PDA

View Full Version : Hairsticks

Monkey962
August 30th, 2009, 04:21 PM
Where do you get them? I'm starting to practice updos and buns and such (with pretty good success :)), but I've nothing to hold them with. I'm looking for actual stores - not websites, given that I don't have the ability to order anything off the internet.

That being said, I don't necessarily have to have bona fide 'hair sticks' I could use short knitting needles (even though I don't knit), and I was even thinking of using bicycle spokes (trimmed and rounded down, obviously).

So in other words: Where do you get your hairsticks, or what do you use?

GlassEyes
August 30th, 2009, 04:32 PM
I don't shop there, but I think I've seen them in Claires. Since we're in the same state, if you can find one in a mall near you, it probably has a similar stock.

Another good option are chopsticks, but you may have to cut them a bit. You can get good ones in a few culinary stores, I think, but a better option I would think would be an asian market.

Also, I think Les uses bicycle spokes as hairsticks, to there's at least one other person. :D

jasper
August 30th, 2009, 04:33 PM
I picked up my first ones at an ULTA Beauty store, I think. They were plastic ones. I think any beauty supply store is a likely place. My mom painted some chopsticks for me as a gift. Chopsticks work well as long as they are very smooth so they don't snag. A pencil works too- if it's not sharpened too pointy ;)

Monkey962
August 30th, 2009, 04:53 PM
I don't shop there, but I think I've seen them in Claires.

Eugh, I don't think I could stand going in there, let alone buying anything.

GlassEyes
August 30th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Eugh, I don't think I could stand going in there, let alone buying anything.
Hahahahhaa! :p I'm not vehemently against the store, but I know what you mean. xD;

Monkey962
August 30th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I picked up my first ones at an ULTA Beauty store, I think. They were plastic ones. I think any beauty supply store is a likely place. There's a place called 'Aveda' or something in my town. It looks like a beauty place, but I dunno if they'd sell any sort of hair accessory.
A pencil works too- if it's not sharpened too pointy ;) That's what I've been using up until now. I was having trouble getting it in, when I realized it was snagging my hair, so I wanna change to proper hairsticks.

masterofmidgets
August 30th, 2009, 06:15 PM
I have a bunch that I've made myself by sanding down 1/4" diameter wooden dowels into a smooth point, painting with wood varnish, and decorating with small jewelry charms I bought at the craft store. They're cute and pretty sturdy, even if they aren't quite as nice as the ones I've bought online. It's a really fun weekend project too.

UncommonTart
August 30th, 2009, 06:16 PM
You could always make hairsticks. When I first started out making my own sticks I used wooden chopsticks, the cheap kind that come in multi packs at the grocery store. They can be a bit rough, but you can smooth them out with sandpaper. They're great for painting and you can put beads on top or make your own toppers out of polymer clay.

There's a thread on making your own hairtoys here, somewhere...

ETA: Here it is! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=131&highlight=homemade+hairtoys)

marikamt
August 30th, 2009, 06:21 PM
Try a beading/ jewelry making store.... more often than not, they sell "blanks"... which look like just plain wooden/ carved or metal sticks (no beads or ornamentation)....

If they don;t carry them, they may also be willing to order them for you..... most of these places don't mind special orders....

shadowclaw
August 30th, 2009, 06:45 PM
Now and then I see cheap plastic ones in Walmart or drug stores. Sally Beauty Supply has a small selections of pretty hair clips and such, including hair sticks, but mostly they just have fake diamonds or other gems on them. Other than that, I don't see them much in stores.

I like a lot of the ones I've seen online, but they are a little pricey, but that's because they are handcrafted. I've decided that since I don't have a lot of money right now to spend on all the pretty hairsticks I've been drooling over, that I'll decorate my own. I know you can make them from dowels or chopsticks. I ordered "blanks" from an online store.

Also, you can try using colored pencils or paintbrushes. Those colorful "little kid" type brushes would work well, I think. I saw a pack of 10 or so for $1.20 at AC Moore.