PDA

View Full Version : My first perm... (w/pics)

kwaniesiam
August 29th, 2009, 07:52 PM
Psyche! :lol:

As some of you know, I'm going to hair school. This was my first week, and we learned how to do permanent waving. Results of my first perm:

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/LHC%20and%20BME/DSCN0004-1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/LHC%20and%20BME/DSCN0007-1.jpg
http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a90/KyanAdiel/LHC%20and%20BME/DSCN0010-1.jpg

Prior, her hairtype was probably 1c/M/ii. Now its a 3a/3b. Yes, I'm a dork. I hair typed all of my mannequins. There are 5, this is Tiffany :D Surprisingly her hair wasn't that bad feeling after the perm, I did give her an LHC style conditioning treatment after to make it easier to comb through though. So what do you all think?

Fractalsofhair
August 29th, 2009, 07:55 PM
Oooo! That actually looks great for a first perm! It looks very natural as well. And very shiny!

apynip
August 29th, 2009, 07:59 PM
wow very nice result for your first perm! The curls look very natural. On two of teh shots i get distracted by the blue spot on her nose. and the fact she should look a bit happyer about her beautiful curls.

spidermom
August 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM
Pretty. Lucky Tiffany that she won't have a couple of inches of straight roots a few months down the line.

RoseRedDead
August 29th, 2009, 08:04 PM
That looks incredibly natural. Wow. o_o Color me surprised!

Speckla
August 29th, 2009, 08:22 PM
ohhhh, makes me want a haircut. I know what style I'd get if I were to ever go short again...yeah for pretty curls! my curl type too! :D

Addy
August 29th, 2009, 08:28 PM
I used to soak my girls in Downey Fabric Softner. :D

The perm looks great on Tiffany...

pradabacon
August 29th, 2009, 08:31 PM
Ach! You scared me! :laugh:

Tiffany looks beautiful. Nice job. :thumbsup:

Dez
August 29th, 2009, 09:02 PM
it does look really good!

kwaniesiam
August 29th, 2009, 09:18 PM
Pretty. Lucky Tiffany that she won't have a couple of inches of straight roots a few months down the line.

There is a such thing as a root perm, but I'd definitely never get one because of the straight, flat roots coming in :scared:

I used to soak my girls in Downey Fabric Softner. :D

The perm looks great on Tiffany...

Fabric softener? I might try that, I just did an SMT on this one :)

Thanks everyone! Perm rolling is a lot harder and takes way more time than it looks like.

RancheroTheBee
August 30th, 2009, 12:15 AM
Wow, that looks pretty beautiful, actually. Damn Tiffany with her beautiful virgin hair.

LutraLutra
August 30th, 2009, 03:22 AM
Tiff's hair looks great, but I think she needs some extra body...

Liluri
August 30th, 2009, 03:28 AM
Oh dear extra body LOL :rollin:

Love the perm, on the model, well done

GlassEyes
August 30th, 2009, 05:16 AM
It must've taken a while. My sister used to complain when she first started about the perms...then she got to finger waves, which she still hates.

Anyway, looks good, and I bet you're going to make a lot of money using LHC treatments. xD;

Schnail
August 30th, 2009, 05:19 AM
LOL on the extra body too. :D Tiffany looks fantastic.

vindo
August 30th, 2009, 05:51 AM
It looks very natural!
I was always very scared of perming peoples hair cause I knew I was doing damage..^^

elaineflowers
August 30th, 2009, 05:56 AM
well done, it looks really nice..... you're on your way to success.
xxxxxxxxx

Tornerose
August 30th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Awensome...It looks very natural :applause

Is there a special technique to rolling up the hair or something?
(I'm thinking this could be useful knowledge for when I use perm rollers on wet hair...:couch: )

Medievalmaniac
August 30th, 2009, 06:16 AM
Thanks everyone! Perm rolling is a lot harder and takes way more time than it looks like.

