PDA

View Full Version : Pics of my fine hair, don't laugh (LOL)

yellowchariot
August 29th, 2009, 09:30 PM
So after doing some research, and listening to some advice, tips, and doing a little bit of my own stuff to my hair, I've almost got my scalp to not show completely, but I still need to try different stuff!
Remember I'm new here, so please go easy on me! :o
I washed my hair with Pro-V full/thickness 2in1, then I used a Pro-V conditioner. I applied Aussie strong hold mousse and blow dried my hair upside down, then all over to one side, opposite side, back and forth, trying to disrupt my follicles (if that made any sense :confused:)

*WARNING, I LOOK LIKE AN IDIOT IN THE THESE PICS* Disclaimer: You've been warned!

Hair parted on the left
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/08-29-09_1225.jpg?t=1251602547

Top View
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/08-29-09_1226.jpg?t=1251602619

Hair combed straight back
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/08-29-09_1228.jpg?t=1251602668

Side View
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/08-29-09_1230.jpg?t=1251602700

Back View of Top
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/08-29-09_1232.jpg?t=1251602736

Parted on the Right
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc166/pix50/08-29-09_1234.jpg?t=1251602778

P.S. I'm still up for any suggestions! Thanks To All for your help! :)

Ven
August 29th, 2009, 09:36 PM
I cannot offer any tips, but I can say that your hair looks wonderfully soft and I just love love love your goatee!

~Ven

spidermom
August 29th, 2009, 09:37 PM
It's on the thin side for sure, but the hair you have looks good. I will often flip my hair from right to left or the opposite to get a little more volume on the top; it's a good technique.

You might try using a little gel or mousse on your fingers to get a little lift at the roots and then "head-banging" from time to time as it dries for more volume. I use blow-drying to get my hair to look sleeker and smoother, which seems the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

kwaniesiam
August 29th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Your hair looks a lot like mine does. Check the first few entries of my blog for a hair timeline. What I've found works for me is cone-free products, daily washing, occasional ACV rinses, and shampoo bars. It gives me some volume to my hair because it is very fine, thin, and straight. If it gets oily, my scalp shows through more. I usually part my hair off to the right a bit, as it looks thinnest in the center and to the left, then I put it back in a braid. I always part when I have an updo where it is the least thin looking, because when all slicked straight back after a while I have scalp cleavage. I had a lot of hair loss due to hypothyroidism though.

fwiw, I don't think your hair looks that bad. Is this due to thinning from age or is there possibly another reason causing it?

ericthegreat
August 29th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Well on the plus side, the quality of your hair is very good........it looks to be very soft and the 5th photo shows the shine on your hair better.

On the not so plus side, judging from where your scalp is showing thro I would say(and I mean this in the best way not trying to get you down or anything) that it appears that you are starting to have thinning right behind your hairline. The only way to know for sure is to consult with a doctor, preferably a dermatologist or better yet a trichologist if you can find one.

ericthegreat
August 29th, 2009, 10:07 PM
And no, you don't look like an idiot LOL. You are quite the handsome guy, and I doubt that you don't already know that yourself. :)

yellowchariot
August 29th, 2009, 10:35 PM
I cannot offer any tips, but I can say that your hair looks wonderfully soft and I just love love love your goatee!

~Ven

Thanks Ven! Maybe I should shave my goatee and weave it on top of my head! lol ;)

It's on the thin side for sure, but the hair you have looks good. I will often flip my hair from right to left or the opposite to get a little more volume on the top; it's a good technique.

You might try using a little gel or mousse on your fingers to get a little lift at the roots and then "head-banging" from time to time as it dries for more volume. I use blow-drying to get my hair to look sleeker and smoother, which seems the opposite of what you're trying to achieve.

All try that more often spidermom! thanks!

Your hair looks a lot like mine does. Check the first few entries of my blog for a hair timeline. What I've found works for me is cone-free products, daily washing, occasional ACV rinses, and shampoo bars. It gives me some volume to my hair because it is very fine, thin, and straight. If it gets oily, my scalp shows through more. I usually part my hair off to the right a bit, as it looks thinnest in the center and to the left, then I put it back in a braid. I always part when I have an updo where it is the least thin looking, because when all slicked straight back after a while I have scalp cleavage. I had a lot of hair loss due to hypothyroidism though.

fwiw, I don't think your hair looks that bad. Is this due to thinning from age or is there possibly another reason causing it?

hey your hair is so shiny and smooth? where is the fine texture you were referring too? ;)

Oh and thank you so much for the tips!

