! And I try not to do something different every day of the week; I try waiting longer to shampoo. My roots are as happy as can be without sulfates. I use shikakai, aritha, and sometimes a homemade poo bar. I clarify with ALS. I stopped using any conditioner, even cone-free, because I have a suspicion that the high amounts of alcohol in them are drying my hair out worse.

HELP!!

HairColoredHair
August 31st, 2009, 07:35 AM
Most conditioners don't have drying alcohols in them....

If you're thinking of cetyl or stearyl alcohol, those are actually conditioners...

BlackfootHair
August 31st, 2009, 07:37 AM
Usually the alcohols you see listed on the ingredient list are fatty alcohols and are moisturizing.

My hair didn't like shikakai and aritha. I know others get along fabulously with it though. Have you tried damp buning? Sometimes when my ends feel wonky, cliping my hair up with the ends in helps. I use shampoo and conditioner regularly, with cones, and my ends were feeling gross recently. I started oiling more and it helped a lot. That and clipping it up. I was wearing a pony tail a lot, and I don't think that was helping my hair stay moisturized like damp buning does.

I hope your hair starts behaving for you soon!

spidermom
August 31st, 2009, 07:39 AM
Flat ironing sucks the moisture right out of some hair types (like mine). I see you have a sig pic with flat-ironed hair, so that might be your trouble.

I avoid heat and CWC with diluted shampoo, leaving a quarter-sized dollop of conditioner in my hair (at your length, probably pinto bean size would do). I haven't had a dried-out ends problem in years, and I have to wash or at least rinse my hair every day because of working out.

Oskimosa
August 31st, 2009, 07:46 AM
Thanks for the replies :)

So far, my hair is still un-bunnable. It's too thick and layered. I cannot get it into a bun yet. As for the flat ironing, I really only do it every 6 months or so. But, when I first cut it back in jan 08, I was ironing it almost every day for the first few months. I have trimmed since then, but maybe some damage is still there.

I didn't realize the alcohols could be moisturizing... :o I thought all alcohol was drying by nature. Still, conditioners break my back and shoulders out so bad, I've shied away from them in lieu of oils.

spidermom
August 31st, 2009, 07:49 AM
Oh dear - too bad about the conditioners. I use both conditioner and oil. The few times that I don't, my hair turns into a witchy, frizzy, fly-away mess.

I allow my stylist to flat-iron my hair about once per year; she likes it that way for some reason.

butterflycayton
August 31st, 2009, 08:01 AM
[quote=Oskimosa;746597]Thanks for the replies :)

So far, my hair is still un-bunnable. It's too thick and layered. I cannot get it into a bun yet.

Your hair looks a little longer than mine(its about 20inches now) I have recently learned about the sock bun on here. They are fabulous!!! Thats the only way my hair will stay in a bun because I also have layers.

BlackfootHair
August 31st, 2009, 08:03 AM
I've started clipping my hair up in the shower while washing the rest of me. I wash and condition my hair first. With it up in a clip it doesn't get soap from the body wash on the ends, and it lessens the back break outs too.

Merewen
August 31st, 2009, 09:42 AM
I know "crunchy hair" seems like not enough moisture, but I had crunchy ends for a while recently and moisture DID NOT WORK. What finally did work was when I slathered an egg yolk on my hair - it needed protein. Maybe it's worth a shot?

cocolover
August 31st, 2009, 10:09 AM
I have been dealing with the crunchy ends issue for awhile now, feel free to read my blog to hear my whining and my ups and downs. I am getting a lot closer now to find a good solution though. I have realized my ends get build up SUPER fast, from pretty much everything. I've given up oiling my ends completely for now, as I tried sooooo many oils and they all gave me crunchy ends, on damp or dry hair, didn't matter. For my ends, it seems like a complex equation :o Your ends might be the same way, I only offer encouragement to keep searching for what your ends like. Also, don't go to trimming unless you have to. I've trimmed twice, just microtrims, but after getting some softness now, I realize I probably didn't need to do the trims :( I sypmathize, it is so frustrating. Maybe try some of the nature's conditioners, herbs, catnip, hibiscus....they shouldn't make your back break out. Just keep searching and trying.

aisling
August 31st, 2009, 10:31 AM
Are you sure you actually got rid of any buildup if you used an ALS shampoo? Perhaps something a little harsher, a real clarifying shampoo would be good for you.

loyaboya
August 31st, 2009, 10:52 AM
I have been using all herbs and oils for a few months now and my ends are crunchy. The rest of my hair is super soft but the curl pattern is getting wimpy. I happened to read the diagnostic thread and had a revelation: I need some protein! I'm gonna grab some Aubreys GPB and see how that works this weekend.