I know when I used to get my hair permed in h.s. it would take the girl an hour just to roll it, and my hair was only about apl at that point. I had a friend with waist-length hair who permed it and hers took up to three hours to roll. Kudos, you got great results for your first time!!

Shiva
August 30th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Very nice perm, indeed. Years ago I would've killed for curls like that.

:)

Chrissy
August 30th, 2009, 06:39 AM
It looks really good!!! I used to be a perm addict so I know how long they take to roll. Good job!!!

kdaniels8811
August 30th, 2009, 06:51 AM
You scared me! Then I saw it was a mannequin, which looks lovely by the way. You did a nice, even job rolling out the curls. Very, very pretty! Now if it would not just make my hair all break off and the roots would not come in flat... I do love the way it looks, you done good.

Addy
August 30th, 2009, 08:23 AM
Fabric softener? I might try that, I just did an SMT on this one :)

Believe it or not... YES! The blue liquid fabric softner. Please soak her upside down in a bucket though and rinse her in the sink! I rinsed in the bathtub and did my first full split since I was a kid when I took a shower! :agape:

It works very well though! I soaked them for awhile. :D Makes them very soft!

Addy
August 30th, 2009, 08:32 AM
Oh and I loved to do spirals the most, even though it took so long to roll! I'd have a fellow student come up to me and want to help but I always shoed them away because two people rolling one head ruins the curl pattern of the one who started the client, therefore ruining the perm in my opinion. :( My best tip on a spiral was $20 in beauty school. :cool:

I don't practice anymore but I do keep my license up though just incase. :) I still have, after all these years family say, will you do this, can you do that? Sometimes I do it, sometimes I don't. Depends on how I feel. I haven't done a perm in YEARS and I think my last perm on my hair was over 8 years ago! :D

I heard some jabber jaw on the radio say perminant waves are coming back! :eek:

eadwine
August 31st, 2009, 09:05 AM
Please soak her upside down in a bucket though and rinse her in the sink! I rinsed in the bathtub and did my first full split since I was a kid when I took a shower! :agape:
WOOOPS!!!!

ETA: by the way, looking good, that perm!

kwaniesiam
September 1st, 2009, 07:13 PM

(I'm thinking this could be useful knowledge for when I use perm rollers on wet hair...:couch: )

You can look up various rolling patterns and techniques. I just did a basic 9 section blocked perm, I think a bricklayer pattern might be easier to do on yourself.

It must've taken a while. My sister used to complain when she first started about the perms...then she got to finger waves, which she still hates.

Anyway, looks good, and I bet you're going to make a lot of money using LHC treatments. xD;

You bet! In 2-3 years I hope all the local LHCers (and some not so local) are flocking to my salon for henna treatments, deep moisture treatments, S&D's and honest half inch trims :D

Believe it or not... YES! The blue liquid fabric softner. Please soak her upside down in a bucket though and rinse her in the sink! I rinsed in the bathtub and did my first full split since I was a kid when I took a shower! :agape:

It works very well though! I soaked them for awhile. :D Makes them very soft!

Eek! I'll give that a try this weekend, most of them feel okay but on two of them, the hair is just awful and so tangly.

camirra555
September 1st, 2009, 09:13 PM
Pretty! Good job, would never guess it was your first time

plainjanegirl
September 1st, 2009, 09:30 PM

so you perm your hair or you can use the perm rollers to sleep in and get permy looking hair? I love the look of perms, but don't wanna risk it with my hair right now.

Aditi
September 2nd, 2009, 12:27 AM
Great job :thumbsup: Tiffany looks good in that curly hair :)

brok3nwings
September 2nd, 2009, 04:18 AM
I think you did a good job! I personally like big curls but i know there are some people out there that prefer these. i was thinking and i have a question. Even when i curl my hair at home the ends (that normally have less hair) come out like in your manequin, more curlier (or looking like it) and that doesnt seam natural to me. Maybe for a wonderful natural looking there should be two different rollers for ends and roots? or maybe people just have to get a haircut after a perm to avoid it? hmm...