And no, you don't look like an idiot LOL. You are quite the handsome guy, and I doubt that you don't already know that yourself. :)

Hey eric, you were not being harsh in any way! I always appreciate and accept honest input! It could be my old age and stress related! :(

oh and btw there is no handsomeness in here! lol! So I wouldn't know! Just a dude going through an early life crisis, I figured I'd go ahead and get mine over with, that why I won't have to deal with it in my 40's! :p :D

CrystalStar
August 29th, 2009, 10:51 PM
Your hair is almost exactly like one of my best friends, except hers is blonde!

I'm afraid you might have to live life with thin hair, but that doesn't stop it from looking gorgeous! My friends hair is the envy of alot of people because of how silky and fine it feels! :D

GlennaGirl
August 29th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Holy cute dudes, Batman! You look like Gary Oldman (sp?).

I'm allowed to say that as I'm old, gnarled, firmly married and a little witch-cackl-ey. So I get a pass.

But...you are cute as the dickens. And your hair is just gorgeous.

Sissy
August 29th, 2009, 11:00 PM
my husband is also having a bit of an issue with thinning hair. His hair is short but also very thin so when he's bending over you can kinda see through to the scalp in some areas.

I've been watching him and realised that he's scrubbing and scrubbing hard when he washes everyday. Are you maybe washing your hair really rough? My husband keeps joking that he needs rogaine but I'm not sure how well those products work. I know they sell a Rogaine Mousse now... ever considered that sort of product? I know someone mentioned shampoo bars and that might be worth a try although I seem to lose more hair when I use them.

Anyhow, what others have said is true... your hair looks very nice.. shiny and soft.

yellowchariot
August 29th, 2009, 11:03 PM

I'm allowed to say that as I'm old, gnarled, firmly married and a little witch-cackl-ey. So I get a pass.

^ Hey now!!! Don't make me report you to the moderators! :o Nah J/K *hacks and coughs like an old man :puke: hehe*

Also on a side note, I can wear pulled back styles, and not get the "thinness" effect! So that's a big plus

yellowchariot
August 29th, 2009, 11:07 PM
my husband is also having a bit of an issue with thinning hair. His hair is short but also very thin so when he's bending over you can kinda see through to the scalp in some areas.

I've been watching him and realised that he's scrubbing and scrubbing hard when he washes everyday. Are you maybe washing your hair really rough? My husband keeps joking that he needs rogaine but I'm not sure how well those products work. I know they sell a Rogaine Mousse now... ever considered that sort of product? I know someone mentioned shampoo bars and that might be worth a try although I seem to lose more hair when I use them.

Anyhow, what others have said is true... your hair looks very nice.. shiny and soft.

Hey Sissy thanks!
I don't really scrub my hair rough at all. I do however dig in with my finger nails sometimes just to massage my scalp and get the blood flowing, but that's about it. I just might to check into that Rogaine Mousse. . . :hmm:

Shiva
August 29th, 2009, 11:09 PM
what no mega-tek or monistat http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/crackhead.gif recommendations?

I think your hair is just fine, dude. ;)

patience
August 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
Your hair looks fine (no pun intended :) ). It looks shiny and silky :thumbsup:

Embrace thin hair with me... well, not with me ;), but you know what I mean.

StarShine
August 29th, 2009, 11:28 PM
I would not be so concerned with your scalp showing, it isn't bad at all. I have fine hair too, and you can see my scalp when I part my hair a certain way, especially my widow's peak.

Are you experiencing hair loss or hair thinning, or has this always been the amount of hair you've had?

Since you've mentioned early mid life crisis, I'm assuming you've started thinning. If this is the case and you'd like to combat it, there are things you can do. You seem like a good candidate for topical treatments, as you still have hair on top of your head. Once a hair has been gone for 36 months, it's usually gone for good, but you can actually regrow hair within that time frame and halt further hair loss.

I'd do scalp massages with essential oils, but don't go nuts and do it twice a day, as you can develop a sensitivity. Search for essential oils on this forum (all forums, not just mane) and you'll find some great tips.

Another product I use to keep my hair from shedding so much at the crown is Folligen by skinbiology.com, love it , Love It, LOVE IT!

Hope I didn't offend you by offering hair loss advice, because you really aren't thinning that bad. But the saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is so true when it comes to thinning hair. It's good you're doing things now, rather than waiting.

