PDA

View Full Version : soft and silky v. volume

mommy101405
April 16th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Since finding LHC I am been messing with my wash/ condition routine. Also have virtually eliminated heat styling. I have found that my hair is wonderfully soft and silky but what happened to my volume?

amaiaisabella
April 16th, 2008, 04:26 PM
I feel you! My mom tells me that my hair is "so flat." But it feels so gooooood :)

missy60
April 16th, 2008, 04:30 PM
You could try running your fingers from underneath you hair against your scalp while its drying. That always helps my hair to sort of shake it away from my scalp.

Lady Godiva
April 16th, 2008, 04:45 PM
Type 1 hair often is "flat." That's the way it is when healthy. :) Usually we 1s have to use lots of sticky goop to add body, or we have to rough up the cuticle (tease hair) to get volume. Neither is good for the hair.

I feel you! My mom tells me that my hair is "so flat." But it feels so gooooood :)
Rejoice in your hair type. Tell those who complain (such a worthy thing to complain about...:rolleyes: ) that you *want* flat hair, and watch their jaws drop in disbelief.

(Can you tell that I've been 'round and 'round on this subject?) ;)

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I was going to ask your drying routine. A lot of people seem to air dry while sleeping. If that is the case, perhaps some sort of very loose updo on top of the head while you are sleeping and drying. Loose, though. Too tight a pony and it might come out "dented," too tight a bun or braid and it might not dry.

amaiaisabella
April 16th, 2008, 04:55 PM
Type 1 hair often is "flat." That's the way it is when healthy. :) Usually we 1s have to use lots of sticky goop to add body, or we have to rough up the cuticle (tease hair) to get volume. Neither is good for the hair.

Rejoice in your hair type. Tell those who complain (such a worthy thing to complain about...:rolleyes: ) that you *want* flat hair, and watch their jaws drop in disbelief.

(Can you tell that I've been 'round and 'round on this subject?) ;)

Oh, it's not a bad place to be, only my ends go flyaway and piecey :mad: I definitely do NOT like that.

I gave up oiling one time because I was afraid of color fading and BOY did it make a difference! My hair is so much better with oil.

mommy101405
April 16th, 2008, 04:56 PM
I was going to ask your drying routine. A lot of people seem to air dry while sleeping. If that is the case, perhaps some sort of very loose updo on top of the head while you are sleeping and drying. Loose, though. Too tight a pony and it might come out "dented," too tight a bun or braid and it might not dry.

I shower in the morning and let it air dry. I'm a SAHM so I'm lucky that I can let it take the time to dry. If we are going to playgroup or something I just leave it wet. Once its dry its usually in a pony tail.

Um Enis
April 16th, 2008, 05:03 PM
I've had all length hair. As it gets longer, the "flat" will turn to "sleek"

Alaskanheart
April 16th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Not combing until dry has helped me gain volume and wave, maybe you can try that.Also mabe scrunching a bit while drying might help.

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 05:05 PM
I shower in the morning and let it air dry. I'm a SAHM so I'm lucky that I can let it take the time to dry. If we are going to playgroup or something I just leave it wet. Once its dry its usually in a pony tail.

Bonus, you could probably try very loose top of head ponytail while it dries. You may not want to rock this at playgroup, but if it works out well for you it could be an option for the days you can be at home while it dries. I don't recommend this for hair that is already mid-back or longer though. Or really anything (thickness, etc.) that would make it not want to stay up like that without making it so tight that hair is permanently dented.

amaiaisabella
April 16th, 2008, 05:14 PM
I've had all length hair. As it gets longer, the "flat" will turn to "sleek"

You give me hope when you say that! :)

zift
April 16th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Tell those who complain (such a worthy thing to complain about...:rolleyes: ) that you *want* flat hair, and watch their jaws drop in disbelief.

Hey I want flat hair for real! I've tried all my life to have flat hair actually,no need for disbelief:lol: But as flat as it goes is still wavy and well not flat. And that's until it rains:scared:

Um Enis
April 17th, 2008, 06:06 AM
You give me hope when you say that! :)

Its true. Take a look at some of the media pics of one length straight hair. Its very sleek (ie flat) . But I do remember... when your hair comes to your shoulders or less it kinda lies flat against your chin. Ugh. I remember that well. I used to blow dry a lot when it was short!

Also the very loose ponytail on top of your head while it dries trick does work while its shorter. Just don't mess with your hair too much when its wet... its damaging. Wait until it's just damp.

As it gets longer you won't need to anymore.

Anlbe
April 17th, 2008, 07:02 AM
If I want volume I dry my hair in a doughnut right on top of my head or rag it to get curls (the latter sometimes goes a bit over the top and looks like its out of the eighties). However most of the time I want my hair to be as soft silky as I can get it.

amaiaisabella
April 17th, 2008, 08:51 AM
Its true. Take a look at some of the media pics of one length straight hair. Its very sleek (ie flat) . But I do remember... when your hair comes to your shoulders or less it kinda lies flat against your chin. Ugh. I remember that well. I used to blow dry a lot when it was short!

Also the very loose ponytail on top of your head while it dries trick does work while its shorter. Just don't mess with your hair too much when its wet... its damaging. Wait until it's just damp.

As it gets longer you won't need to anymore.

I'm definitely going to try the loose ponytail today when I CO. I have a cloth scrunchie that won't hurt my hair.

I usually comb my fingers through my hair when it's wet to straighten it, but sometimes it will break. I had no idea that it was so damaging. :(

Melisande
April 17th, 2008, 09:53 AM
I'm a 1a/b and I actually discovered the opposite: after I ditched the cones and brought on the ACV rinse, my hair began to look fuller. I even discovered some tiny little waves. I paid for the added volume with a small but noticeable decrease in shine and softness.

I play between the two extremes all the time. When I want fuller hair, I use Lush BIG shampoo (rarely but it really makes a difference!), I lift the roots when my hair is drying with little clips. I wear buns at night for the same purpose.

I found cassia and dabur vatika oil increased the volume of my hair, too. Keeping it slightly damp helps, too, especially when I mist my nape hair lightly the flat back of my head is a bit fuller. Wheat protein in the spritz leave in helps to fluff my hair up a bit, too.

Still, it will always be - well, flat. But then I don't have much frizz and my updos are sleek and I can do them earlier than full-haired people at the same length.

I was always sure the ladies with the full, wavy or curly heads had it all, and my eyes nearly popped out when I read here for the first time about problems called "poufiness" or "frizz" or "unruly hair". So they have problems, too? I couldn't believe it.

I try now to concentrate on the strong points of my hair type, the silky feel, the shine, the gentle movement.

mommy101405
April 17th, 2008, 10:58 AM
I guess I'll appreciate it more when it gets longer right now with all the layers and the length it just sorta looks ratty. I keep seeing super cute bobs. I keep telling myself "You will not cut your hair. Your will not cut your hair."

DarkChocolate
April 17th, 2008, 11:32 AM
My hair is soft and silky too but it doesn't have volume.
I would prefer soft and silky.

Anje
April 17th, 2008, 05:13 PM
You might manage to get a little volume with aloe vera gel (use the clear stuff!) worked through wet hair, especially at the roots. But for the most part, you'll just have to insist that it's "sleek" not flat. It's not all bad, either. I like the way straight flat hair looks.