Spring
August 31st, 2009, 01:43 PM
I have been dealing with the crunchy ends issue for awhile now, feel free to read my blog to hear my whining and my ups and downs. I am getting a lot closer now to find a good solution though. I have realized my ends get build up SUPER fast, from pretty much everything. I've given up oiling my ends completely for now, as I tried sooooo many oils and they all gave me crunchy ends, on damp or dry hair, didn't matter. For my ends, it seems like a complex equation :o Your ends might be the same way, I only offer encouragement to keep searching for what your ends like. Also, don't go to trimming unless you have to. I've trimmed twice, just microtrims, but after getting some softness now, I realize I probably didn't need to do the trims :( I sypmathize, it is so frustrating. Maybe try some of the nature's conditioners, herbs, catnip, hibiscus....they shouldn't make your back break out. Just keep searching and trying.

Cocolover, did you try the oils individually or was it combined? When I used one of those combined oil products, there was a drying effect, where as just using one oil at a time such as olive or vegetable was always conditioning. I've used olive oil for years and it has never dried out my hair, but I know it might be too heavy for some hair types. I hope you're able to find out what's causing the problem :flower:

Mutinous
August 31st, 2009, 01:49 PM
Do you dye your hair? (chemically?)

I always did and never had a problem with it, until recently where my eneds have gone crunchy and tangly. I think it's because the ends of your hair end up getting more coats of dye, if you understand what I mean, and eventually it just dies.

heatherdazy
August 31st, 2009, 02:20 PM
conditioners break my back and shoulders out so bad, I've shied away from them in lieu of oils.
Could you flip your head upside down, apply conditioner, pop on a shower cap, flip back up, finish your washing/shaving/showering, flip upside down again to rinse?

Sounds a bit goofy, but easier done than said, I'm sure.

fleurdelis
August 31st, 2009, 03:00 PM
Did you try to use oil as a leave-in? I found that when my hair feels dry and is tangeled, the thing that works the best is to first, put on conditioner, honey and olive oil mix and leave it there for about and hour and/or put some oil as a leave-in. It makes my hiar soft and detangeled.

Anje
August 31st, 2009, 03:34 PM
I get crunchy, sticky ends from too much protein. I'm not sure whether you have proteins in the Indian herb routines, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

As others have pointed out, some alcohols are moisturizing. I really do think you might need some conditioner or something similarly moisturizing. (Oils don't replace conditioner well for me, no matter how much I want them to.) Since it makes your back break out, perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to pull your hair in a ponytail, soak the tail in condish, and put a baggie over it for a while. Rinse your hair in the sink afterward, so it never hits your back.

cocolover
August 31st, 2009, 04:07 PM
I did try them all individually...jojoba, emu, coconut, shea butter, cocoa butter, meadowfoam, camellia, grapeseed, almond, apricot, avacado, castor....you get the picture :) Also, a few combined ones like Africa's best. Olive oil is the least "offensive" to my hair and I can get away with it for the longest. Whatever the product, I just seem to get build up from it FAST, like 2-3 days.... I haven't tried Canola oil, sesame on its own, or rice bran oil, but could really one of them be the ONE oil my hair likes?

Cocolover, did you try the oils individually or was it combined? When I used one of those combined oil products, there was a drying effect, where as just using one oil at a time such as olive or vegetable was always conditioning. I've used olive oil for years and it has never dried out my hair, but I know it might be too heavy for some hair types. I hope you're able to find out what's causing the problem :flower:

Spring
August 31st, 2009, 05:04 PM
I get crunchy, sticky ends from too much protein. I'm not sure whether you have proteins in the Indian herb routines, but I thought I'd toss it out there.

As others have pointed out, some alcohols are moisturizing. I really do think you might need some conditioner or something similarly moisturizing. (Oils don't replace conditioner well for me, no matter how much I want them to.) Since it makes your back break out, perhaps the easiest thing to do would be to pull your hair in a ponytail, soak the tail in condish, and put a baggie over it for a while. Rinse your hair in the sink afterward, so it never hits your back.