Nouveaux
August 29th, 2009, 11:31 PM
My scalp shows as well, although I think it may be aggravated by my trich, it's also slightly apparent in areas I don't pull from. I think it's one of the hazards of fine hair. I think you have gotten some good advice on it however :D

I love the one labeled 'Back view of top', your hair looks particularly soft and shiny in that one , hehe.

Sigzephyr
August 29th, 2009, 11:40 PM
I am linking to a thread on another forum re using castor oil to thicken hair. I definately think it is worth a try as my eyelashes have really grown a lot and thicker since I have been applying it.
http://louiseannette.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=topicalsandactives&action=display&thread=462

pradabacon
August 29th, 2009, 11:40 PM

*gasp* He does look a little like Gary!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/600full-gary-oldman.jpg

Gary Oldman is my favorite actor of all time, hands down.

YC, you apparently look like several famously sexay long-haired guys. :eyebrows: That's the third one I've seen a comparison to, and you really do resemble them all.
[/hijack]

RancheroTheBee
August 29th, 2009, 11:45 PM
I think the goatee makes you look like a kinder, gentler Captain Morgan. But I just like to connect everything to pirates.

Anyway, the fineness: My scalp shows in some spots, too, and I have super thick hair. I think that hair just won't grow as much in some spots, depending on who you are.

Charlotte
August 29th, 2009, 11:47 PM
I'd like to pipe in and say that I am with Starshine. As I was reading through your thread, I was thinking exactly what she said. :)

My husband has always had fine hair that you can see straight through at certain angles and in some lighting but it is completely evenly distributed and it is still exactly the same 25 years later. :p

I say, if this is recent thinning (say, over the last couple of years,) it's probably the start of male pattern baldness and you want to tackle it NOW not later. I say give Rogaine or similar treatments a go and that way you'll keep your gorgeous locks. :)

PS I'm with Glennagirl seeing as I'm around THAT age too! You are a seriously handsome looking dude and I'm pretty sure always will be regardless....heh heh

yellowchariot
August 29th, 2009, 11:49 PM
what no mega-tek or monistat http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l226/NorthernXposure/emoticons/crackhead.gif recommendations?

I think your hair is just fine, dude. ;)

Thanks. . . huh wha? monistat?! :confused:

Your hair looks fine (no pun intended :) ). It looks shiny and silky :thumbsup:

Embrace thin hair with me... well, not with me ;), but you know what I mean.

I know what ya mean, I gotcha! (also no pun intended ;))

I would not be so concerned with your scalp showing, it isn't bad at all. I have fine hair too, and you can see my scalp when I part my hair a certain way, especially my widow's peak.

Are you experiencing hair loss or hair thinning, or has this always been the amount of hair you've had?

Since you've mentioned early mid life crisis, I'm assuming you've started thinning. If this is the case and you'd like to combat it, there are things you can do. You seem like a good candidate for topical treatments, as you still have hair on top of your head. Once a hair has been gone for 36 months, it's usually gone for good, but you can actually regrow hair within that time frame and halt further hair loss.

I'd do scalp massages with essential oils, but don't go nuts and do it twice a day, as you can develop a sensitivity. Search for essential oils on this forum (all forums, not just mane) and you'll find some great tips.

Another product I use to keep my hair from shedding so much at the crown is Folligen by skinbiology.com, love it , Love It, LOVE IT!

Hope I didn't offend you by offering hair loss advice, because you really aren't thinning that bad. But the saying an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure is so true when it comes to thinning hair. It's good you're doing things now, rather than waiting.

^ NO, no! you didn't offend me one bit StarShine! that's ok, in-fact I'm here to learn all I can! I really don't think I'm loosing hair(knock on wood), it's just I guess my genetics, I suppose! Oh and about the mid-life crisis, I was semi-joking about that, but I might as well be having one now! lol
I'll check into some of those products you mentioned!

My scalp shows as well, although I think it may be aggravated by my trich, it's also slightly apparent in areas I don't pull from. I think it's one of the hazards of fine hair. I think you have gotten some good advice on it however :D

I love the one labeled 'Back view of top', your hair looks particularly soft and shiny in that one , hehe.

Thanks Nouveaux! I guess there are trade off's for everything in life! :o Though I'd rather have smooth and thick, rather than fine and shiny.

yellowchariot
August 30th, 2009, 12:08 AM
I am linking to a thread on another forum re using castor oil to thicken hair. I definately think it is worth a try as my eyelashes have really grown a lot and thicker since I have been applying it.
http://louiseannette.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=topicalsandactives&action=display&thread=462

Thanks Sigzephyr! I'll look into that as well!

