PDA

View Full Version : Have you found a perfect hair routine?

eternallyverdan
August 29th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Then share it!

In the last few months I think that I've finally figured out a routine that's perfect for my length and type. I wanted to start a thread for people who are celebrating having found out exactly what works for them, and a starting point for those having trouble with product confusion. Obviously the same things won't work for everyone, but people with similar hair types might be able to give advice to their hair twins. Hopefully something like this doesn't already exist.

So I'll start. I'm using Whispering Windz Farm whipped soap for my shampoo with Herbal Essences Long Term Relationship conditioner (has cones) every 3-4 days, and then clarifying and doing an SMT once a month or so. I don't oil or use any leave-ins or gels; I just wash and condition.

Anyone else very happy with their routines?

(I though maybe I should put this in the Conventional Products and Accessories thread, but it's not just for people who use conventional products or accessories. Feel free to move it if it should be moved.)

spidermom
August 29th, 2009, 04:19 PM
CWC with diluted shampoo as needed (not picky about product brands). Olive oil to the bottom third of damp hair. Occasional heavy oiling before planned wash.

I still mix it up a bit. Sometimes I use cones, sometimes not. Right now I'm not.

ilovelonghair
August 29th, 2009, 06:54 PM
I found mine:
scalp wash with Natio shampoo. Use Nature Organics for condishener (any of these will do for me, but using the color protectant one now) and after it's toweldry I put in some aloe vera and sometimes a bit of tea tree oil in the ends.

Lilli
August 29th, 2009, 07:03 PM
I shampoo and condition with one of four cone-free pairs: Aveda Rosemary Mint, Giovanni Triple Treat, Suave Ocean Breeze or Garnier Body Boost poo and Triple Nutrition conditioner. I comb it and let it air dry. Then I use a hair toy to get my growing out bangs out of my face. At night I use an eczema oil on the ends (kukui nut oil, emu oil and jojoba oil blend.) By morning it has soaked in and makes my ends smoother b/c they are layered. I have found that the more product I use, the worse my hair looks - dull, sticky, flat. Leaving it be is best.

Phalaenopsis
August 30th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Wash and condition. I put some coconut oil in the length when I feel like it and I use selfmade leave-in (water + conditioner) when my hair is really tangly.

melikai
August 30th, 2009, 02:47 AM
I still like to experiment, so I hesitate to say this, but for the last month or so I've had great results with the following:

-heavy oiling on dry hair night before washing; braid for sleep
-CWC with cone free products
-herb infusions for final rinse (usually chamomile)

I also just tried a beer rinse and the results were nice, but that will probably only become a monthly thing.

JamieLeigh
August 31st, 2009, 09:15 AM
I've been doing the same thing for several months now, and I still love it. The only thing that has changed is that I now break up the coconut a bit with nice minty-smelling stuff that is still cone-free. :D

I CO with Suave Naturals tropical coconut conditioner or Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat conditioner twice a week. I oil with coconut oil, from the ears down every Friday night possible, wash it out the next evening with a CWC, using diluted Suave Naturals tropical coconut shampoo and the afore-mentioned coconut conditioner, or diluted Organix tea tree mint shampoo and the afore-mentioned triple treat conditioner. I do a coconut condish-honey mask once a month, and I clarify with diluted Suave Clarifying shampoo about every month and a half. :)

melrose1985
August 31st, 2009, 09:47 AM
For where my hair is now, I simply wash my bangs with Sauve and condition with sauve. for me it keep it very simple and no cones. I hope it stays this way.

kdaniels8811
August 31st, 2009, 09:47 AM
Herbs for shampoo every 4-5 days. Amazing since I used to wash every day or two due to my oily scalp. Catnip tea soaks for conditioning. Coconut oil on the ends while damp. Henna every 8-10 weeks or when my roots start being too obvious. New hairtoys every few weeks. Now if I could just get photobucket to upload my photos of my new pretties ....

goldenbrunette
August 31st, 2009, 11:41 AM
Yes! And my hair is actually noticably longer for the first time in forver.
- Usually I tie it in a ponytail during the day and when at work. I've also become a bit more carefree when it comes to getting messy; I'll let the wind on my hair or let a boy mess it up.
- I wash every other day with Kerastase nutritive and Daniel Galvin organic conditioner. Both are amazing!
- I'll use a kerastase serum as a leave in.
- The night before washing I sometimes leave cocunut oil in my hair - its not so attractive but it helps!
- Also, I've stopped eating so much dairy.
As hard as it sounds, keeping occupied by everything but my hair has in turn helped growth!

