PDA

View Full Version : My first "why don't you cut..." comment

Heavenly Locks
August 29th, 2009, 07:09 PM
I am marking this as some sort of milestone. :shrug:

Yesterday at my job, my coworker (who always makes positive comments about my hair/nails/makeup etc.) saw me take my bun down to re-do the pins and after she went on and on about how lovely it is, she asked "Why don't you cut it to about here?" pointing to APL on herself.

I had two thoughts, one was, if it's soooo nice and blah blah blah...why would you want me to cut it? Also, isn't telling someone you think they should cut their hair akin to recommending weight loss or gain, or getting a nose job or something? It's my body and I like it this way!

I just said "I've had it that short before and I like it long :) I can't wait to see it down to here." and I pointed to my bum. She just shrugged and told me that she was going to get a hair cut because hers is just too thick to do anything with.

Then I changed the subject to COing and coconut oil. She was fascinated. Thanks LHC for giving me the confidence not to get snarky, and not to get my feelings hurt that she didn't "like" or accept my hair. :flower:

spidermom
August 29th, 2009, 07:13 PM
Some people see a good thing and have ideas about making it better. I've been working out very hard since January, and my DH told me a few days ago "you need to work on your abs and butt."

Uh...............thanks. ??

Redheaded Raven
August 29th, 2009, 07:17 PM
She my be jealous of your pretty hair and if you cut it in her mind it would make her look better Imo

Ardaris
August 29th, 2009, 07:32 PM
She my be jealous of your pretty hair and if you cut it in her mind it would make her look better Imo
Yes, I'm in according with you... I really like long haired girls and when people said "why don't you cut..." I'm very angry!!! I hate them, because they aren't patient and they aren't able to grow their hair!!!:D

jasper
August 29th, 2009, 07:38 PM
Milestone, yes! That's the way look at it. If I ever get that comment, I'll feel that I've arrived.

doro357
August 31st, 2009, 06:58 AM
I get that from my family all the time. They tell me i should get some kind of style.

The thing that gets me is that I'm Muslim and wear a scarf . What style would anyone see?

CRAZY!

Copasetic
August 31st, 2009, 07:24 AM
No one has ever asked me why I don't cut my hair :( Here's hoping someone does.

Lamb
August 31st, 2009, 07:49 AM
I am marking this as some sort of milestone. :shrug:

Yesterday at my job, my coworker (who always makes positive comments about my hair/nails/makeup etc.) saw me take my bun down to re-do the pins and after she went on and on about how lovely it is, she asked "Why don't you cut it to about here?" pointing to APL on herself.

I had two thoughts, one was, if it's soooo nice and blah blah blah...why would you want me to cut it? Also, isn't telling someone you think they should cut their hair akin to recommending weight loss or gain, or getting a nose job or something? It's my body and I like it this way!

I just said "I've had it that short before and I like it long :) I can't wait to see it down to here." and I pointed to my bum. She just shrugged and told me that she was going to get a hair cut because hers is just too thick to do anything with.

Then I changed the subject to COing and coconut oil. She was fascinated. Thanks LHC for giving me the confidence not to get snarky, and not to get my feelings hurt that she didn't "like" or accept my hair. :flower:

I think you're overreacting. Your coworker saw how lovely your hair is when it's down, and she suggested a length at which it could be conveniently worn down every day. Also, she is just thinking of cutting her own hair, and we are all guilty of projecting our own thoughts and plans to those around us, now and then. :flower: My own mother got her hair cut when I visited her in the summer, and as soon as I complimented her on her style, she started suggesting that I get a haircut, too. No snark intended, I'm sure, it's just projective thinking.

The fact that she was fascinated by your LHC-ways of haircareshows that she wasn't trying to be snarky.

Some people see a good thing and have ideas about making it better. I've been working out very hard since January, and my DH told me a few days ago "you need to work on your abs and butt."