*gasp* He does look a little like Gary!

http://i284.photobucket.com/albums/ll23/hootietoot/600full-gary-oldman.jpg

Gary Oldman is my favorite actor of all time, hands down.

YC, you apparently look like several famously sexay long-haired guys. :eyebrows: That's the third one I've seen a comparison to, and you really do resemble them all.
[/hijack]

Who is Gary Oldman?
ooh the dude in batman begins/dark knight
I've never known who he was either! lol

I think the goatee makes you look like a kinder, gentler Captain Morgan. But I just like to connect everything to pirates.

Anyway, the fineness: My scalp shows in some spots, too, and I have super thick hair. I think that hair just won't grow as much in some spots, depending on who you are.

Should've known it'd either be Captain Morgan, or Captain Jack Sparrow lol!
I've thought about that, I guess some of it depends on where the hairs are distributed and your own genetics. . .:o

I'd like to pipe in and say that I am with Starshine. As I was reading through your thread, I was thinking exactly what she said. :)

My husband has always had fine hair that you can see straight through at certain angles and in some lighting but it is completely evenly distributed and it is still exactly the same 25 years later. :p

I say, if this is recent thinning (say, over the last couple of years,) it's probably the start of male pattern baldness and you want to tackle it NOW not later. I say give Rogaine or similar treatments a go and that way you'll keep your gorgeous locks. :)

PS I'm with Glennagirl seeing as I'm around THAT age too! You are a seriously handsome looking dude and I'm pretty sure always will be regardless....heh heh

^ Ok I'm telling all of your husbands about what you ladies do on the internet, like harassing dudes about their physical features, and telling them that they are going bald! LOL J/K :p

I might want to give Rogaine a shot, I don't see if it could hurt anything could it?! No certain chemicals I should be concerned about?

Thanks To All of You!
I'm Still Learning!

OhioLisa
August 30th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Yellowchariot, your hair looks awesome. It looks like you take good care of it. However, from one finey to another, I think you might want to try some products that are a bit lighter and definitely cone-free. When I use heavy products or those with silicones, my hair looks lank and almost stringy, which in my case leads to the dreaded visible scalp. I also wouldn't recommend a whole lot of "product" as this can also exacerbate the problem. Just a couple of thoughts. Honestly, either way, your hair looks in pretty fab shape. Don't sweat it too much. :)

sorraia
August 30th, 2009, 12:40 AM
I too have fine/ thin hair and I am in the process of doing everything I can
naturally through nutrition and topical application of herbs, and massaging various hair oils,
and even onion juice with the hopes of getting my hair to thicken up. My boyfriend has been taking MSM for about a year now and his bald spot is filling in quite nicely. So check that out along with taking some biotin and multi-vitamins. As you probably already know diet/nutrition, and stress play a large roll in healthy hair.

I am more of a natural type girl myself and avoid chemicals like the plague.
The problem with Nioxin and any other commercial hair growing drugs is once you start you have to stay with it forever or if you discontinue use your hair falls out again,sometimes worse. It does not cure the issue it basically covers the problem up and there are side effects. Yea you may get your hair to grow back but at what expense in the long run. So be sure and research this before diving in if you are considering it.
Hope this helps ya out.
Also I wanted to tell you I think your pictures turned out very nice and I give you credit for running with us long hair girls on the LHC.

GlassEyes
August 30th, 2009, 05:22 AM
XD Monistat is a vaginal treatment cream that has been found to increase the speed of ahir growth in some people on this site, and the prevailing theory is that it stops certain weird fungal involvement, which speeds up growth. I'd try Rogaine first, and if that doesn't work, Monistat, or even Nioxin.

That said, your hair does look nice. You're using cones, so I'm wondering if you were to use cone-free stuff, whether or not that would improve how much volume you get. A lot of people notice their hair seeming 'thicker' when they go cone-freee, because cones are really designed to make things flatter/smoother in general.

rach
August 30th, 2009, 05:35 AM
looks good from here. shinny and healthy looking, you have nothing to worry about. i'd just say just make the best what nature has given you and go with it..........
as for your expression, i'd say you look concerned about us lot analyzing you :p
don't be worried........

Emichiee
August 30th, 2009, 05:49 AM
I washed my hair with Pro-V full/thickness 2in1, then I used a Pro-V conditioner. I applied Aussie strong hold mousse and blow dried my hair upside down, then all over to one side, opposite side, back and forth, trying to disrupt my follicles (if that made any sense..

