PDA

View Full Version : pros and cons of co

mommy2one05
April 16th, 2008, 11:46 AM
what are the pros and cons of co? The last time I used shampoo was friday but today my hair was too itchy so I had to use shampoo. Also for the co is it better with cones or non cones or does it matter?

mommy101405
April 16th, 2008, 12:09 PM
I am totally not an expert in this BUT I was just reading the article about cones. It said that cones generally need a detergent (SLS) so they dont cause buildup so I would think a no cone condish would be better. But that's just my theory. Please correct me if I am wrong.

misspriss
April 16th, 2008, 12:28 PM
I believe no cones work better for me. Pros? Softer hair, cheaper product (I use suave), less steps in the shower, my hair doesn't feel dry after wash. Cons? My hair gets dirter when it gets dirty, like it lasts as long as a regular wash, but when it starts to look dirty it starts to look DIRTY. *BUT* my hair is really pretty short still, someone with more hair probably would have more hair to distribute the oil, so not so much of a problem.

AJoifulNoise
April 16th, 2008, 12:29 PM
The pro to me is that I don't have to shampoo as much. I guess a con would be that I can't skip a day, though I really can't skip much with shampoo either.

Many CO with cone-free. I can't do it for every wash. I use cone-free every now and then, but for the most part I am a conehead. So long as you clarify any build up, I don't see how it's any worse or any better than cone-free.

Of course, that depends on what your hair likes. If I were to CO with cone-free products my hair would be a mess. For some, if the CO with cone-ful products, their hair would be a mess. It's really up to the individual. There are no certain rules.

Loops
April 28th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Hi -

my hair is an utter utter mess without cones. Full of body - one big tangle actually. Depending on the cones and also the product itself (different products use different weights of the same silicones) (if you decide to use a conditioner with cones that is) you might not have to use sulfates. I don't use sulfates. I do sometimes use a little baking soda though - mixed in with a lot of condish.

The tangles for me get worse the longer I go without shampooing on no-cone. I also get tons of damage due to 'drag' in my hair when I try to comb/brush it.

But...most people love COing without cones.

Loops

Loops
April 28th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Oh sorry - I was doing a search and ended up replying to this - I guess it's quite an old post now!

Loops

AJoifulNoise
April 28th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Hi -

my hair is an utter utter mess without cones. Full of body - one big tangle actually. Depending on the cones and also the product itself (different products use different weights of the same silicones) (if you decide to use a conditioner with cones that is) you might not have to use sulfates. I don't use sulfates. I do sometimes use a little baking soda though - mixed in with a lot of condish.

The tangles for me get worse the longer I go without shampooing on no-cone. I also get tons of damage due to 'drag' in my hair when I try to comb/brush it.

But...most people love COing without cones.

Loops

It doesn't matter what works for most people or even what they love. It matters what works for you. If cones work, use them!

Oh sorry - I was doing a search and ended up replying to this - I guess it's quite an old post now!

Loops

It isn't that old. Thank you for searching for a new thread before making a new one. :D

Tangles
April 28th, 2008, 04:31 PM
I need cones. What I do is alternate regular shampooing with a stripping type of shampoo with mild shampooing on scalp only + conditioner. I'm too greasy to do CO more than once a week. I'm willing to wash every other day, so I don't really suffer from buildup.

Euphony
April 28th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Pros for me was that ummmm hmmmm...now I can't remember if there were pros. Oh WAIT, I remember, my "dandruff" went away, but in doing CO only (I did it for 3 weeks) I realized what I had wasn't dandruff, but buildup and dryness due to sulfates.

Cons...it took too long, I had to do it more often, and my scalp became incredibly sensitive. I haven't read of anyone else having that problem though.

So I quit, found a nice cone-free conditoner to use after my hair soap and vinegar rinse and I haven't looked back.

ETA: Cones for me are a bad thing. I thought I was good on cones until I started washing my hair less. Now instead of daily or every other day washings I wash every 3 to 3.5 days. The cones I noticed sealed my hair too well so moisture was not penetrating my hair until I washed, thus making my hair pretty dry. I nixed the cones and my hair is very thrilled.

Faepirate
April 28th, 2008, 04:57 PM
Pros:
Softer, shinier, less frizzy, better moisturised hair.
More movement in my hair.
Less grease accumulating on my scalp. My scalp does still get dirty, but in a different sort of way that feels and looks less icky in my opinion.

Cons:
Slight adjustment period? I haven't really found this but I know a lot of people do.
My scalp gets itchy whatever I do so no particularly detrimental effects there.
I dunno. I didn't really find many cons with CO. My hair seems to love it.

I would definitely not do it with cones though because you'd have to clarify frequently with a strong-ish shampoo, and that totally kills my poor, dry, sensitive hair. :(

harley mama
April 28th, 2008, 05:14 PM
Pros-
less drying to my curly hair
less cost
less itchies of my scalp
less static

Cons-
none

ETA- forgot to say, I don't use cones. They build up in my hair and cause it to dry out more.

buttons
April 28th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Pros:

no-cone CO is much gentler on my hair and scalp than shampoo.
My hair is way more moisturized.
It's less stripping so my hair isn't in a hurry to get all of it's oils back (shampoos strip my hair really bad) and my scalp doesn't get oily for much longer than it did when I shampooed.
My hair is less tangled and more shiny.
Cons:

If you're going to use a conditioner with cones (which I don't), you're going to have to clarify to prevent product build-up.
I :love:CO washing.

Patrycja
April 28th, 2008, 08:02 PM
Pros
Great for chemical heads,now that I know better :)
Less flyaways and frizz for me
Alot less evasive than commerical poo
Easier to comb after washing
More moisturizing than other washing methods I've tried

Cons
Adjustment period

I use non-cone VO5 Kiwi Lime Squeeze to clarify.The rest of the time-I use cones to CO.I do make sure I go easy on proteins.My hair has a problem with becoming brittle fast if I accidently use too much of it.