PDA

View Full Version : My ends are exploding.

Heavenly Locks
August 29th, 2009, 06:10 PM
I haven't trimmed since October 2008 (trying for a year) and my ends have been really nice up until now.

I do the occasional S&D and hadn't been finding much. Now though, eek. If I pick up a section of hair, more and more of the ends are popped open and splitting. I am thinking it's a combination of the summer heat/sun (I have been wearing it up for the last two months when outside) and just old damage. I mean my hair was the virgin color from roots to ends but the majority of the length was pre-LHC. Meaning blow dried weekly, brushed rather roughly and flat ironed. AND the SLS shampoos...

Maybe the damage is catching up with me and the ends just can't take anymore?

The splits are not more than an inch up, so I've been S&Ding them away. Are my ends doomed though? It just seems so sudden...

CindyLea1
August 29th, 2009, 06:16 PM
Do your scissors need sharpening? That is my issue. I thought I was good, but when I S&D the next day that section is nasty again.

Heavenly Locks
August 29th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Do your scissors need sharpening? That is my issue. I thought I was good, but when I S&D the next day that section is nasty again.

My hair specific scissors are only a few months old? (I hide them, so I know they aren't box opening scissors *sneers at husband*)

nowxisxforever
August 29th, 2009, 06:22 PM
You should be OK. I have a similar problem, my length at the very ends tends to erupt in splits occasionally-- I just do a flyby S&D - not quite as precise as I will do with my length, I'll snip off a portion of a centimeter off of chunks of hair in such a fashion that it's still even, just a little flyby microtrim. I put mine in a braid with a long tassle and snip at the ends then. I have wave/curl though, depending on your hairtype/cut this may not work so well for you... works great for me though ;D

nowxisxforever
August 29th, 2009, 06:24 PM

This was also my problem with an old pair of shears, I recently got a new pair and my S&Ds are lasting much longer before I need to snip again.