I would stop all of the things described above. They don't solve the actual problem, if anything..worsen it.

As far as Pantene and other commercial products go - have you ever heard of Protein Denaturing?
Scientistcs conducted studies about male pattern baldness in 2006 and found out that often thinning hair is not solely hereditary...it has to do with lifestyle, diet and cosmetics.
Men in less modernized areas were shown to have a fuller head of hair much, much longer.
Now I don't know about your lifestyle and diet but I do know you use Pantene :p..which has a bunch of awful ingredients.
Your scalp is an organ, and if you feed it "crap" and all sorts of chemicals it will be producing poor hair.
That would be one step towards a more natural care.

Also, keep in mind you could have an illness (thyroid) or an hormonal imbalance (androgens). Be sure to get checked out too.
Vitamins can benefit hair, it would be worth a try and is a milder fix than anything a derm. would prescribe.

Aside from that, I think no matter what the outcome...you have a great face (nice beard) too. You don't necessarily need the hair :)

maaria
August 30th, 2009, 06:01 AM
I think youre hair looks good:), mine looked that too before, than I went to a doctor beacuse I got worried about my thin hair (beaucuse Im a female) and my doctor orded blodtests and there she found that I was missing zink in my blod, then I got a recipe for zink and I went to tha farmaci to get the zinkpills and now it has been 4 months for me with x-tra zink and my hair has grown 1,5cm (my babyhairs) so I cant see my scalp anymore not that much, Im so happy about it, maybe you also can take blodtest and figure out if your body is missing zink also?? Good luck:o

rags
August 30th, 2009, 07:11 AM
Your hair is gorgeous! Yes, you can see the scalp in a few spots - mine's just like it. It's the curse of baby fine, thinner hair.

What I do: except for using up some leftovers, I'm not using cone products all the time. They are designed to weigh hair down and make it sleek; that's something we definetly don't need! Shampoo bars are great if you can use them, or any other non-cone things.

I don't blow-dry anymore because I want to get quite a bit longer and it damages my hair. However, when I did, I used a round brush and pulled the hair straight up instead of drying upside down (got a LOT more volume that way). That's a cardinal sin around here, BTW! :p But my hair was short at the time, and I didn't care!

Medievalmaniac
August 30th, 2009, 07:53 AM
Everyone else has already said what I would have to say about your hair - but I think you have a wonderful profile! :)

Fractalsofhair
August 30th, 2009, 08:07 AM
Your hair does not look at all like male pattern baldness. I have a brother with an amusing case of that(he had knee length hair... Let's just say when a guy is going bald with male pattern baldness, very very long hair looks off. And he didn't take care of his remaining hair, so it did not look good), and you certainly don't have that. You appear to have a case of fine hair that isn't extremely thick in amount. I have very fine hair personally, and cones slick it down and take away a lot of the volume(and I have a crazy amount of volume to my natural hair). I'd suggest trying going cone free. Also, putting your hair up protects it, so if that helps to hide the fact you have fine hair and not an extreme amount of it(though you don't have thin hair), it's a good thing. Blowdrying tends to kill fine hair and basically make it get very angry and break off, making you look like you have even less hair(in my experience). Henna can thicken hair if you wanted to have red hair. Shampoo bars actually reduce my volume a teensy bit, but that's compared to SLS shampoo or Burt's Bee's, and they increase volume for other people. Washing daily can help with it.

Fiferstone
August 30th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Hi Yellowchariot, a fellow finey here who used Pantene for 20 years says try something else as well. The cones definitely made my hair seem oilier, I'm using LUSH Trichomania now, it's got SLS (I'm still looking for my holy grail SLS free shampoo), and so far, so good. Since I went 'cone free in 2003 (when I found LUSH stuff pretty much by accident), I find that my fine hair seems fuller and my scalp less visible. My thinning is mostly at the front of my hairline, right at what would be the "widow's peak" if I had one. My mother has the same thing so I think it's hereditary, and I'm not quite ready for the rogaine (might try monistat though). Seriously, find a good 'cone free shampoo, try coconut oil on your length before you wash (It helps to prevent protein loss and a jar lasts dang near forever), and also try an apple cider vinegar rinse (1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water), as the final rinse, and I think you won't miss the Pantene, my hair is shinier and fuller since I stopped using it, especially since I started using oil the night before wash day. I can also go 3 days between washings now, which also helps the breakage issue. Finally, I'm trying to be better about switching up the styles so that I'm not putting stress on my hair in the same place day after day. However, I too think your hair looks great as it is : - ).

