PDA

View Full Version : Is it pointless...

mommy101405
April 16th, 2008, 02:45 PM
To use a clarifying conditioner followed by a deep conditioning treatment? Is that just going to add buildup that I just took out?

mugglemomof3
April 16th, 2008, 02:49 PM
I actually do this all the time and don't think it adds more buildup than any other conditioner. But my hair is coarse and very dry/damaged due to coloring, so it might be different.

Anje
April 16th, 2008, 02:52 PM
I'm not personally convinced that clarifying conditioners actually clarify. I think they're just meant to be paired with clarifying shampoos. (Of course, if you add baking soda to them, they'll clarify, but YMMV.)

I do think it's generally a good idea to use a good heavy conditioner after you clarify. Your hair typically comes out of the process dried out, and because you've stripped several weeks worth of buildup off, what little buildup you get from conditioning again isn't going to be nearly as concerning as making sure you get a healthy dose of moisture.

HairColoredHair
April 16th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Clarifying conditioners don't really clarify. They're just the pH balance to the clarifying shampoo.

But, then, I deep condition after every clarify. My hair needs it... it doesn't like being stripped.

Legend
April 16th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I do this and it's fine. I actually think a good clarifying shampoo helps the conditioning process. I just don't do it too often (about once a month). I always deep condish to restore my hair after the harsh detergents.

Carolyn
April 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM
Are you CO'ing with a clarifying conditioner or are you shampooing with a clarifying shampoo? If you are CO'ing with the clarifying conditioner, you aren't clarifying your hair. The conditioner is just a conditioner made to go along with a clarifying shampoo. It's not going to do anything more than any other conditioner we would use for CO washing. If you are using a clarifying shampoo then you really need to put back the moisture and a good heavy conditioner is the thing to use. A rich moisturizing conditioner without cones should not build up fast.

mommy101405
April 16th, 2008, 08:05 PM
Are you CO'ing with a clarifying conditioner or are you shampooing with a clarifying shampoo? If you are CO'ing with the clarifying conditioner, you aren't clarifying your hair. The conditioner is just a conditioner made to go along with a clarifying shampoo. It's not going to do anything more than any other conditioner we would use for CO washing. If you are using a clarifying shampoo then you really need to put back the moisture and a good heavy conditioner is the thing to use. A rich moisturizing conditioner without cones should not build up fast.

Its a clarifying shampoo. Thanks for the advice!

mommy2one05
April 17th, 2008, 12:37 PM
so I see that is different for everybody but some say to clarify once a week or two and some say once a month...I guess it also depends on what products you use in your hair
now if you color your hair then will a clarifying shampoo ruin your color?

Cinnamon Hair
April 17th, 2008, 12:49 PM
I'm not personally convinced that clarifying conditioners actually clarify. I think they're just meant to be paired with clarifying shampoos.

I agree with Anje, there's no such thing as a clarifying conditioner unless it's being used in a scalp CO. Condition has its limits, and removing buildup is one of them. You could probably use it to CO your scalp, rinse out a small amount of oil, or help remove *some* chlorine after swimming, but not to completely remove buildup. For that you need to shampoo, which isn't such an evil thing when done sparingly.
Before deep conditioning I would suggest you either shampoo the scalp and let suds run down the length or shampoo the length itself by gently squeezing shampoo through it. Then you will have a fresh canvas to give a deep treatment that added boost.

aisling
April 17th, 2008, 01:20 PM
so I see that is different for everybody but some say to clarify once a week or two and some say once a month...I guess it also depends on what products you use in your hair
now if you color your hair then will a clarifying shampoo ruin your color?

I can't answer the colouring question but how often to clarify depends on how your hair reacts to different products, what kind of products you use and how often you wash. Once a week sounds way too often to me. If I mainly CO, I need to clarify about once a month and I wash 2-3 times a week. I'm usually cone free as well but other stuff also builds up, things like oils and conditioning agents in conditioners.

Signs of buildup are dry, tangling ends, sometimes called "velcro ends" that sticks together whatever you do and your ends won't feel well conditioned wahtever you do. Another sign is stringy, lank hair that never looks or feels clean.