PDA

View Full Version : hard sebum beads

lora410
April 16th, 2008, 12:42 PM
They are making my scalp itch and driving me insane. It happens a few days after condish; which I just gave up because of other issues. I guess I need a good scalp exfoliation but cheyenne pepper+shower steam= burning eyes.Keep in mind I am a poo bar and acv rinse user.

mira-chan
April 16th, 2008, 04:14 PM
I have the hard sebum, as do some others around here we've noted.

For exfoliation, have you tried using a brown sugar scrub. If you don't want to mix it with conditioner as per standard rescipe, I've used it with Dianyla's herb gravy but even plain gelled corn or arrowroot starch in water would work to give the same consistency as conditioner to help spread the brown sugar.

Also sebum is an oil. Like dissolves like, so a scalp massage with oil before washing tends to degunk things wonderfully.

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 04:23 PM
I never tried this, but I wonder if sugar can just be mixed with oil? Maybe it would dissolve less than in a water based medium? (It always dissolves too fast for me.)

mira-chan
April 16th, 2008, 05:01 PM
I never tried this, but I wonder if sugar can just be mixed with oil? Maybe it would dissolve less than in a water based medium? (It always dissolves too fast for me.)

I don't see why it wouldn't work. I had that thought but never got around to trying it as my problem areas have hair growth that is dense and the sugar can't reach the scalp.

rhosyn_du
April 16th, 2008, 05:31 PM

It can, and it does, indeed, dissolve slower. I've been using brown sugar in EVOO as a body scrub for years. I love it.

Riot Crrl
April 16th, 2008, 05:40 PM
It can, and it does, indeed, dissolve slower. I've been using brown sugar in EVOO as a body scrub for years. I love it.

Awesome, I'm going to try it. I'm not worried about oily roots, I CO and that always gets out the heaviest of oilings. I also don't have the hard balls, but I have plenty of soft fluffy dead skin cells I'm always battling.

AlleyKitten
April 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Brown sugar in oil is my standard exfoliation thing. I use it in jojoba on my face, and in coconut oil on the keratosis pilaris on my upper arms -- both of them smell like candy! It can be pretty gentle, and it dissolves away in water afterwards which makes cleanup easy, just a matter of getting the oil off. I've never gotten it to work in conditioner, it always winds up a sticky mess, but oil has never failed me. My scalp likes it, but my hair does wind up pretty greasy afterwards.

The way I deal with my thick hair overzealously protecting my scalp is by doing all my hairwashing bent over at the waist with my head upside down. It's a little hard on some of my muscles, but it's the best way I've come up with to get stuff at my actual scalp and the hair right there, instead of the top layer of hair.

lora410
April 17th, 2008, 08:39 AM
I did this last night mixed with oil (messy stuff) I had to lean over the sink because the brown sugar clumps etc falling off my head as i was trying to appy and massage it. needless to say I LOVE IT. my scalp was even slightly pink after the exfoliation AND I have no more itchy beads.