heatherdazy
August 30th, 2009, 12:41 PM
I don't know if you've ever considered Rogaine, but I have some clients who have had astounding results with it after about 6-9 mo of use. As a man, your chances of your hair becoming thinner and thinner over time are high, so it might be worth a shot.

yellowchariot
August 30th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Yellowchariot, your hair looks awesome. It looks like you take good care of it. However, from one finey to another, I think you might want to try some products that are a bit lighter and definitely cone-free. When I use heavy products or those with silicones, my hair looks lank and almost stringy, which in my case leads to the dreaded visible scalp. I also wouldn't recommend a whole lot of "product" as this can also exacerbate the problem. Just a couple of thoughts. Honestly, either way, your hair looks in pretty fab shape. Don't sweat it too much. :)

Hey OhioLisa, is that what everyone here refers to cones as? Just a silicone based product? Because I had no idea what everyone was talking about! lol

XD Monistat is a vaginal treatment cream that has been found to increase the speed of ahir growth in some people on this site, and the prevailing theory is that it stops certain weird fungal involvement, which speeds up growth. I'd try Rogaine first, and if that doesn't work, Monistat, or even Nioxin.

That said, your hair does look nice. You're using cones, so I'm wondering if you were to use cone-free stuff, whether or not that would improve how much volume you get. A lot of people notice their hair seeming 'thicker' when they go cone-freee, because cones are really designed to make things flatter/smoother in general.

GlassEyes, yup I know what Monistat is. . . THOUGH I'VE ENVER USED IT, I SWEAR! LOL, I might wanna give Rogaine a shot as a last resort, then I just rub the monistat all over me! haha

looks good from here. shinny and healthy looking, you have nothing to worry about. i'd just say just make the best what nature has given you and go with it..........
as for your expression, i'd say you look concerned about us lot analyzing you :p
don't be worried........

rach, Thanks for those reassuring word! I do try to make the best with what I'm given, and in the end, everything does work just "fine" hehe! but for real though!
Ah it's ok! I'm used to being analyzed! One girl told me one time that I was like a "present that couldn't be opened" whatever that meant?! So I'm cool, I know that this is mostly a ladies dominated forum, and they have every right to suspect that I'm just a big ol'perv! lol :o

I would stop all of the things described above. They don't solve the actual problem, if anything..worsen it.

As far as Pantene and other commercial products go - have you ever heard of Protein Denaturing?
Scientistcs conducted studies about male pattern baldness in 2006 and found out that often thinning hair is not solely hereditary...it has to do with lifestyle, diet and cosmetics.
Men in less modernized areas were shown to have a fuller head of hair much, much longer.
Now I don't know about your lifestyle and diet but I do know you use Pantene :p..which has a bunch of awful ingredients.
Your scalp is an organ, and if you feed it "crap" and all sorts of chemicals it will be producing poor hair.
That would be one step towards a more natural care.

Also, keep in mind you could have an illness (thyroid) or an hormonal imbalance (androgens). Be sure to get checked out too.
Vitamins can benefit hair, it would be worth a try and is a milder fix than anything a derm. would prescribe.

Aside from that, I think no matter what the outcome...you have a great face (nice beard) too. You don't necessarily need the hair :)

Emichiee, thank you for the encouragement! I do try to eat clean, but I haven't recently, too many distractions going on right now! I used to take vitamins, but I slacked off as well! As far as my exercise routine. . . that kinda went down-hill as well! haha, but after Monday I should be back in the saddle again!

I think youre hair looks good:), mine looked that too before, than I went to a doctor beacuse I got worried about my thin hair (beaucuse Im a female) and my doctor orded blodtests and there she found that I was missing zink in my blod, then I got a recipe for zink and I went to tha farmaci to get the zinkpills and now it has been 4 months for me with x-tra zink and my hair has grown 1,5cm (my babyhairs) so I cant see my scalp anymore not that much, Im so happy about it, maybe you also can take blodtest and figure out if your body is missing zink also?? Good luck:o

maaria, I'm going for blood work on Monday, for health reasons (thyroid and heart) so I should get some details then! thanks!

Your hair is gorgeous! Yes, you can see the scalp in a few spots - mine's just like it. It's the curse of baby fine, thinner hair.

What I do: except for using up some leftovers, I'm not using cone products all the time. They are designed to weigh hair down and make it sleek; that's something we definetly don't need! Shampoo bars are great if you can use them, or any other non-cone things.