Akiko
August 31st, 2009, 02:54 PM
This routine seems to work very well for me now. I use VO5 shampoo and cone free conditioner.

-Condition length.
-Wash scalp area with diluted shampoo. Rinse.
-Condition length.
-Oil length.
-Condition length. Rinse with warm water, the finish off with cold water.

Sammybunny711
September 9th, 2009, 03:53 PM
The great thing about growing out for the third time is that I don't need to experiment any more. The last two growth attempts, I did all my experimenting and now I know what my hair loves, doesn't love, needs, etc.

I CO wash two to three days (usually on DD3 i'll wash) and then I SMT weekly and do a protein CO at least once a week (Mane and Tail CO for the first rinse and then Coconut Suave condish for the deep CO while I finish my shower.) I do a finger comb first to loosen everything and then I use a comb for smooth out my pixie hair.

I also use AVG and lavender oil on my scalp and I also do nightly scalp massages--with coconut oil the night before a wash. It's taken me a year and a half to get this routine down and stretch my washes this far, but so far, my hair is REALLY healthy and since I have cut twice, I have 100% LHC hair for the final growing out!!!

Kimberly
September 9th, 2009, 04:04 PM
I'm hoping I have found the perfect routine . . . that my current routine continues to work, because it's easy, inexpensive, and my hair is very manageable and looks as good as I have seen it in many years.

I have been doing water-only for about a month, but with an ACV rinse for hard water (otherwise I get bad tangling). I use a wooden comb a couple of times a day, I massage and scritch my scalp with my nails from time to time, and once or twice a day on days when I'm not preserving my curls, I use a boar bristle brush. I've never been able to brush before, but WO protects my hair and makes it less tangly, and the brushing makes it shiny and removes lint that causes tangles. My hair is so much less tangly now that I have been wearing it down a lot.

This is a big change from CV bars, no combing, no brushing, and wearing my hair up every day. But it looks better, so I hope WO continues to work for me. I'm a little sad in a way that my major experiments are over with if this keeps working, but I figure that I'll still be able to learn new styles and research what sort of EOs I could add to my vinegar rinse when I feel like adding some scents.

Congrats to everyone else who's found their perfect hair routine!

spidermom
September 9th, 2009, 04:05 PM
I take back what I said before. My ends are splitting like crazy lately. Obviously something I thought was the perfect routine isn't working. I'm so mad!

Kimberly
September 9th, 2009, 04:34 PM
I take back what I said before. My ends are splitting like crazy lately. Obviously something I thought was the perfect routine isn't working. I'm so mad!

Maybe it's something seasonal? I notice you're in Washington . . . isn't this the dry part of the year there?

marikamt
September 9th, 2009, 04:46 PM
I haven't found the perfect routine yet... have found some things I really like, but not perfect......
after a bit of trial and error here is what I am doing
* washing every other day w/ SLS and cone free poo and condish
* oiling w/ coconut oil (heavy) prior to wash, leave on a minimum of a couple hours
* tried my first SMT, loved it
* became a henna head- love it!!!
* switched from daily oiling (see above) to daily shea butter on ends- really like it
* wear hair up (easy where I work) 75-90% of the time
* only brush (now w/ BBB) prior to wash, use no seam, wide tooth comb daily
* take about a ba-jillion supplements (both for hair growth and general health)

I still feel a little greasy/ ooky by end of second day....not terrible, but I notice. Also, it seems to be my bangs and ends... the rest of my hair just doesn't look as shiney. Still not nuts about the "shape" (literally) of my hair..... feel like I need a clean up trim?