Uh...............thanks. ??
:confused::confused: I'm dying to know what you suggested that he should start working on. :smirk:

SimplyLonghair
August 31st, 2009, 07:56 AM
I get that from my family all the time. They tell me i should get some kind of style.

The thing that gets me is that I'm Muslim and wear a scarf . What style would anyone see?

CRAZY!Doro357, that is funny, I am with you who would see?
I cover when I work and when I am outside of home, so who sees me? I do. And I like it long...:D So I get to please me. :happydance:

Medievalmaniac
August 31st, 2009, 08:33 AM
I'm looking forward to my first "why don't you cut it" comment!! Congrads on your milestone! :)

JamieLeigh
August 31st, 2009, 08:41 AM
Woo hoo!! Congrats on the milestone! :flower:

I'm glad you were able to turn the conversation in a nice way and not get snippy with her lack of tact. You were prepared!! ;) LHC rocks.

Juneii
September 6th, 2009, 10:48 AM
congrats on the milestone!
I got such a comment a few months ago from a friend of mine. he was getting his split end infested apl hair cut. he was just too lazy and broke to cut his hair.
anyway, we were looking at different styles in a magazine while waiting and suddenly he told me I should get a bob cut because those look nice :O and insisted on it the whole time we were there even though I said no. I was shocked and hurt at the same time since I think I look better with long hair.

thankyousir74
September 6th, 2009, 11:00 AM
I got those comments by one of my friends when I wasn't even shoulder length :/ But she's the really trendy type and doesn't like the whole long hair schtick.

So I just told her "...nah. Won't cut it. I'll just grow it out." And that was that. I didn't take it as neither compliment or an offense. But maybe I'll take it better when my hair is long and I'd be proud of it.

friskybiznus
September 6th, 2009, 01:31 PM
I get this every now and then from people at work, "When are you gonna cut it?" or "Oh, now it's long enough,you can cut all the brown off" (I'm letting my natural silver come in).

I look at it as thought projection, too. People tend to project their own self-dissatisfation onto others. We women really identify with our hair, don't we? I know I do (which is why, heck no, I'm not cutting it, thankyouverymuch!).:D

Toadstool
September 6th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Presumably she admires the quality of your hair, rather than its length.

naselflee
September 6th, 2009, 03:24 PM
I'v never received the cut comments from family or friends. They understand how long it took me to grow my hair. Plus i'v had pixie short hair all through high school and they use to ask me when i'm going to GROW my hair;)

pepperminttea
September 6th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Congratulations! I'm still at the stage where it's socially-acceptably-long, so mostly just nice and surprised comments ("wow, your hair is long!" - when by most LHCers standards, it's short...). Can't wait to reach this milestone myself, fingers crossed I'll handle it as well as you did. :)

friskybiznus
September 7th, 2009, 07:47 AM
This one is big --- my son (age 24) actually noticed my hair and said, "Wow, Mom, your hair is really getting long...it's pretty."
That blew me away!:magic:

Barbie Diamond
September 22nd, 2009, 02:05 AM

It seems that a lot of women who don't want to take the time to grow beautiful long hair encourage the women who do take the time to grow beautiful long hair to cut it.

prittykitty
September 22nd, 2009, 02:35 AM
For me it's the other way around. My mother in law has this very long beautiful silver hair and is always asking me to trim it. When I start to trim just a tiny bit she tells me I didn't cut enough off. She wants her hair to her shoulders and I continuously tell her that she has beautiful hair and should consider herself very lucky and that no, she does not want it short and that she would regret it very much if she were to ever go through with it. I also told her that if she ever makes a choice to have it cut short, that it will not be me that cuts it. So far she has taken my advice.

That woman at work is just jealous. If anything you might want to turn her onto this website. She may not say those types of things to you anymore and may even want to grow her own hair longer.

Flynn
September 22nd, 2009, 02:43 AM
Heehee, I think she might have been looking for a haircut companion! XD