I don't blow-dry anymore because I want to get quite a bit longer and it damages my hair. However, when I did, I used a round brush and pulled the hair straight up instead of drying upside down (got a LOT more volume that way). That's a cardinal sin around here, BTW! :p But my hair was short at the time, and I didn't care!

I didn't know that these so-called cones weight your hair down! Gheez! I mean they're everywhere! Ice cream cones, snow cones, pine cones, traffic cones!!! How do you escape from them?!?! hehe

Everyone else has already said what I would have to say about your hair - but I think you have a wonderful profile! :)

Thanks for the kind words, Medievalmaniac!

Your hair does not look at all like male pattern baldness. I have a brother with an amusing case of that(he had knee length hair... Let's just say when a guy is going bald with male pattern baldness, very very long hair looks off. And he didn't take care of his remaining hair, so it did not look good), and you certainly don't have that. You appear to have a case of fine hair that isn't extremely thick in amount. I have very fine hair personally, and cones slick it down and take away a lot of the volume(and I have a crazy amount of volume to my natural hair). I'd suggest trying going cone free. Also, putting your hair up protects it, so if that helps to hide the fact you have fine hair and not an extreme amount of it(though you don't have thin hair), it's a good thing. Blowdrying tends to kill fine hair and basically make it get very angry and break off, making you look like you have even less hair(in my experience). Henna can thicken hair if you wanted to have red hair. Shampoo bars actually reduce my volume a teensy bit, but that's compared to SLS shampoo or Burt's Bee's, and they increase volume for other people. Washing daily can help with it.

Fractalsofhair, Thanks for telling me that I don't look like I'm going bald!! I will lay off of the blowdrying for a while and see what happens. I don't think I could pull off reddish/orange'ish hair or i'd try it! I do in-face wash daily!

Hi Yellowchariot, a fellow finey here who used Pantene for 20 years says try something else as well. The cones definitely made my hair seem oilier, I'm using LUSH Trichomania now, it's got SLS (I'm still looking for my holy grail SLS free shampoo), and so far, so good. Since I went 'cone free in 2003 (when I found LUSH stuff pretty much by accident), I find that my fine hair seems fuller and my scalp less visible. My thinning is mostly at the front of my hairline, right at what would be the "widow's peak" if I had one. My mother has the same thing so I think it's hereditary, and I'm not quite ready for the rogaine (might try monistat though). Seriously, find a good 'cone free shampoo, try coconut oil on your length before you wash (It helps to prevent protein loss and a jar lasts dang near forever), and also try an apple cider vinegar rinse (1 teaspoon of apple cider vinegar in 1 cup of water), as the final rinse, and I think you won't miss the Pantene, my hair is shinier and fuller since I stopped using it, especially since I started using oil the night before wash day. I can also go 3 days between washings now, which also helps the breakage issue. Finally, I'm trying to be better about switching up the styles so that I'm not putting stress on my hair in the same place day after day. However, I too think your hair looks great as it is : - ).

Fiferstone, Hm I never thought about protein loss! I'll check into coconut oil. I will also check out the vinegar rinse as you mentioned, it sounds interesting!

I don't know if you've ever considered Rogaine, but I have some clients who have had astounding results with it after about 6-9 mo of use. As a man, your chances of your hair becoming thinner and thinner over time are high, so it might be worth a shot.

heatherdazy, I just may have to restort to Rogaine, if none of this stuff works! lol! Though I do agree, it's better to make a move now, than later!

myotislucifugus
August 30th, 2009, 04:36 PM
The Chagrin Valley shampoo bar website mentions coffee rinses as possibly preventing further hair loss, it might be worth researching, and giving a whirl.

I have fine-medium hair myself, and I've found that dropping all cone products (save Aussie 3MM) and honey beer rinses help with volume

QueenMadge
August 30th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Your hair looks enviably healthy smooth and shiny!

No recommendations but I agree with everything said here:eyebrows:, and yes I am a very married female;-).

hennared
August 30th, 2009, 05:02 PM
I agree with what everyone has said about the health of your hair; good work!

I have lost a lot of hair the past year or so (no idea why, but that's a long story) so I now have thin hair.. I find that soapnuts give me really nice volume, though they are a bit of work to prepare! Also, I find conditioning my ends before I shampoo my scalp leaves my hair less flat from the conditioner.

As for thinning areas you might not like to see... there is a concealer product called Dermmatch that does a good job of covering up extra thin spots. It's certainly a pretty non instrusive way to deal with constant, not getting worse but not getting better, spots (as opposed to Rogaine which is a drug, and which I hear makes some people shed like the dickens).