Am debating trying poo bars... found out I have more wave than I thought and I heard poo bars may help w/ body and volume. Am a little leary though... seems to be a very intensive program.....

I think by the time I am at goal (waist), I will have it pretty fine tuned..... 5 inches to go...... :disco:

spidermom
September 9th, 2009, 04:53 PM
Maybe it's something seasonal? I notice you're in Washington . . . isn't this the dry part of the year there?

It was very dry the second half of the summer. It was raining a lot during the past week, but the county fair was going on, so what else could we expect?

Naamah
September 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
I've only been here a couple months, but my current routine seems to be working well. CO with V05 conditioner every other day to every two days. I don't use any oils or anything. I think I want to try it though because my ends get dry sometimes.

Kimberly
September 9th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Am debating trying poo bars... found out I have more wave than I thought and I heard poo bars may help w/ body and volume. Am a little leary though... seems to be a very intensive program.....

From experience and reading all of the shampoo bar thread posts, it seems to me that how tricky it is to use them depends very largely on how hard your water is. There are things you can do about that, but there's a lot of trial and error involved. I was happy with CV bars until I started growing back from a major shed and had a huge halo of frizz (not the fault of the CV bars but they weren't helping to manage it).

It was very dry the second half of the summer. It was raining a lot during the past week, but the county fair was going on, so what else could we expect?

Of course, the weather must always be uncooperative at fair time!

Maybe you have at least found your perfect dry weather hair routine? I wonder what adjustments will adapt it for more humidity.

masterofmidgets
September 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM
The last month or so I think I've finally worked out a routine that makes all of my hair pretty happy. I do a mix of CO-washing and poo bars twice a week - the front part of my hair, which is bleached and dyed purple, gets the CO-wash, and the rest of my scalp/length gets a lather-rinse-repeat with a CV bar. Then I do a vinegar rinse and condition with Suave or Nourish Spa, rinse everything out, and finish it up by scrunching in some aloe gel or an aloe/jojoba/esential oil mix.

On the days I don't wash, I brush lightly in the morning to smooth out my frizzy sleep-hair. At night I detangle with a wooden comb, smooth in some coconut oil, and do pigtail braids to sleep in.

MissManda
September 9th, 2009, 05:04 PM
Nope, I'm still working on finding what works best for me. I haven't even tried oiling my hair yet (namely because I'm not sure where to actually buy the stuff).

I am currently using Nature's Gate for Damaged Hair shampoo/conditioner to help the ends of my hair, which still have traces of perm in them. The CWC method has really been a blessing! I also do a one scalp wash in between actual hair-washings because it keeps my scalp from getting itchy. Hmm, I really would like to know why it gets itchy?

By the way, eternallyverdan, your avatar picture is absolutely stunning!

frodolaughs
September 9th, 2009, 05:06 PM
spidermom, for what it's worth I'm in the same part of the country you are, and whenever we go from a dry period to a wet period I notice a TON of split ends. I think the hair dries out during the dry spell, and then when it gets wet it absorbs some of the moisture from the air, which tends to make hidden split ends suddenly more apparent because the separated ends absorb moisture and curl in slightly different directions from each other (like little hydrometers). Maybe I could prevent split ends by doing some kind of moisture treatment BEFORE the damage became visible, but I never think that far in advance.

back to the op's question, while I don't have a 'perfect' routine, I do have a pretty stable one--CWC 1-2 x's a week, air dry, and hair braided at night, and either bunned or braided during the day (BF prefers braids, but buns are so much quicker and more convenient, so during the week it's nearly always bunned & I save braids for weekends & vacations).

Susana
September 9th, 2009, 08:01 PM
I experimented with a lot but this is what I do now:

- I oil (coconut) the night before hair washing
- Shampoo the third day (Pantene Beautiful Lengths) and Conditioner (same brand)
- Use Tresseme spray before hair drying after letting air dry for half an hour
- Leave in a little oil or serum

Actually most of my current hair routine is coming out of LadyLongLocks page http://jjjlonghairphotopage.zoomshare.com/8.html

- As for updos - I am experimenting, I usually run late so I don't get very playful. If I have to wear it up I do ponytails, simple buns, Loepsie's sock bun http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I13J7ArHTkM french or fishtail braids or I just wear it down :)

- I check for split ends and cut them. I think I take off about an inch twice a year ( I do it myself usually when I am pissed if I think I brushed my hair too roughly) and if I find one and I don't have scissors I bite it off.

-Oh I detangle with a wide comb and brush at night if I remember with a boar bristle brush. :)

Reptilia
September 9th, 2009, 08:02 PM
I find my routine needs to be changed every couple of months. Something that works great now, won't work it all later.

mellie89
September 9th, 2009, 08:45 PM
For now, my hair is happy with washing every three days with Suave Coconut shampoo, followed by Aussie 3 Minute Miracle or Tresemme conditioner.

I occasionally use Suave Coconut conditioner or Mane N Tail on the length on the off days if I think it needs refreshing.

I love cassia and use it about once a month, mixed up with some Mane N Tail and honey.

Aaaand... I'm trying to keep it up during the day so I'm not tempted to play with it constantly! :p

teela1978
September 9th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Wash with very dilute sulfate shampoo (gets it into the nape and behind the ears better without using handfuls of product)
Condition with alternating cone-laden and cone-free conditioners, comb in, let soak in for 2-3 minutes and rinse out.

When I think about it (maybe once every month or so) heavy oil with coconut oil on dry hair, let sit at least an hour or so (usually while working out), wash/condition hair as above.

Cereus
September 9th, 2009, 09:00 PM
I do a CWC twice a week with Burt's Bees shampoo and Mane-n-Tail condish. This seems to make my hair the happiest. Sometimes I smooth a little shea butter, jojoba oil, aloe vera mixture on my ends after I've put it on my face.

redcelticcurls
September 9th, 2009, 10:40 PM
Well, yes, but it does change with the seasons. Right now, I'm on the summer to fall routine.

I usually water wash or CO wash my scalp with my detangler. If I need more cleansing, I use Kinky Curly Come Clean. I use the KC Come Clean about twice a month.

So, on a hair wetting day when I am not washing

-Detangle with Kinky Curly Knot Today.
-Regular conditioning with either Joico K-Pak Reconstruct Conditioner or Aubrey -Organics White Camellia.
-KCKT as my leave-in
-Seal in my leave in with mago oil, which is quite buttery at room temp. I use about two dime sized pieces - one for each side. Oil sealing in higher humidity conditions helps keep my cuticle down and reduces summer humidity related frizz.
-Brush through Kinky Curly Curling Custard with a Denman to ensure that I get thorough and even application. Then I scrunch in more to form and set the curls.
- If the dew point is over 60, or will be that day, I scrunch in JoiGel Firm over the KCCC. The KCCC is aloe heavy, and aloe has its limits of frizz fighting in high dew point. The JoiGel also has PVP/PVA polymers which I find are quite effective at combating high dew point frizz.

-Weekly ACV rinse for acidifying, which helps my porosity. I use 1/4 cup ACV to 2 cups water.

If I need a DT, I use Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose or Curl Junkie Curl Rehab. These two are also used more frequently in colder, low dewpoint conditions.

If all turns out well, I can get four days out of it. Sometimes it's two down days and to updo days, or 3 down and 1 up. I use a satin sleep cap, and it keep my curls intact and my hair less damaged.

It's a lot less complicated than it looks on paper, lol!

Winter is a different routine and I need more frequent conditioning.

If I have a blowout, I don't do a darn thing for a week, and it looks great. Straight hair is a lot easier on me.

AJoifulNoise
September 9th, 2009, 11:05 PM
I have found a weekly routine that works very well for me. I am very nearly a daily-washer due to a very oily scalp that gets itchy if I skip more than a day.

Friday: Full-strength, sulphate shampoo and heavy conditioner.
Saturday: No wash. (I usually wear my hair down or half-up.)
Sunday: CO
Monday:Gentle, sulphate-free shampoo and heavy conditioner.
Tuesday: CO
Wednesday: CO
Thursday: CO

Regular shampoo, with sulphates: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration.

Sulphate-free shampoo: Flower Moon Dairy Whip (any scent will do).

CO conditioners: Herbal Essences Break's Over Conditioner, Herbal Essences Hello Hydration Conditioner, Herbal Essences None of Your Frizzness Conditioner, Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly.

Heavier conditioners: Organix Shea, Organix Coconut, John Frieda Brilliant Brunette (also Liquid Shine), Herbal Essences Hydralicious Reconditioning Conditioner.

I also use coconut oil every time I wash, be it CO or S/C. Occasionally for a treat I use Night Blooming's Hair Salve.

After that I bun it and forget about it.

It sounds like so much work when you write it out like that, but it's really not.

meowmeow
September 10th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Yes, I'm very happy with my routine. :)

Everyday:

1. Detangle nape
2. Scritch
3. Shampoo
4. Condition

Done!

Bereft
September 10th, 2009, 01:15 AM
My hair care routine has been pretty much the same for years, with some small changes since joining LHC

Every 3 or so days, i CO wash with Giovanni 50:50 condish on the scalp, and AO GBP on the length, after oiling with coconut oil. In between those wash days, I wet my hair with a squirt bottle, and a leave in (usually the Giovanni) and then a light oiling with coconut oil, and braid in two braids (gives me better braid waves then a single braid).
I will claify every once in a while, depending on how my hair feels. I do a deep treatment every week to two weeks, usually an SMT. I've also switched to henna and indigo, instead of chemical dyes to color my hair.
I also have learned to wear my hair up more often, before joining I couldnt stand wearing it up. Now, I do wear it up now at least once a week, usually more, depending on if I'm going to be in the desert on the weekends.
My hair loves this routine, and has been uber well behaved for quite a while, even more so since I've added oilings, and SMTs. :D

Chanterelle
September 10th, 2009, 01:42 AM
I've found mine:
I wash my hair every 5 days with SLES (but cone-free) shampoo, condition with Guarnier Fructis coney conditioner, blowdry and then apply Schwarzkopf spray leave-in.

vdhendrix
September 10th, 2009, 02:19 AM
well right now i have tailbone length hair, from my roots to my brastrap is my natural hair, but from my bsl to tailbone is dyed black(im trying to let my natural color grow out) i havent found my perfect routine yet, but so far, i wash my hair everyday that i have to work, and on my days off i dont wash it, but about twice a week i oil my hair (a mix of olive, jojoaba, and coconut) and leave over night and wash of in the morning, and condition, on the days i dont oil, i just wash my hair and i mix a little jojoaba oil (a few drops) in my conditioner and rinse, i have been useing redkin shampoo and condisoner for a while, but i have just bought some sulfate free shampoo(giovanni organic, about $7 at wal-mart) that im goning to try with the redkin condisoner

vindo
September 10th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Yup...its easy

-Comb only
-Wash rarely (weekly-10days)
-Use mildest shampoo possible (Earthly Delight - willner.com)
-Wear up a lot with mostly forks, combs and sticks (gentle)
-Oil (Camellia) and leave in from day 4+ after wash
-AVC Rinse (right dilution is important, otherwise sticky hair)
-Never do anything damaging, heat whatever you can think of..

Thats all,

I also like red Henna but it is not changing anything aside from the color.

KaasKnot
September 10th, 2009, 03:07 PM
I'm still experimenting, but right now I'm working with sebum only. Twice a day I brush with a bbb, massage, scritch, and preen. I bun it before jumping in the shower. No migratory hairs or clogged drains, less water consumption, and most important: happy hair! I don't see me changing my routine any time soon.