Anje, if I use oil without a moisturizer like water first, I don't get the desired effect either. When I mist water or another conditioner and then apply the oil, and place in a braided bun, my hair feels and looks great :p.

Spring
August 31st, 2009, 05:10 PM
I did try them all individually...jojoba, emu, coconut, shea butter, cocoa butter, meadowfoam, camellia, grapeseed, almond, apricot, avacado, castor....you get the picture :) Also, a few combined ones like Africa's best. Olive oil is the least "offensive" to my hair and I can get away with it for the longest. Whatever the product, I just seem to get build up from it FAST, like 2-3 days.... I haven't tried Canola oil, sesame on its own, or rice bran oil, but could really one of them be the ONE oil my hair likes?

:) Have you tried to moisturize your ends first with water or conditioner before applying an oil that you know won't dry the ends? I know something's got to work for you, I think it's a matter of singling out the culprit, one item at a time ;)

adiapalic
August 31st, 2009, 05:59 PM
The crunchy ends are likely to have something to do with protein. I experienced them when my hair had too much protein--coconut oil didn't help either. I stopped using the leave-in conditioner with protein, and made sure my products didn't contain them. My ends are fine now.

rhubarbarin
August 31st, 2009, 06:31 PM
My ends are crunchy a lot too. It's not because of anything I haven't done (my hair hates protein, it loves moisture and oils but the ends don't retain it for long), it's because they are damaged from a variety of past mistakes..

i have a feeling once you've trimmed off every bit that was regularly flat-ironed, this will pass.

There are ways to use conditioner in the shower without getting it all over your back. You could bend forward, pull all hair over your shoulders so it is hanging straight down and not touching any skin, and only condition and rinse the length and ends while still bent forward.

sunnydayalways
August 31st, 2009, 06:40 PM
What is dollop contioner? I used egg for contioner for past two weeks. And my ends looks much heathier. :o

cocolover
August 31st, 2009, 07:30 PM
I would mist my ends with water that had a squirt of conditioner in it, then put the oil on....still crunchy! My few times of soft ends have been when I have clarified and then stepped completely away from oils. However, my hair is more flyaway and not nearly as shiny without oil on it...which I don't like as well. Right now I am trying out BWC leave-in, no oils, much less crunchy, still feels slightly dry though. Maybe lots of SMTs, really hitting the catnip hard (I've only done it a few times) ????

:) Have you tried to moisturize your ends first with water or conditioner before applying an oil that you know won't dry the ends? I know something's got to work for you, I think it's a matter of singling out the culprit, one item at a time ;)

Spring
August 31st, 2009, 08:51 PM
Awe man :(, ....but on the bright, you sound very determined :) so I know your answer is around the corner...

cocolover
August 31st, 2009, 09:50 PM
I know, like a rubik's cube or something.... :) But, like you said, I am determined!

Awe man :(, ....but on the bright, you sound very determined :) so I know your answer is around the corner...

Deborah
August 31st, 2009, 11:38 PM
A number of ladies who wash with herbs add methi powder into their mix. I haven't bought any yet, but apparently it is a much better conditioner than just amla. I plan to buy some this week. Maybe it would help you. :)

Another thought: I have success with shikakai, but found aritha (soapnuts) far too drying. This could be adding to your problem. Maybe drop the aritha.

Here's yet another consideration. I know you have tried the various oils, but it might help if you use one of them a little differently. After washing, if my ends feel a bit dry, it helps my hair if I put a tiny bit of either shea nut butter or jojoba on my palms, then gently stroke it over the bottom portion of my hair while it is still pretty wet from washing. Spraying a mist on is not the same thing. I think the hair has to be wet from being freshly washed.

In any case, I hope you find a good solution soon! :)

Oskimosa
September 3rd, 2009, 10:08 AM
Thanks again everyone who pitched in to help me out! :) I did clarify with SLS instead of ALS and my ends felt better. I oiled with grapeseed oil on the length and shea on the ends. My hair was soft for a little bit but got crunchy. So I think it has something to do with my oiling without conditioning first. Shame, because I hate using conditioners, I just want to use something natural. But my ends are splitting like mad lately. I will try some deep treatments and/or protein treatments in addition to some cone-free conditioners. Thanks!

Also: Deborah, I didn't realize aritha was soapnuts!! I did think the pic on the box looked just like them though :P I will use just shikakai next time. Thank you!