Buddaphlyy
September 2nd, 2009, 08:32 AM
Great job, it looks very natural. Tiffany should smile more to show her appreciation, lol.

Nicoliee
January 20th, 2011, 06:11 AM
Love it! Makes me want to get another perm!..

LawyerGirl
January 20th, 2011, 06:19 AM
Oh wow! That makes me wish I had curls! Lovely!

craftybunn
January 20th, 2011, 06:43 AM
OOOH! It's very shiny. I can totally tell you gave Tiff a SMT!
I have a question, being ignorant of cosmetology. When you are working on those mannequin heads. Do you have a base to anchor them down or are they just swinging around from your cluthces as you work on each section. Strange question I know. It is just something that I always have wondered about.

Also, funny story related to mannequin heads. I was walking out to my car at my college apartment complex on a hot summer day. I walk up between my car and the one parked to the left to unlock my driver's door. EEEK! My heart almost stopped and I froze. Someone was slumped over in the passenger seat and the windows were rolled all the way up!! It must have been 200 degrees inside there. I just knew they were in serious danger or dead!!! Nope. :p It was just my neighbors cosmetology head. Phew. Be still my beating heart.

UltraBella
January 20th, 2011, 08:07 AM
You scared me !!!!!!!!!! What a mean trick !
The perm looks great :) I am just glad it is not on YOUR head !

melrose1985
January 20th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Very pretty! It came out great. My mom bought me a head with real hair and I named it Heidi Head!

nereida
January 20th, 2011, 09:06 AM
That looks just awesome :) Great job! I remember when my mother used to wear hair like this, when it was really popular in Poland - she was looking just like another person. Unfortunately it's not popular here now, because it causes hair damage :(

lapushka
January 20th, 2011, 09:44 AM
You did great, and you styled it properly! When I had a perm a few years ago, the stylist had no clue on how to style curly hair, and so I ended up a badly conditioned, moussed, badly diffused, half combed out frizz poodle. The perm itself was okay, but it's what they did to it after!

Dragon
January 20th, 2011, 11:10 AM
You did a great job for a first perm.

heidihug
January 20th, 2011, 11:18 AM
Tell me about it! I roll my dampish hair in perm rods to get the look you see in my signature pic below. When I do this (once, maybe twice a year) I have to set aside at least four hours throughout the day for the roll-up, several low-heat blow-drying sessions, unrolling and careful separation of the strands with my fingers.

Yours looks great!

Anywhere
January 20th, 2011, 11:31 AM
Glad you gave her hair a good boost of moisture after such a potentially damaging proceedure. ;)

I think it looks very nice.

pepperminttea
January 20th, 2011, 12:22 PM
That looks so much nicer than my perm ever did! :)

Kaelee
January 20th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Pretty! I had a perm once that looked sort of like that and I thought it was awesome! It also didn't seem to damage my hair (but I had very healthy hair and I only got one perm.)

Muse
January 20th, 2011, 01:48 PM
Wow, this is a pretty old thread.

I really love the look of the curls. Is it real hair or a substitute?

curlymarcia
January 20th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Is amazing, it looks very natural. If I see a person with these perm I would never think it is a perm because my hair looks like that (my curls depends on the humidity, but most days are like your perm ones). I can't believe is your first one. Congratulations for the well done perm!

jojo
January 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM
Tiffany looks lovely, but I hope you have told her how to look after her hair!

thatjengirl1
January 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM
Wow very nice! looks professional to me :D

Saila_
January 26th, 2011, 11:14 PM
OH MY GOODNESS! That's my hair! The cut, the curls, the part, EVERYTHING except my hair is darker! (And natural, of course.) Compare the 2nd picture to: http://public.fotki.com/SaliaHair/hair-bio/01-22-11.html

ibleedlipstick
January 27th, 2011, 12:30 AM
Soooo pretty. Makes me a tiny bit tempted :p