PDA

View Full Version : SMTs causing oiliness?

annuscka
August 29th, 2009, 11:46 AM
Anyone had this problem? Or, I don't know if I'd call it a problem, but it annoys me that my hair has started to revolt against its (my) washing routine. Used to do this - Monday, wash and SMT, Thursday wash and condition "normally". 3 days and 4 days in between, thus. Don't really want to wash more because my ends are on the drier side - have gotten lots better with the SMT but their "regular" state is frizz-able.
This used to be fine, but now I've started noticing slight oiliness already at the end of day 2, which hasn't been an "issue" for about a year (used to have slightly oilier scalp than I've had for a while). It's still not bad by any standard, I guess, but it annoys me - mainly because I currently don't have time to do the SMT any other day than Monday, and prefer to wash in the morning (sleeping on it seems like such a waste of clean hair). So now, if I want weekly SMTs I have to wash three times a week, which I'd rather not. Or something.

I've done this SMT thing like this since May, and always have oil in it - usually two (jojoba and apricot kernel, or jojoba and something similar), and then two conditioners (no cones, but everything else probably - SLS at least, probably not much protein though). The stuff was always on my scalp too of course, about an hour a week. And while my ends have loved this, or seem to have, I'm wondering if the oil treatments might have been too much for the scalp.

Likely? Or is it just late summer and bad weather (I have gotten oilier skin too, which seldom used to be an issue).

Well, shall have to wash tomorrow anyway because the Sundays have become "try to avoid touching the scalp as much as possible while braiding, or use the oiliness to slick it back firmly" and, well. Don't enjoy. And now my routine is disrupted! *big sigh*

cocolover
August 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM
What about just doing the SMT from the ears down for awhile and see if it gets better. If not, then you will know it wasn't the SMT. I love the caramel treatment, but realized after the last time I did it and it took 3 washes to get it out, that I will do it from ears down from now on.