PDA

View Full Version : I think I used too much oil..

Ruvie
August 28th, 2009, 11:33 AM
So I did an overnight Olive Oil soak out of curiosity..I woke up at 10am..washed my hair with only water, and waited for it to air dry. An hour later, I notice its still oily so I use a protein cone free shampoo..that was at noon..its still oily, damp and dark from the oil! How do I fix this :justy:

Fractalsofhair
August 28th, 2009, 11:35 AM
Try CO washing. Other than that, harsh washing is what is needed to get the oil off, which defeats the purpose of oiling.

tangocurl
August 28th, 2009, 11:41 AM
Ummm...that happened to me once with olive oil. I couldn't bear the sight of bruschetta for a week. :eek:

Seriously, cheap conditioner is pretty good at getting excess oil out of the hair; YMMV.

teela1978
August 28th, 2009, 11:56 AM
I usually do a pretty heavy shampoo after a deep oiling. I would disagree with the idea that it defeats the purpose of oiling, my hair is definitely shinier after a deep oiling (1-2 hours, enough oil that it looks a little damp) followed by a shampoo/conditioner wash than just a normal shampoo/conditioner wash.

So to fix it... shampoo it. If you don't have an SLS or ALS shampoo you might have to lather up more than once.

Ruvie
August 28th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Thanks, Ill try that :P When I did shampoo I used barely any..but Ill try a more thorough wash!

RancheroTheBee
August 28th, 2009, 12:27 PM
I usually shampoo afterwards and see no ill-effects. My hair is still shinier and smoother afterwards.

Ruvie
August 28th, 2009, 12:39 PM
Ive shampooed and conditioned..the sides are still oily x.x (I hold down the "cold" button on my hairdryer every time I use it) I think i did overkill, yep. But its very shiny and soft, and my hair has a straighter hem o.o how is that possible

heatherdazy
August 28th, 2009, 01:04 PM
When I first read about oiling on this site, I went into the kitchen and put a big handful of hazelnut oil in my dry hair.

I don't know which was worse, the oil slick that was my hair or the overpowering scent...!

It felt nice after I shampooed it out, though, ha ha ha.

Aisha25
August 28th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I always put too much oil :lol:

Carolyn
August 28th, 2009, 03:02 PM
You could try doing a CO next if it's still too oily for you. Over oiling won't hurt your hair, it just looks awful until you can fix it. That's when you slick it back into a bun.

vampodrama
August 28th, 2009, 03:07 PM
CO works wonders for getting the oil out. Since I don't do CO washing (doesn't work for me) I always first lather my hair and scalp with conditioner, rinse it out and then use shampoo etc. Only shampoo takes a bit too much effort to get the oil out.

Ruvie
August 28th, 2009, 03:32 PM
Ok, so I took Heidi W.'s advice and mixed in some baking soda with my shampoo..then stuck conditioner in it for 20 minutes..its finally air dried and it is SHINY and SOFT and looks amazing! Next time Ill try not to do overkill with the oil :P

Sissy
August 28th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Ive shampooed and conditioned..the sides are still oily x.x (I hold down the "cold" button on my hairdryer every time I use it) I think i did overkill, yep. But its very shiny and soft, and my hair has a straighter hem o.o how is that possible

olive oil will tend to straighten the hair a bit after a deep treatment... at least it does so to me. I can usually wash it out by using an organic shampoo such as Jason followed by a cheapie clarifying conditioner such as Suave Clarifying Conditioner or VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying Conditioner.

One other note about olive oil is that, like honey, it could potentially lighten your hair.