Hennared

Robinlyn
August 30th, 2009, 06:47 PM
Your hair is beautiful! I have fine hair as well, I know how you feel! :)

ademtce
August 30th, 2009, 07:00 PM
if you're experiencing "balding" or thinning get all of the sulfate out of your house.
sulfates are cheap harsh surfactants which gradually destroy hair follicles - looking into sulfate free shampoos (like John Masters, Kenra, Peter Lamas etc...) and for volume and thickness cone free products are huge plus - in my opinion conditioner is not so necessary, conditioner and lotions are basically the same thing. and you'd never slather lotion all of your hair, so why put conditioner in if you hair tangles you just need a detangler (that's basically all the conditioner is doing for you) - although i do recommend DT (deep treatment) oiling 2 times a week for 8 hrs. to help your hair retain moisture.

there is also a program at KillerStrands (http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/) called 10,000 Heads (http://killerstrands.blogspot.com/search/label/10%20000%20Heads%3A%20Hair%20Strength%20System) you may want to check it out -

Lady Mary
August 30th, 2009, 08:26 PM
Your hair looks great! I can see why you thinks on the thin side though, has it been this way your whole life? I hope you aren't losing any extra lately. It would be a shame if you lost that beautiful head of hair :(

yellowchariot
August 30th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Your hair looks great! I can see why you thinks on the thin side though, has it been this way your whole life? I hope you aren't losing any extra lately. It would be a shame if you lost that beautiful head of hair :(

^ I haven't had enough hair (long hair), all of my life to even know if this is "normal" for my genetics. However my dad's side of the family tends to be fine, and balding around mid 40's! Though my mom's side of the family had thick course almost frizzy hair! So I guess I'm caught in-between somewhere! lol :o

pineapple pea
September 26th, 2009, 12:08 AM
My hair is actually much thinner than yours, so I feel qualified to respond. :D
Good luck finding more growth and thickness, but in the meantime, if you don't feel confident, try Toppik. It's a keratin powder that you can buy in a shade to match your hair color (based on my experience, you need the blond, not the light brown). You sprinkle it on, and it hides the thinness by making the scalp the same color as your hair. It is the only way I can wear my hair down! Now, I wonder sometimes if it's good for my hair, but so far so good. At first, I was using it with hairspray as directed, and it made me lose more hair. I assumed this was because hairspray is evil and sticky, and now that I don't use it, I haven't had any problems.
Anyway, I'm still trying to figure out the cause of my hairloss so I can treat it, but I recommend Toppik for confidence in the meantime.

Unzadi
September 26th, 2009, 05:38 AM
:small threadjack:

Ranchero, I like the way you think. Nothing at all wrong with connecting everything to pirates.

:end threadjack:

Another firmly married gal joining the fine hair is fine chorus. Reminds me of my DH's hair when we were dating.

hmmm
September 26th, 2009, 10:08 AM

I've been watching him and realised that he's scrubbing and scrubbing hard when he washes everyday.

My SO does the exact same thing! I've since told him off for it and got him off sulphates, it looks a little better now. I also got him on conditioner, which he hardly ever used before, but for now he only uses a cheap coney one. Could that be bad for thinning/thin hair? He's definitely not balding, he's much too young for that, and it's not in his genes.

Thin hair, as in the pictures the OP posted, is totally salvageable, I had hair like that on my sides too, for years. It was switching to non SLS shampoos and doing scalp massages that did the trick I think. It may have also been the henna, I don't know. Other possible things include an improved diet and drinking lots of green tea (hey, it works for my skin!)

As for balding, if that is what you could be going through, while it can be treated in the initial stages, and possibly postponed until late in life or avoided altogether (not sure about the latter), in the later stages there's very little you can do about it. I don't think you're balding, your hair is just a little bit on the thin side, so I'm sure it'll get better. But, if anybody (male) on your mom's side of the family has a tendency to go bald, I would consult a doctor. Unless it gets better really quickly :P

Good luck, I really love your hair! -touches-

yellowchariot
September 27th, 2009, 06:05 PM
I had almost forgot about this thread :o LOL!

I'd like to report that after gathering some info and advice from some of the member here (Thanks LHC), now I've been using cone-free shampoo and conditioner. My hair DOES look fuller on top than these pics :)! My scalp is less prominent as well. I also let it air dry as opposed to blow drying. That might also contribute. I'll post some newer pics later on after about a month or so of cone-free and air drying techniques!

THANKS TO ALL! :thumbsup: